Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Clyde-Giant connection?

Old 08-22-12, 01:19 PM
Hendricks97

Bikes: All City Nature Boy, Salsa Ti Fargo, Kona Electric Ute

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Clyde-Giant connection?

I recently rode in a fundraiser event that had over 6000 riders. I noticed that 99% of who I would consider clydes all rode Giant brand bikes. Is there a reason for this or just coincidence? I am a clyde as well, but I was riding a Felt
Old 08-22-12, 01:46 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Hendricks97
I recently rode in a fundraiser event that had over 6000 riders. I noticed that 99% of who I would consider clydes all rode Giant brand bikes. Is there a reason for this or just coincidence? I am a clyde as well, but I was riding a Felt
I ride a Giant Escape 2 and speaking for myself, the Giant Escapes are extremely high quality for the price. I would assume the same for other lines that Giant produces. This from a man that has ridden over 60,000 miles through all kinds of topography (including many Colorado mountain passes) on all types of bikes, both low and high end - and my current sub-$500 Giant Escape is the best bike I've ever had.

Another angle is that Giant is the #1 manufacturer by volume in the world now, so they are more common than other makes and are therefore more likely to be seen.

Last edited by Mark Stone; 08-22-12 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-22-12, 04:14 PM
fatpunk

Bikes: '12 Giant Sedona, '15 Specialized Crave

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I first started stalking this forum and read over what people recommended for bicycles the Giant Sedona was one that always came up. That being said my first bike and my primary bicycle was the Sedona. Maybe it is because Giant is one of the big 3 and they have a great selection of bicycles with good prices.
Old 08-22-12, 04:26 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I think there is an overall feeling that Giant is one of the world-wide leaders in "quality" bikes and offer a bit more "bang for the buck". They actually manufacture bikes for other brands.

Before I get flamed, I'm not saying they are the best, or the only quality bikes. My point is they are ONE OF the quality brands.

I really loved the Defy Composite I tested. If I didn't want a Ti bike, that is the bike I would have bought.
Old 08-22-12, 04:36 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
99% of Clydes on Giants??? If you were at the back of the pack, that might not be a good thing.

Now if you were mixing it up with the roadie Clydes and a big percentage were on Giants, then I'd figure that they chose Giant because their roadies have some huge tubes. Have you seen the BB area, head tube and downtube on the newer Giant roadies? I'd consider one myself.
Old 08-22-12, 06:36 PM
vesteroid
Climbers Apprentice

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haz a giant roady and consider myself a roady...love my defy advanced 1... Am going to some slinky fast Italian bike....just need to find one that fits my budget and pocket book....going to hit homey up,for bike advice

And yes, I want it because I want it...not because I think it will make me faster. (but it will make me faster really)
Old 08-23-12, 07:23 AM
Hendricks97

Bikes: All City Nature Boy, Salsa Ti Fargo, Kona Electric Ute

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tractorlegs
Another angle is that Giant is the #1 manufacturer by volume in the world now, so they are more common than other makes and are therefore more likely to be seen.
Im kind of a statistics guy, and the other thing I noticed was that the non-clydes rode mostly Trek (though technically still made by Giant) and there was a large increase in the number of Felts over last year. Not sure if it makes a difference, but the typical rider for this event is someone that has money to spend, due to the large amount you have to raise or fork over yourself, and isnt a commuter. Ive heard of a lot of people that ride in it as the only organized thing they do all year. Also to note, I was in the pack that was doing 180 miles over 2 days, so not a lot of hybrids or mountain bikes