Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

What niche brands do you recommend when buying a bike for the first time?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 08-19-22, 09:23 PM
liv211

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

As a newcomer, giant brand always have high price, but my budget is limited....I noticed some Chinese brands like Yoeleo, winspace, trifox...how about?
Old 08-19-22, 09:34 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Buy used for your First one as it will be a Learning Bike.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 08-19-22, 09:42 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 927 Posts
You get what you pay for.
It's as true now as it ever was.

I wouldn't buy anything from any place that has no recognition of copyright law or respect for patents or intellectual property rights & no recourse for wrong doing or dishonest representation.

At least: "This item has genuine RockShox stickers" is half-way honest.

I have a frame with a 41-42mm integrated headset and 130mm OLD disc dropouts. It came from a legit Fuji factory of a known popular nationwide retailer...I can't imagine the evolutionary dead end frames that get built to just so a factory can be rid of whatever second-hand old stock happened to be floating around...Like, Hellion for example.

Last edited by base2; 08-19-22 at 09:51 PM.
Likes For base2:
Old 08-19-22, 10:03 PM
liv211

Originally Posted by base2
You get what you pay for.
It's as true now as it ever was.

I wouldn't buy anything from any place that has no recognition of copyright law or respect for patents or intellectual property rights & no recourse for wrong doing or dishonest representation.

At least: "This item has genuine RockShox stickers" is half-way honest.

I have a frame with a 41-42mm integrated headset and 130mm OLD disc dropouts. It came from a legit Fuji factory of a known popular nationwide retailer...I can't imagine the evolutionary dead end frames that get built to just so a factory can be rid of whatever second-hand old stock happened to be floating around...Like, Hellion for example.
umm, yea I know Fuji...
Old 08-23-22, 10:30 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2973 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by liv211
....I noticed some Chinese brands like Yoeleo, winspace, trifox...how about?

How about no.
Old 08-23-22, 07:24 PM
liv211

Originally Posted by prj71
How about no.
oh why..I was confused
Old 08-23-22, 10:36 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Those brands are all legit and generally considered decent quality. Do any of those make complete bikes though? If it is some other company slapping bikes together using a trifox frame then you have to be a bit more careful to make sure they are using legit parts and not knock offs/clones. I wouldn't have any problem building up a bike myself using one of their frames, handle bars, wheels though. I did just buy carbon wheels for my road bike from Superteam one of the worst named legit chinese brands though so I might be biased. Plenty of youtube videos out there of people reviewing parts from those guys.

Last edited by Canker; 08-23-22 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-24-22, 09:08 AM
J_Chickles

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
As a newcomer, giant brand always have high price, but my budget is limited....I noticed some Chinese brands like Yoeleo, winspace, trifox...how about?

Are you actually buying a bike, or doing some type of market research exercise -- (asking because of the tone of some of the other threads you have started)

If you are looking for a bike, ive found theres tons of knowledge on this site, but you just have to tell them (not me, im not one of the knowledgable ones) - what your intended use and the range you want to keep your budget in and someone will be able to give some legitimate advice
Old 08-24-22, 09:29 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 927 Posts
Originally Posted by J_Chickles
Are you actually buying a bike, or doing some type of market research exercise -- (asking because of the tone of some of the other threads you have started)

If you are looking for a bike, ive found theres tons of knowledge on this site, but you just have to tell them (not me, im not one of the knowledgable ones) - what your intended use and the range you want to keep your budget in and someone will be able to give some legitimate advice
There is a Trifox forum here on BF. Basically it's the only thing in "Marketing & Promotions" & it may have been discontinued or removed from from view as I had a dilly of a time searching for it.

It's pretty quiet over there with 144 threads started by our lovely OP & basically 0 responses.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 08-24-22, 09:35 AM
J_Chickles

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
There is a Trifox forum here on BF. Basically it's the only thing in "Marketing & Promotions" & it may have been discontinued or removed from from view as I had a dilly of a time searching for it.

It's pretty quiet over there with 144 threads started by our lovely OP & basically 0 responses.

Oh my! Was not aware of that forum

just followed the Trifox link and i saw a thread with this title - guess i can say i'm speechless

" OMG, this print is amazing! Ride on Trifox, then you are the most handsome man!!!🤭🤭"

OMG, this print is amazing! Ride on Trifox, then you are the most handsome man!!!🤭🤭 - Bike Forums
Old 08-24-22, 09:43 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2973 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
oh why..I was confused
You want junk or a good bike?
Old 08-25-22, 02:59 AM
liv211

Originally Posted by J_Chickles

Thanks bro, I'm an user and just want to build a bike, watching a lot of videos on ytb, it seems like many youtubers have Chinese brand bike. So I ask ...Hope it's not a a trap, lol
Old 09-01-22, 10:11 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Giant has the best prices out the real bike brands.

You might get lucky with chinese brand. I doubt it though. Most reviews show they are not there yet.
$1000 chinese bike is not $2000 name brand bike. The chinese group sets shifts ok when new, not so much with miles on it. The chinese mechanic disc brakes that come with the group set is joke. But if you are going to replace the caliber with a hyrdo sram/shimano caliber you now have to replace the shfiter/brake combo handle. The cassette and chainring were out fast so you are going to want to change that also. ha-ha that basically only leaves the front and rear derailleur. I don't read/watch to many reviews complain about those.

I have seen some mixed reviewson winspace frames. Never bad for what you pay for but you are not getting a name brand frame for 1/2 the price.

winspace frame about 1500 and from china. i would imagine duty tax, headache if anything goes wrong.
https://www.winspace.cc/t1500-frameset.html

name brand giant frame 2400.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tc...-disc-frameset

The Giant frame is better. comes with a local warranty. less headache if anything goes wrong etc..

So it's up to you if saving around $900 is worth the roll of the dice.

lightspeed makes good carbon rims and uses name brand hubs. that's a good value.
Old 09-02-22, 12:14 AM
liv211

Originally Posted by sean.hwy
Giant has the best prices out the real bike brands.

You might get lucky with chinese brand. I doubt it though. Most reviews show they are not there yet.
$1000 chinese bike is not $2000 name brand bike. The chinese group sets shifts ok when new, not so much with miles on it. The chinese mechanic disc brakes that come with the group set is joke. But if you are going to replace the caliber with a hyrdo sram/shimano caliber you now have to replace the shfiter/brake combo handle. The cassette and chainring were out fast so you are going to want to change that also. ha-ha that basically only leaves the front and rear derailleur. I don't read/watch to many reviews complain about those.

I have seen some mixed reviewson winspace frames. Never bad for what you pay for but you are not getting a name brand frame for 1/2 the price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldiYionKA9w

winspace frame about 1500 and from china. i would imagine duty tax, headache if anything goes wrong.
https://www.winspace.cc/t1500-frameset.html

name brand giant frame 2400.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tc...-disc-frameset

The Giant frame is better. comes with a local warranty. less headache if anything goes wrong etc..

So it's up to you if saving around $900 is worth the roll of the dice.

lightspeed makes good carbon rims and uses name brand hubs. that's a good value.
Thank you for your explaination, bro! I see yea now, I will think about it
Old 09-04-22, 02:22 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts

Whoa. I just looked that. This most be a bot. No human starts 144 threads in a forum where nobody responds.
Likes For Kapusta: