Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to re-assemble the spring of a twist gear shifter

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-22, 06:47 AM
user1617

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a cheap grip shift that wasn't moving so I took it apart to see what is wrong.

When I disassembled it the spring (picture below) fell on the ground so I don't know how it should lay inside the gear shift.

The model is microSHIFT M25-6.

ibb.co/StCYvYD

And here is a picture of the spring:

ibb.co/4N81XYz

The thing is that in some youtube videos I looked at for some help the spring had a u-turn and mine is straight.

If anyone can help me with it, it would be very helpful.
Old 08-24-22, 07:27 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
It's seldom worthwhile trying to fix those. If it stopped working and it's not because of a cable or derailleur issue, the shifter is probably toast. As you have seen, they're very simple. Since you're obviously a tinkerer, try putting the spring back in both possible combinations. You'll see the slot it goes into, and the plastic teeth it's supposed to engage. Put another 15 minutes into it then give up.

I've never taken apart a Microshift, but that spring looks suspiciously "flat" compared to others.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 08-24-22, 08:45 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
You say that spring in the videos made a u-turn and yours does not. I'm guessing you mean it had a hooked end of some sort. It may have broken off and that's why your shifter isn't going together and working.

These things are 11 - 14 bucks online for both left and right shifters together. A tad less if you look for just the one.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-24-22, 09:02 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 330 Posts
I tried to disassemble and reassemble a Shimano twist shifter.

Outcome:

I bought a new one.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 08-24-22, 09:29 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked 1,257 Times in 601 Posts
I consider twist shifters "consumables", I actually keep a set of 3 X 7 and 3 X 8 twist shifters and an 8 speed Tourney RD on hand because at least once a year somebody brings their old box store MTB or hybrid to me because it won't shift any more. My own twist shift bikes got switched to trigger shifters a long time ago.
Old 08-24-22, 09:30 AM
gamu

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Like others have said, I tried to fix a malfunctioning twist shifter, and the most effective fix was to buy new shifters. I went with Microshift trigger shifters, they're much more responsive, cleaner shifts, and they were $19. That's cheaper than the couple hours I wasted mucking about with the crappy twist shifters.
Likes For gamu:
Old 08-12-23, 03:28 PM
unclerico

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I disassembled my Microshift grip shifter and was able to puzzle out how to re-assemble it after everything fell apart.

The key for the shift spring is to set it in the white sprocket part, not in the black cup portion like many other types. Then click everything back together. Shown is the partial re-assembly.

I agree that an old-style thumb shifter might be better. This is from a kids 12" MTB Jamis frame.

Microshift grip shifter, seven speed re-assemble.

Oh, never mind.

The forum won't let me post a photo because I just joined. So much for helping!

Good luck and put the spring in the white plastic doohickie first.
Old 08-12-23, 10:20 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Twist shifter/Walmart /Monkey Wards shifter
Old 08-13-23, 12:00 AM
unclerico

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Twist shifter/Walmart /Monkey Wards shifter
Yeah. You pretty much have to be a bike repair gangster to figure them out.
Old 08-13-23, 05:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by unclerico
Yeah. You pretty much have to be a bike repair gangster to figure them out.
One the thread is from last year and long dormant and two why does one have to be a criminal element who also does repair to figure out a grip shifter. They are pretty easy and does not require being a criminal though being a bicycle mechanic can help but we are not criminals. However in the end as everyone has said just replace the shifter or find a bike without them. They are seldom worth the hassle and if you want to play around with one go for it but even for some experienced mechanics it is a pain and not worth it.
Old 08-13-23, 06:34 PM
unclerico

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
One the thread is from last year and long dormant and two why does one have to be a criminal element who also does repair to figure out a grip shifter. They are pretty easy and does not require being a criminal though being a bicycle mechanic can help but we are not criminals. However in the end as everyone has said just replace the shifter or find a bike without them. They are seldom worth the hassle and if you want to play around with one go for it but even for some experienced mechanics it is a pain and not worth it.
What if you're trying to prep a bike for sale that your kid has outgrown, and putting more money into it is not the point, but you want to make the shifter work for the next rider?

I guess one has to follow some craigslist gangster logic.
Old 08-13-23, 06:34 PM
unclerico

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, even if the thread is long dormant, I found it because I was looking for the answer to the OP's question.

Hence, once I figured out the answer, I wanted to share.

Thus, I was trying to pay it forward.
Old 08-13-23, 06:42 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

What if you're trying to prep a bike for sale that your kid has outgrown, and putting more money into it is not the point, but you want to make the shifter work for the next rider?

I guess one has to follow some craigslist gangster logic.
Then sell it as is and tell the person to go to a shop and get it replaced. Or just spend the few bucks and replace it, time is money but if you want to try and fix it have fun.
Old 08-13-23, 06:54 PM
unclerico

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Then sell it as is and tell the person to go to a shop and get it replaced. Or just spend the few bucks and replace it, time is money but if you want to try and fix it have fun.
People who buy bikes for their kids don't want to buy other people's problems.

Also, I fixed it. I was trying to share my solution.
Old 08-13-23, 07:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

People who buy bikes for their kids don't want to buy other people's problems.

Also, I fixed it. I was trying to share my solution.
Hence why I said just replace the thing or fix it which you did but you had mentioned not wanting to spend money hence the pass it along to someone else.