Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Prince Edward Island

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Prince Edward Island

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-22, 10:06 AM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
So, George, when you flew, did you bring your bike, or rent up there?
Old 10-16-22, 02:30 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3454 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
So, George, when you flew, did you bring your bike, or rent up there?
Not sure if you are talking to GeorgeBaby or to me (my name is George)?

I brought my bike (S&S coupled), most of the bike is in the black bag, the two panniers are my carry on and my personal item, the orange backpack was also checked. My S&S bike and the S&S Backpack case weigh over 50 pounds, thus a few bike parts were in my orange backpack, and my rear rack will not fit in teh S&S case with the frame and wheels so that is in the orange backpack. I wore the helmet onto the plane, I did not want baggage handlers having a chance to crack it.

I flew into and out of Halifax, NS. I had trouble finding a good flight from Madison WI to Halifax, so I took a bus to Ohare in Chicago and flew Air Canada.
Old 10-22-22, 12:27 PM
GeorgeBaby

Bikes: 2005 Bike Friday NWT, Bacchetta Giro 26, 2019 Titanium Bilenky Midlands

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
And, I, too, flew with a coupled bike https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...pic_id=2058374
Old 11-21-22, 07:12 PM
Pratt

Spoke to a nice gentleman at ViaRail today and he said that it is possible to take my bike on a train between Montreal and Moncton. Moncton is almost at the causeway, or ferry to PEI, so that could simplify things a lot. Montreal is a very pleasant ride from Burlington, where I can leave the truck at our daughter's house. Apparently, the current system is that bikes can be transported between manned stations. Last summer, I took the train, with bike, from Montreal to Chambord, at Lac Saint Jean. The Chambord station was unmanned, but the bike could be loaded and off loaded there anyway. He also admitted, what many already know, that the website leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 11-22-22, 02:28 PM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Maybe I should have said, I'm planning for 2023. I read the CGOAB article. I'm leaning towards just the Eastern part of the island, particularly since I'm also thinking of the Iles Magdeline as a side trip, and excuse to take another ferry ride.
A friend & I did that. We flew to les iles-de-la-Madeleines, and later took a ferry to Souris on the east end of PEI. We toured on the 2/3 eastern part of PEI in a loop and flew home from Charlottetown. We both really liked the Madeleines (more than PEI to be honest), but the Madeleines are typically extremely windy, as it was for us. We stayed in a B&B on a central island (ile du Havre aux Maisons) and did a day ride to the north end of the archipelago and back, and a day loop around the southern islands and back. We also did a pleasant day hike on ile d'Entree. You have to take a ferry to that island, and it's beautful place for walking. There are virtually no roads on Ile d'Entree and 80% of the island is devoted to pasture land that humans are permitted to wander on.

On PEI, we biked on both the north coast and the Confederation trail. When we returned to Charlottetown heading eastward, we decided to try roads instead of the Confederation trail. In the central part of PEI, the roads were surprisingly hilly and we wished we had remained on the bike trail to return to Charlottetown. Our trip was in early September and we had great weather except for our first day on PEI.
Old 11-22-22, 07:41 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Spoke to a nice gentleman at ViaRail today and he said that it is possible to take my bike on a train between Montreal and Moncton. Moncton is almost at the causeway, or ferry to PEI, so that could simplify things a lot. Montreal is a very pleasant ride from Burlington, where I can leave the truck at our daughter's house. Apparently, the current system is that bikes can be transported between manned stations. Last summer, I took the train, with bike, from Montreal to Chambord, at Lac Saint Jean. The Chambord station was unmanned, but the bike could be loaded and off loaded there anyway. He also admitted, what many already know, that the website leaves a lot to be desired.
Moncton is not far from the Confederation Bridge. I camped at Murray Beach Provincial Park for a night after crossing the bridge into NB from PEI, if you are looking for a campground on NB before you cross the bridge.
Old 11-22-22, 07:44 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by axolotl
On PEI, we biked on both the north coast and the Confederation trail. When we returned to Charlottetown heading eastward, we decided to try roads instead of the Confederation trail. In the central part of PEI, the roads were surprisingly hilly and we wished we had remained on the bike trail to return to Charlottetown. Our trip was in early September and we had great weather except for our first day on PEI.
Yeah, I found the trail was slower going, gravel is always slower than pavement. But, the trail is a lot flatter. That said, I thought that PEI was less hilly than NS.
Old 12-07-22, 04:52 PM
ve9vic

Bikes: giant cypress 2013, Panorama Forillon 2023

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Peu 2016

I did P.E.I. in October 2016; no flies, a few hills, I like it even if most of tourists attractions were closed, Next time time I like to do the confederation trial.
I wrote a little e-book about it, very amateur, the French version is on Amazon, the English version soon. In 2023; I’m Looking
at the Acadian peninsula and Madeleine island.

Last edited by ve9vic; 12-07-22 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-07-22, 05:57 PM
Pratt

Current idea, "plan" is a little grand and premature at this point, is to ride Burlington to Montreal, take the train to Moncton, ride/shuttle to Charlottetown and head east. I am thinking about staying close to the coast, and taking the ferry out to the Madelines. After that, the north shore westwards to Malpeque for the oysters and then back the C'town, shuttle and train back to Montreal. It sounds like about 3 weeks. A mix of camping and auberges. Comments welcome.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 12-07-22, 07:47 PM
Tourist in MSN

Current idea, "plan" is a little grand and premature at this point, is to ride Burlington to Montreal, take the train to Moncton, ride/shuttle to Charlottetown and head east. I am thinking about staying close to the coast, and taking the ferry out to the Madelines. After that, the north shore westwards to Malpeque for the oysters and then back the C'town, shuttle and train back to Montreal. It sounds like about 3 weeks. A mix of camping and auberges. Comments welcome.
I was there in 2019, pre-covid. Thus I am clueless if hostels are the same as they used to be before covid. If they are still operating and if you wanted to sightsee for a few days, that was a low budget way to do it. I stayed at the HI hostel in Charlottetown for three nights. That was not in my original plan but there was a long stretch of rain everyday in the forecast so I modified my plans to include the hostel for indoor sleeping. The hostel was cheaper than a campsite at the nearby KOA. I was there for Canada Day weekend.

When you say shuttle, I am not sure what you mean. Do you mean the shuttle that takes you across the Confederation Bridge? The day I left Charlottetown, it was still raining, I rode the Confederation trail almost the entire way to the bridge to New Brunswick and then a short distance to a provincial park to camp that night.
Old 12-08-22, 07:33 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Sounds like a fun plan with the trains and ferries to make it more interesting. Cheers.

Old 08-27-23, 05:59 PM
Pratt

Well, tomorrow (8/28) is start day. Thanks to all for good advice and suggestions. I'll report back here in about 3 weeks, Lord willing, weather permitting. The rain this summer has made it easy to skimp/ignore getting in better shape, maybe I can tour into shape. Also hoping for dry weather.
Old 08-27-23, 07:53 PM
Tourist in MSN

Well, tomorrow (8/28) is start day. Thanks to all for good advice and suggestions. I'll report back here in about 3 weeks, Lord willing, weather permitting. The rain this summer has made it easy to skimp/ignore getting in better shape, maybe I can tour into shape. Also hoping for dry weather.
Have a great trip.

In Charlottetown at MacQueens Bike Shop, I bought a souvenir jersey. They were small but well stocked.

In Halifax, Cyclesmith was a good size and well stocked bike shop. They were very helpful.

There was a tiny little bike shop in Antigonish, NS that sold me a cable ferrule. And there was a nice campground right in town, close to a couple restaurants, etc.

I leave for a backpacking trip in two days, I will not be responding to any messages for over two weeks, so I hope you have no questions for me later.