Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Oner EBB Thoughts

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Oner EBB Thoughts

Old 12-15-22, 06:45 PM
ThunderOne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Oner EBB Thoughts

Stumbled across something new to me, but it looks like it has been around for some time now so I bet we have people here using them. I am still in the process of piecing together my singlespeed and thought maybe this EBB would be better than the sliding dropuout. Seems like it would be. Purpose of my SS is to ride it similar to places I would ride a gravel bike as travel around. So rear gear swapping is needed.

Any ideas or thoughts on this?

Reference info:

https://www.squidbikes.com/collectio...bottom-bracket

And this is the bike I saw it on first that started this train of thought: https://www.speedvagen.com/2022-custom-team-cross

Thanks in advance

Old 12-15-22, 07:30 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
If you plan on changing gearing regularly, an EBB is the worst possible solution. The amount of adjustability is minimal, so you will have to add or subtract chain links every time you make a gearing change, and adjusting the EBB is not simple or easy. Either use a spring loaded chain tensioner or a horizontal dropout.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 12-15-22, 10:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I would look to build a frame with dropouts similar to to the All City Super Professional or the Otso Warakin. Paragon Machine Works makes a lovely version as well if you are going custom. The only place I would do an eccentric would be on a tandem or I absolutely had to turn whatever random frame I had into a single speed that I wasn't changing gearing on or anything but I wouldn't do that personally. I would get the frame modified to be a single speed/fixed gear or better yet just get a dedicated frame with the geometry I wanted or find one of the available options like the AC or some of the Otso frames (they have others with similar dropouts) and potentially others. I hate the look of the conventional sliding dropouts for QR or thru axle but the enclosed stuff looks good or if I am building a plain old road fixed gear I would just use track ends and not bother with anything else.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-15-22, 10:49 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
What they said above is true and all against the EBB method.

An EBB may be prone to creaking as well - however my experience with two of them was not a disappointment in that regard.

Another consideration, albeit a minor one, is that they are a heavier method to tension a chain, because the BB shell is larger (this is probably good for frame stiffness though) , because there are two stout bolts to cinch the thing together, and because there is the nice machined clump of aluminum the actual bottom bracket threads into.

All the same, if it's a single speed bike, it's worth putting up with it.

Yet we read that you might be changing the ratios from time to time. Well, that's not a strong suit for the EBB.

As a single speed person, I wasn't altogether happy until I finally got a bicycle with proper track ends, and proper single speed hubs together. If your going to change gear ratios, flip wheels, and so on, track ends are the way to go.

But if you want hydraulic disc brakes then you've got to look into the types of stuff that single speed mountain bikes had to develop.

Don't wait. Get a single speed going and then think about it some more afterwards.
Likes For Sorcerer:
Old 12-16-22, 06:14 AM
theblackbullet

Bikes: I don't even

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 77 Posts
I use the Niner biocentric bottom bracket. It's the same concept and works well. It has enough adjustability to go multiple teeth change on either cog or chainring. I much prefer it over spring loaded tensioner. The only cons are that it isn't the quietest, and with the adjustment of the bottom bracket you change your effective saddle height and fore-aft. However, for me pulling the bottom bracket to clean and reinstall is a 15-20 minute job and it's silent for another month or until I ride in a heavy rain. And with horizontal dropouts, you have to adjust the brakes after gear change rather than the saddle/seatpost.

I'd only say it's a deal breaker if you're very particular with your bike fit. I don't mind having to move the seat post up and down. I have it marked for my two favorite gear combos. And I don't even bother with changing fore-aft as it doesn't bother me. If you can live with that, go for it. I think it opens up a lot of cool frames to singlespeed.

Likes For theblackbullet:
Old 12-16-22, 07:09 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
Personally I'm committed to trackends on my one-gear bikes so can't really add to discussion of merits of the various tensioning methods for your dealy.

But before even getting to that point - I think to use that particular BB you need to have ascertained if your frame fits a PF30 bottom bracket and decide whether you mind living within its crankset limitations.

Good luck...
Likes For IAmSam:
Old 12-16-22, 05:27 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
I wish the EBB was a good singlespeed solution, but I haven't found that to be the case. Sliding dropouts, on the other hand -- especially like those found on the Kona Unit (and other models) -- pretty much solve any and all issues regarding chain tensioning, disc brake alignment, and gear swapping. As a bonus, if you ever decide to run gears, you can slam the rear wheel all the way forward, shortening the wheelbase and making the bike a ton of fun.

Likes For Rolla:
Old 01-09-23, 11:03 PM
ThunderOne

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Oh dear, Apologies for the delayed response. Thought I posted already.

Thanks for all the input. The EBB looked to be a great solution, but glad I asked the question first. Appreciate all the information and will stick with my original thoughts on the Paragon Machine Works rocker dropout.

Thanks again, and as always, appreciate the feedback.
Likes For ThunderOne: