Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Seat post slip remedy ?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Seat post slip remedy ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-21, 07:23 AM
Ev0lutionz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Seat post slip remedy ?

Am I doing this right? Using GT85 on the seat clamp to de-rust, cleaning the old grease on the seat post and frame and then re-applying teflon grease to the post and frame.

My frame and post are aluminium.
Old 08-16-21, 08:26 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 744 Posts
Yes, perfectly fine. You also don't need any special grease as it's not for lubrication, just corrosion protection. I like to remove and re-grease every 2 years or so just to make sure it doesn't corrode which is probably overkill but 15 mins of time every 2 years is better than a fused post.
Old 08-16-21, 09:21 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Ev0lutionz
Am I doing this right? Using GT85 on the seat clamp to de-rust, cleaning the old grease on the seat post and frame and then re-applying teflon grease to the post and frame.

I'm guessing the seatpost is still slipping? Or are you asking if what you're proposing to do should work?
What torque value are you tightening the clamp to?
Instead of grease, consider using assembly compound (eg. Park SAC-2) to help with slip prevention. Just put some inside the seat tube as far as your finger can reach. Be a bit careful as this stuff can induce scratches -- you'll want to ideally pre-mark (eg. with tape or something) where you'll want to insert the seatpost to, so you're not going up and down with the assembly with the assembly compound smeared on it while you figure out the correct height.
Old 08-16-21, 09:29 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Carbon "paste" will help keep it from slipping. I've also used anti-seize, made for auto spark plugs, since I had some on hand.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 08-16-21, 09:35 AM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
If you can get a bit of rock polishing grit that feels fairly fine to the touch, you can mix with grease for DIY assembly paste. Or use grease + ground up grill charcoal.

Last edited by grizzly59; 08-16-21 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-16-21, 09:38 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6187 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
I'm wondering too like Sy Reene . Is your seat post actually slipping or are you just worrying about something that might be nothing?

Things to look for are if the gap in the clamp closes up completely or even the gap on the seat tube closes up completely. That might indicate you have the wrong size seat post or clamp.

Grease? Anti-sieze? Nothing? I have done them all, and I've never had a stuck seat post in 50 years. Never had one slip that wasn't the clamp gap closing completely. Or the clamp bolt fractured from over tightening but not completely broken.

Carbon seat post and seat tube? I don't know. Just got one a little over a year ago. They say to put carbon assembly paste on them to help keep them from slipping. Sounds reasonable to me, I'll do that when it's needed.

Don't be ham handed tightening them whether carbon, steel or aluminum. Too much is worse than too little. Too much will either break your clamp bolt or stretch and distort something. Too little will let your seat post slip. But at least you can tighten it a little more till it stops slipping.
Old 08-16-21, 07:42 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26400 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
Originally Posted by Ev0lutionz

...the chances of an aluminum post getting seized due to corrosion an an aluminum alloy frame are somewhat reduced because there's little galvanic corrosion potential.

If it is slipping (you haven't said), and it's the original post that came with your frame (i.e. correctly sized), you can reduce chance of slipping by applying grease only down in the interior of the seat tube, down past the clamp. You do this by cleaning off the post and interior clamping surface with mineral spirits or acetone, then applying some grease or anti-seize with your finger, down past the clamp. As the post slides in, it should spread it around down there.