Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best way to mitigate tennis elbow on a gravel ride?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Best way to mitigate tennis elbow on a gravel ride?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-22, 09:16 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I do pushups on the stairs so they aren't as difficult just for my elbow problems. I'm not sure how much this will help a week before a ride though. Too bad we can't get topical ibuprophen otc here like is available everywhere else in the world.
Old 09-08-22, 06:02 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
... Too bad we can't get topical ibuprophen otc here like is available everywhere else in the world.
I think otc Voltaren (diclofenac) gel is a topical NSAID which is what ibuprofen is. Does not do much for my arthritis but some swear by it.
Old 09-12-22, 04:59 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I use these for tennis elbow and they have two pieces of silicon pad material that works very well. No reduction in arm blood flow with these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In the long run it helps to use one of the TheraBand Flexbars se to strengthen the arm muscles. They come in 3 different stiffness materials:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Old 09-13-22, 09:55 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
I think otc Voltaren (diclofenac) gel is a topical NSAID which is what ibuprofen is. Does not do much for my arthritis but some swear by it.
Yep, Voltaren is what he's looking for. I'm in the camp that finds it very effective.
Old 09-13-22, 12:00 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
A pain reliever is not a good idea as it will result in overuse and added injury. I was proscribed a cortisone injection for a torn rotator cuff and the pain went away completely and so I continued to use the shoulder without doing any exercises to strengthen the muscles in that area and without letting up on my home improvement project. I injured it further and it took a month of physcial recovery to get back the full range of motion.

I failed to appreciate how many problems involve minor muscle groups that are easily injured with repetitive use. Tennis elbow or golfer's elbow and many other injuries result from stressing small muscles and the cure is to undertake special exercises designed to strengthen these muscles.
Old 10-02-22, 01:31 PM
itchyjoe

Bikes: S Works Aethos/Spec Roubaix/S Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tennis elbow is inflammation under the tendon-to-bone insertion of a very small extensor muscle on the outer elbow. Best way to treat is exercising that area---it's easy to make one of these contraptions out of a 1.5 x 20 inch segment of PVC pipe and a 4 foot length of clothes line. Twist it up/down 2-3 x per day supporting your forearms at shoulder height to keep from rocking. It can be a bit painful at first but don't give up--in a few days you get stronger and the pain subsides. And use it regularly to prevent recurrence. I've had TE twice plus have made one of these rigs for 6-8 friends. Also lots of deep massage in the sore area after working it, NSAIDs 2-3 days, and squeezing a soft tennis ball. Someone above mentioned splaying fingers open with a tight, tethered rubber band...an excellent idea! Injection should be reserved for people with intractable cases or those who won't work through a little pain to get better.