Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Underwear?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-16, 12:17 PM
rperkins146

Bikes: TREK 520/ GIANT DEFY 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Underwear?

Odd question maybe, but I read in an online article where this "pro" said that padded shorts weren't meant to be worn with underwear. I have a difficult time applying this theory. I haven't tried it, and it seems like it would be less comfortable.

My question to those who wear padded shorts:

Do you wear underwear beneath, yes or no?
Old 07-31-16, 12:20 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,491 Times in 2,844 Posts
Oh, hell no.
The purpose of the padding is to:
- Prevent chafing.
- Wick moisture away from the skin.

Underwear would get soggy with sweat and hold the moisture against the skin.
Old 07-31-16, 12:33 PM
WarrenR

Bikes: 2005 Peugeot Evasion 2019 Trek Verve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
If you invest in sports undershorts, that are made of wicking material,it just adds a layer to protect your chamois from some soiling.
Old 07-31-16, 01:00 PM
PatrickR400

Bikes: 2015 Ghost Panamao X3; 2015 Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rperkins146
Odd question maybe, but I read in an online article where this "pro" said that padded shorts weren't meant to be worn with underwear. I have a difficult time applying this theory. I haven't tried it, and it seems like it would be less comfortable.

No underwear. You don't want a seam to rub against sensitive skin and the chamois is designed to wick away the moisture. Wash the shorts after every ride.
Old 07-31-16, 01:18 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Only a short time ago (1 year), as a beginner, I would wear underwear and my cycling shorts because that just seemed what you do..... wear underwear between you and your outer wear, (shorts). I guess that I was lucky I never got chaffing or anything like it but when I was done riding and getting undressed to shower, my underwear were soaked with sweat and nasty.
I read somewhere to ride without underwear and just the cycling shorts, so I tried it. It did feel a little strange at first but after the first mile, I no longer gave it any thought. After the ride, I stripped down for my ritual shower and there was no sweaty nasty underwear to remove. That alone was worth giving it a try and I now ride naked under my cycling shorts.
Quick funny tale, my first few rides I wore underwear, cycling shorts and then over all that, a regular pair of sport shorts. It took a while to get used to the visible bulges wearing cycling shorts, hence the sport shorts. That was a slippery combination and it soon ended as fast as it began, lol
Old 07-31-16, 02:05 PM
jfries

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only thing between me and my chamois is some chamois butter!
Old 07-31-16, 02:11 PM
FullGas

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
you only go commando with cycling shorts.

last thing you need is your nads marinating in sweaty cotton underwear.
Old 07-31-16, 02:12 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
LOL - I don't even wear underwear with jeans and casual dress --- much less sporting attire
Old 07-31-16, 03:27 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts

No underwear with biking shorts, ever. Don't understand why that would seem less comfortable. Cycling shorts are supposed to fit like a second skin, and wick moisture. Anything that gets between the chamois and your skin would cause chafing, which is the last thing you want.
Old 07-31-16, 03:37 PM
bransom

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And don't feel bad for asking. Everyone asks when starting out.
Old 07-31-16, 05:56 PM
GravelMN

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you feel you must wear underwear with biking shorts, get synthetic athletic trunks that have flat stitched seams and no fly. They don't have to be compression shorts but should fit like a snug second skin. Get a let length just a bit shorter than the elastics on your cycling shorts. Take your time and make sure that there are no folds or bunches when everything is in place. While absolutely not necessary, wearing synthetic wicking athletic trunk style underwear under cycling shorts will bring none of the horrors often listed on thread such as this. If you get a leg length that comes very close to the elastic bands on your cycling shorts, nobody will be the wiser.

That said, try your cycling shorts without underwear and you will soon find that they are quite comfortable, BUT make sure you buy good quality shorts. Some of the cheap shorts are very thin and can be excessively revealing. Good shorts are made of adequate weight material with appropriate coverage for your personals. I've had good luck with Primal and Aerotech, but there are many good brands out there.

This will likely start a fire fight, but I don't put much stock in expensive chamois creams or the excessive use of them. Some people slather it on like the tubes and tubs were single use. I've used several and have found that the generic (WalMart Equate brand) petroleum jelly with cocoa butter works just as well or better and all it takes is the thinnest application in friction prone areas. If you are getting a significant amount of chaffing with or without chamois cream, you need better shorts, not more goop. I'm a Clydesdale who rides in rain, mud, winter slop or sweating like crazy on hot days, and often ride 50 to 100+ miles at a time, multiple days in a row and the only time I've had any skin problem was when I first started out with bargain basement shorts that were poorly designed and didn't wick well.
Old 08-01-16, 09:14 AM
Hermes1

Bikes: Montague Para Trooper High line

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never did as it always seemed counter intuitive to me, until about a year ago when I was leaving in a rush to work and was not paying attention. I forgot to take off my underwear before putting on my bike shorts. Lets say I will never make that mistake again. As others have said, the chamois in the bike shorts are specifically designed to wear against your skin.
Old 08-01-16, 09:18 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Quit wear underwear when I started bike riding.

Old 08-01-16, 09:59 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
It's one of the many obstacles of self-awareness you have to get over when dressing to ride you bike.
Old 08-01-16, 10:05 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
No underwear. That's why you invested in padded shorts/bibs.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 08-01-16, 08:01 PM
ChuckD6421 

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 5.2; 1986 Cannondale R800

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Right, shorts-only is SOP, just as not wearing shorts twice in a row without a wash is. At least take 'em in the shower with you, but better to have a couple and use the washing machine.
And btw, I have a couple pairs of shorts a couple years old that see normal weekly washing and drying and are holding up very well. No need to baby them.
Old 08-02-16, 11:53 AM
rperkins146

Bikes: TREK 520/ GIANT DEFY 1

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all. I may give it a go this evening of the rain stays at bay.
Old 08-02-16, 12:23 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Odd question maybe, but I read in an online article where this "pro" said that padded shorts weren't meant to be worn with underwear.

And he was correct. But wear some if you want.

/thread
Old 08-02-16, 12:36 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by ChuckD6421
And btw, I have a couple pairs of shorts a couple years old that see normal weekly washing and drying and are holding up very well. No need to baby them.

As long as you don't use the dryer's nuclear setting they should be o.k., but one worry with bibs in a top loader is that the straps can become wrapped abound the agitator and get stretched.

Everyone: Please inspect your shorts periodically. A few weekends ago I saw some serious butt crack during my rides. I actually told one dude that his shorts had seen better days. He was appreciative. Many years ago I was on the receiving end of such advice during the first day of a multi-day tour. A woman rode past me and said something like "Wow. You must have had those shorts for a long time." I thought to myself "I have, but how the hell does she know that?" After a minute or two I thought I had figured it out. When I finished the day I stretched the rear of the shorts out by hand. After the shock wore off I tossed them in the nearest trash can.
Old 08-02-16, 12:39 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Solve the problem by riding in a kilt.
Old 05-04-17, 08:55 AM
Sharkbait79

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely don't ride while wearing thong underwear. Did this once, was in a hurry and forgot to take off before hand and the results were not good and felt it with every pedal
Old 05-04-17, 09:05 AM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I wear underwear. Just seems more sanitary. I wish biking shorts had front flies too. Didn't wear any biking shorts this winter and didn't miss them. Re-thinking the whole bike shorts thing. I'm not a competitor just a guy who rides for fun on rides of 25-80 miles. Needed bike shorts when I first started - sore bum. Even used a gel pad and it helped. Ditched the gel pad last year. Bum not getting sore (still get butt fatigue but that's different) so do I really need the shorts anymore?
Old 05-04-17, 10:56 AM
MRT2

Originally Posted by practical
I wear underwear. Just seems more sanitary. I wish biking shorts had front flies too. Didn't wear any biking shorts this winter and didn't miss them. Re-thinking the whole bike shorts thing. I'm not a competitor just a guy who rides for fun on rides of 25-80 miles. Needed bike shorts when I first started - sore bum. Even used a gel pad and it helped. Ditched the gel pad last year. Bum not getting sore (still get butt fatigue but that's different) so do I really need the shorts anymore?
That is up to you. I like bike shorts, even for rides of an hour or so. Every time I go without, I notice the difference. Even for 25 mile rides. Wouldn't want to go without cycling shorts for rides of 3 hours or more. On the other hand, if you really insist on wearing underwear under your chamois, maybe cycling shorts are not for you.
Old 05-04-17, 11:06 AM
indyfabz

The one time underwear is quite useful is when someone is riding in threadbare cycling shorts. I really don't need (or want) to see your crack, so please inspect your shorts carefully and cover up if need be.
Old 05-04-17, 11:12 AM
MRT2

Originally Posted by indyfabz
The one time underwear is quite useful is when someone is riding in threadbare cycling shorts. I really don't need (or want) to see your crack, so please inspect your shorts carefully and cover up if need be.
Goes without saying. Buy a new pair of shorts every so often, then retire your old shorts or relegate them to use on the trainer during the winter, or as a base layer under some tights.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.