Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lobster gloves

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Lobster gloves

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-21, 06:38 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Lobster gloves

So winter is finally here and temps are in the low to mid 30s.

I already own a pair of Pearl Izumi 5 finger winter gloves, but my finger tips are cold and I need to stop to warm them after 40 minutes.

Will Lobster gloves help? I don't want to spend $75 if they won't keep my finger tips warm with temps in the low 30s.

Likes For GlennR:
Old 12-27-21, 07:40 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 185 Posts
I can't speak to whether the lobster mitts will keep your fingers warm, but these heated gloves seem like a good idea (just don't look at the price):
SealSkinz Waterproof Heated Cycle Glove review | Cyclingnews

My fingers always take a long time to warm-up, and I'm inclined to think that the lobster gloves would only help marginally... and my thumbs would still freeze-off! The heated gloves are pricey, but there's a safety element to staying warm and perhaps they'd be worth the price if you ride outdoors a lot in cold temperatures.
Old 12-27-21, 07:48 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
I can't speak to whether the lobster mitts will keep your fingers warm, but these heated gloves seem like a good idea (just don't look at the price):
SealSkinz Waterproof Heated Cycle Glove review | Cyclingnews

My fingers always take a long time to warm-up, and I'm inclined to think that the lobster gloves would only help marginally... and my thumbs would still freeze-off! The heated gloves are pricey, but there's a safety element to staying warm and perhaps they'd be worth the price if you ride outdoors a lot in cold temperatures.
While they are 2x the price of the Lobster gloves, that's not a real problem.... just look at the cost of a good set of bibs.

The deal breaker for me is they are not washable.

But thanks for the link.
Old 12-27-21, 07:58 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11401 Post(s)
Liked 4,756 Times in 2,766 Posts
I'm a firm believer in lobster style gloves. There's more opportunity for the heat to stay in because a couple of digits are sharing the space, each giving of a bit of heat.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 12-27-21, 08:17 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10167 Post(s)
Liked 5,860 Times in 3,154 Posts
I use lobster gloves and like them. As with all heavy gloves, just make sure they have something nice and tacky on the fingers so you can brake from the drops.

I have electric gloves too and while they’re okay, the heating elements are on the back, whereas I seem to lose more heat from the palmar surface into the bars. They were also too expensive to use on the bike.
Old 12-27-21, 08:22 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

How are they with mechanical shifting?

I have Sram 1x so the only shifter is on the right side.
Old 12-27-21, 08:26 PM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by GlennR

Use them on both mechanical and electric.
Old 12-27-21, 08:27 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
I'm not a fan of Lobster gloves. The loss of dexterity is much more severe than the increase in warmth is helpful. When I've ridden with lobster gloves I find I cannot push the upshift lever on my Ergo shifters. I usually use 5 finger insulated gloves when it is in the low-30s like these:

Any colder and I go to some 3 fingered ski gloves, pogies if it is colder than 20°F
Likes For RGMN:
Old 12-27-21, 08:29 PM
Pridedog
Gone Biking!

Bikes: Orbea Gain, Lynskey, Redline Conquest Disc, Bike Friday, Cannnondale T2 Tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
Difficult for me

I love their warmth, but I find them difficult to shift brifters. They are ok on flat bar thumb *****rs. But they are warm.
Old 12-27-21, 08:32 PM
LAJ
So it is

Since we're talking Toko, I use these religiously. Toko Cycling Overmitt | Toko US I use a decent glove underneath, and then these over the top.
Old 12-27-21, 08:38 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by RGMN
When I've ridden with lobster gloves I find I cannot push the upshift lever on my Ergo shifters.
Originally Posted by Pridedog
I love their warmth, but I find them difficult to shift brifters.
Sram double tap mechanical shifters have a single large paddle to shift. They have to be easier than Shimano mechanical and much easier than Di2.
Old 12-28-21, 06:26 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10167 Post(s)
Liked 5,860 Times in 3,154 Posts

I have had no problems with the PI and Bontrager lobster gloves I own. They both scare me on group descents, on bad pavement, in the drops, but the fear warms me up.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 12-28-21, 07:00 AM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I have had no problems with the PI and Bontrager lobster gloves I own. They both scare me on group descents, on bad pavement, in the drops, but the fear warms me up.
Fear is better than any old glove, at least for a little while.
Old 12-28-21, 09:44 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by LAJ
Fear is better than any old glove, at least for a little while.
Fear is relative, I ride on Long Island, home of the giant SUVs and crazy people driving them. You get used to them hitting your elbow with the right side mirror.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 12-28-21, 10:01 AM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Sram double tap mechanical shifters have a single large paddle to shift. They have to be easier than Shimano mechanical and much easier than Di2.
For me with the Campag Ergo it isn't the size of the paddle - I can find the paddle when I'm wearing lobster gloves - it's the bulk of the glove and space needed for 2 fingers that is the problem. I find that there isn't enough room for the 2 fingers in the glove to slide between the handlebar and the brake lever. The glove tends to "hangs up" on the handlebars when I try to push the downshift paddle and I can't get enough motion to shift a gear.
Old 12-28-21, 10:20 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4389 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
If you want a relatively inexpensive solution and your current gloves aren't too snug, the first thing I 'd try is a pair of glove liners.

With that said, I like lobster claws. Shifting is a little clumsy with them, as is pushing buttons on my Wahoo, but you can manage it.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 12-28-21, 10:47 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by MinnMan
If you want a relatively inexpensive solution and your current gloves aren't too snug, the first thing I 'd try is a pair of glove liners.
My gloves are a large and a snug fit.
Old 12-29-21, 11:05 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
I used them in the early 90s and found that actually my fingers go colder faster! So I gifted them to a friend. I also found that my dexterity was greatly reduced with having big fat dual fingers.

I find that Assos heavy winter gloves to be the best. Not inexpensive at about 100 euro but I have never been disappointed with anything Assos.

The suggestions for using some glove liners such as thin wool runners gloves might be worth a try before you jump at some newer gloves. I probably own 6 different pair of gloves all based upon temperature(s) that I will ride in. One thing to consider is the grip or adhesion that some different gloves will offer you while in the drops or on the hoods. I have a pair of Rapha's most heavy winter glove but the synthetic leather on the palms, etc is very slippery and I find that I have to grip the hood to stay in place. I end up with my hands feeling tired or sore from this constant effort and I hate them for this and only wear them off the bike anymore. A real design flaw. I have some equally heavy Pearl Izumi gloves that must be from the early 90s that offer much better grip. My go to for the sever cold are the Assos....

Last edited by Fox Farm; 12-30-21 at 03:29 AM.
Old 12-29-21, 11:44 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Giro 100 Proof gloves work very well. I've ridden 75 miles in a steady 36° hard rain with them. Amazon has them, though I'll not do that again at least not on purpose.
Old 12-29-21, 01:01 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Pridedog
I love their warmth, but I find them difficult to shift brifters. They are ok on flat bar thumb *****rs. But they are warm.
Would you like to buy an "F"?

Another happy Pearl Izumi lobster mitt user. I wear them pretty much whenever temps are at or below the freezing point. Around 10-15°F I start thinking about wearing thin liners under them. I don't have shifters to deal with in the winter, so the loss of dexterity isn't an issue.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-29-21, 03:05 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I'm going to get rich making heated handlebars. I have a flashlight brighter then my high beams that's warm to the touch, maybe instead of bar end caps it'll have tail lights.
Old 12-30-21, 01:23 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
This is just a single data point, but lobster mitts proved to be no better than ordinary ski gloves when I tried them myself, and ultimately nothing but pogies (and relatively light gloves to insulate my hands from the cold handlebar) worked to keep my fingers from becoming painfully chilled when riding in below freezing temperatures.
Old 01-01-22, 02:45 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
So winter is finally here and temps are in the low to mid 30s.

I already own a pair of Pearl Izumi 5 finger winter gloves, but my finger tips are cold and I need to stop to warm them after 40 minutes.

Will Lobster gloves help? I don't want to spend $75 if they won't keep my finger tips warm with temps in the low 30s.
I live and ride in Minnesota. I bet I have a veritable fortune in gloves for cold weather riding. Nothing worked until I went to a layered strategy. I have had the Bontrager lobster gloves and they didn't work for me either - pretty much that $75 failure that you're worried about.

What as been the best is the Phew.cc glove system (lobster over glove with a windproof fleece under glove) and the Dissent 133 system. The Dissent 133 system, I use primary the wind (not the rain) overshell and then some insulating liners underneath. Both feature a wind proof layer overlaying an insulation layer.

What I'm going to try are some battery heated liners under the shells this spring. I think that will be pretty much the best yet.

The advantage to the liners is that you can start off with the whole set and if you get too hot, you can pair it back.

Other than that, I have not found a pair of gloves other than winter full on ski mittens that can take the continual cold wind hitting them from the front and stay warm. Far and away, I've had better luck with a windproof shell over an inner glove that is more insulation but also windproof. That tells you something - it's the wind leaking in through seams and stitching holes that is the problem.

I ride most of the winter. I ride on my road or gravel bike until the ground freezes over in early December. So that means in temps well down into the 20s. I ride my fatbike, weather permitting all winter, and I'll ride that down to -5F. I will use Bar Mitts pogies for the fatbike and I also have a set for my road bike. They work very well on the road bike but I find the hand position fixed to one spot fairly confining.

One of the big reasons I ride SRAM eTap is the paddles. With heavy gloves on, it's very easy to shift Shimano wrong. With SRAM, I sometimes will ride with full mittens without a problem or even noticing it's an issue. eTap has superb ergonomics for cold weather riding, IMO.

J
Old 01-01-22, 08:28 PM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
I've been using a pair of Pearl Izumi lobster gloves for quite a few years now and I like them. I haven't had any issues shifting (mechanical/brifters). If I ride when it's down into the 20s, I may wear a pair of five finger liners underneath which has the added benefit if you need to stop and do something that requires more dexterity. But don't need the liners if the temp is in the 30s. I'm a fan and have been happy with them.
Old 01-07-22, 10:23 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
I have PI lobster gloves and I have tried many and I do mean many other ways to keep my hands warm. Nothing works for me when the temps are near 0C. Issue is that my hands sweat. Sweat will make you cold. So too think of a glove and my hands get cold because of well, cold. Too thick and they get cold because of sweat. There isnt a single solution. Heated gloves are great because you get constant heat, but they are way too bulky for shifting. I have also tried neoprene hood mitts, and these work OK with heat packs in them, but again over 1h and my hands get sweaty and the circle continues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.