Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The 41 refugee thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-18, 09:45 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
i've really been eyeballing the specialized allez to replace my old road bike, but the geometry appears to be more relaxed this year, so I'm trying to decide if the 54cm would be right for me, versus the 56. The reach of the 54 is 380mm, similar to my 56cm cross bike (which I really like) and 570mm stack (583 on the CX, although it has some spacers).

The 56cm version of the allez has a reach of 385mm and stack of 596mm and apparently 175mm cranks (I use 170 on my road bike). My current road bike has a stack of 55cm and a reach of (I believe) 385mm and I have a +17 120 stem on and saddle height of around 75cm from BB.

Anyway, I realize it's a lot of numbers, part of the problem at the moment is that no local shop has both sizes for back to back comparison, so trying to do my homework beforehand, I'm leaning a little toward the 54 as it seems to be a good balance between racing and endurance whereas the 56 seems straight up endurance geo.
Old 04-25-18, 09:48 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Always go shorter. You can always get a longer stem and raise the seat. If its too big you don't have much recourse.
Old 04-26-18, 12:32 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
I don't understand why cyclists wear gloves when its warm. Hand protection? Really? Speeding around corners at 30mph wearing next to nothing but you're worried about fingers, the last thing to ever touch the ground? If you are reaching for the ground with your hands in a crash you're doing it wrong and gloves aren't gonna save them.
Old 04-26-18, 03:31 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Reaching for the ground is instinctive regardless of whether it's right, and gloves do help a lot by getting torn up instead of your palms.

Demain, on roule!
Old 04-26-18, 05:06 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
I don't understand why cyclists wear gloves when its warm. Hand protection? Really? Speeding around corners at 30mph wearing next to nothing but you're worried about fingers, the last thing to ever touch the ground? If you are reaching for the ground with your hands in a crash you're doing it wrong and gloves aren't gonna save them.
My last crash (on a commute and quite possibly the first ride warm enough the entire spring where I didn't wear gloves) I got a huge gash on my palm and my knuckles, hand, and wrist were all scraped up.

Depends on the crash. Sometimes you reach out, sometimes you don't. In any case, gloves absolutely help keep your hands from being so bloodied. I can cover most of my road rash at work, but I prefer not looking like I just got out of a cage match.
Old 04-26-18, 06:19 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
i've really been eyeballing the specialized allez to replace my old road bike, but the geometry appears to be more relaxed this year, so I'm trying to decide if the 54cm would be right for me, versus the 56. The reach of the 54 is 380mm, similar to my 56cm cross bike (which I really like) and 570mm stack (583 on the CX, although it has some spacers).

The 56cm version of the allez has a reach of 385mm and stack of 596mm and apparently 175mm cranks (I use 170 on my road bike). My current road bike has a stack of 55cm and a reach of (I believe) 385mm and I have a +17 120 stem on and saddle height of around 75cm from BB.

Anyway, I realize it's a lot of numbers, part of the problem at the moment is that no local shop has both sizes for back to back comparison, so trying to do my homework beforehand, I'm leaning a little toward the 54 as it seems to be a good balance between racing and endurance whereas the 56 seems straight up endurance geo.
The Allez was redesigned to be a more relaxed, entry level bike for this year. The Allez Sprint retained the more aggressive geometry. Maybe consider the Sprint? There's also always the Caad 12 option.

As said, putting the hand out to brace the fall is kind of instinctive. And a glove will help keep the skin on your palm.
Old 04-26-18, 06:33 AM
tobukog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
When it's really hot and humid, having gloves also gives you better grip. The sweat sometimes won't dry from your hoods and bar tape.
Old 04-26-18, 06:45 AM
hubcyclist

Originally Posted by topflightpro
The Allez was redesigned to be a more relaxed, entry level bike for this year. The Allez Sprint retained the more aggressive geometry. Maybe consider the Sprint? There's also always the Caad 12 option.
Oh, I'm trying to get an overall less aggressive geometry, just don't want too relaxed.

Someone on another subforum here made a neat bike geometry web app, and the 54cm allez and my current bike as it's currently set up are not too far apart fit wise (hopefully the link works), which is why I was kind of vacillating.

https://www.bikegeocalc.com/#7Unname...9F172.5G30H30Z
Old 04-26-18, 07:13 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Originally Posted by tobukog
When it's really hot and humid, having gloves also gives you better grip. The sweat sometimes won't dry from your hoods and bar tape.
Plus, when your ride takes an unplanned veer onto a dirt road (just because you want to see where it goes) and you end up with enough dirt/sand stuck to your tires that they rub on the bottom of your break, a leather protection on your finger is nice to quickly rub off the dirt and stop that annoying rubbing noise.
Old 04-26-18, 08:20 AM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
Oh, I'm trying to get an overall less aggressive geometry, just don't want too relaxed.

Someone on another subforum here made a neat bike geometry web app, and the 54cm allez and my current bike as it's currently set up are not too far apart fit wise (hopefully the link works), which is why I was kind of vacillating.

https://www.bikegeocalc.com/#7Unname...9F172.5G30H30Z

I prefer bikegeo.net
Old 04-26-18, 08:55 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Plus, when your ride takes an unplanned veer onto a dirt road (just because you want to see where it goes) and you end up with enough dirt/sand stuck to your tires that they rub on the bottom of your break, a leather protection on your finger is nice to quickly rub off the dirt and stop that annoying rubbing noise.
An excellent point about gloves. How else are you going to rub sand/dirt/rocks off a spinning wheel other than cycling gloves?
Old 04-26-18, 11:11 AM
hubcyclist

Originally Posted by topflightpro
I prefer bikegeo.net
Thanks, I used that tool and the 54cm allez appears to be comparable for fit to both my cross and current road bike. I'll have to check it out to be sure
Old 04-26-18, 12:04 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
Reaching for the ground is instinctive regardless of whether it's right, and gloves do help a lot by getting torn up instead of your palms.
I broke clavicles gripping the bars all the way to the ground. Reaching for the ground is not _not_ right!
Old 04-26-18, 12:06 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
I broke clavicles gripping the bars all the way to the ground. Reaching for the ground is not _not_ right!
I find that the best way to protect yourself in a crash is to not crash. After that it's kind of a crap shoot.
Old 04-26-18, 12:37 PM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by Ygduf
I separated my shoulder and smacked my head, which most likely contributed to my hearing loss in my left ear. Also, my wife is convinced I concussed myself. I'm not sure how things would have gone had I put my hand out.
Old 04-26-18, 12:41 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
we all just need to crash as rarely as I do, but as well as Aaron does...
Old 04-26-18, 06:04 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I once crashed with my hands on the bars and it tore up the back of one of the gloves. I still have the scar on my knuckles.
Old 04-26-18, 07:21 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Hands on bar crash was the only time I've ever broken a bone. Slammed hand into ground between bars + concrete = spiral fractured bones in my hand. Didn't hurt that bad, but the repairing of it was... uncomfortable.
Old 10-04-18, 04:02 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I do it so my palms aren't so sweaty as to lose their grip.

Old 10-04-18, 04:05 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Why has the 41 gotten so dumb lately?
refugees

Old 10-04-18, 06:24 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2627 Post(s)
Liked 3,144 Times in 1,654 Posts
Road rash on your hands is a thing and gloves can protect. Yeah if you slide for meters with your hands pressed into the ground your gloves will get worn through but they help with scrapes.

I generally prefer to not wear gloves, I like to feel the bars more. I wear gloves in the following circumstances:

Road and crit racing
Track racing
MTB
when it's cold out.

-Tmonk
Old 08-14-19, 08:38 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

My PM (Powertap G3) has been reading high while coasting lately, taking a while to drop down to zero. Like I might coast for 10s and it will still bounce around between 1-10 watts before finally dropping down. Any ideas?

I saw something on Quarq's website (now Ptap owners) about some latent charge buildup or something that can be discharged by connecting one of the terminal battery leads to another piece of metal with some pliers or something to ground. Maybe that will work? I already tried replacing the watch battery.
Old 08-14-19, 08:44 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
My PM (Powertap G3) has been reading high while coasting lately, taking a while to drop down to zero. Like I might coast for 10s and it will still bounce around between 1-10 watts before finally dropping down. Any ideas?

I saw something on Quarq's website (now Ptap owners) about some latent charge buildup or something that can be discharged by connecting one of the terminal battery leads to another piece of metal with some pliers or something to ground. Maybe that will work? I already tried replacing the watch battery.
I think your G3 is out of calibration. I had this on a couple occasions with my previous Powertap hubs (but not with a G3). Powertap will recalibrate it for a fee. You need to call or email their service people for a return number and ship the whole wheel to them.
Old 08-14-19, 10:15 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Yeah, I've done that before (a few years back) and was hoping that it wasn't that... I'm also not to keen on how that will work post Quarq acquisition, like I'm not seeing anything readily available for that on the website. I can call in.
Old 08-20-22, 08:26 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Hey guys,

I'm considering getting a new road bike (frame) before I start base training just to make things more exciting. I have a low tier venge with aero bits, so this bike will be used as a training/daily driver/high QOL bike and not to race, except maybe once or twice per year in particularly hilly events. I'm currently on a 2013 TCR Advanced ISP and it's the finest bike I've owned.

I want something that is similarly low-tech, quick release, rim brake. Might get some Di2 for it, so it would need to be compatible w that. Doesn't need big clearance, might prefer it without that.

Any suggestions? Testimonials? I would not shy away from another TCR, but would also consider a tarmac, emonda, supersix, or something entirely different out of of those bike three, if I found the paintjob exciting.

Many Thanks,
Tmonk (David)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.