Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help me find where the click is coming from

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Help me find where the click is coming from

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-10, 08:12 AM
classic1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Start with the easy stuff

If it is clicking each revolution its probably bracket, chainwheel bolt, pedal, shoe or hitting a cadence sensor.

Check to make sure the chainwheel bolts are tight.

Someone mentioned shoe. Good call. If a cleat bolt is loose or you have a 'floating' type anchor in the shoe that isn't being used it could be moving around. Had that a while back with Shimano shoes.

If you have a cadence sensor it will be obvious if the crank is hitting it. Sometimes they make a clicking noise without touching, which is really friggin annoying.

Pedal is the next one to check. If it isn't that, strip the bracket out, regrease (including the bracket cup threads, they can creak if they are dry) and reassemble.
Old 05-02-10, 08:27 AM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Guys, thanks for the help. Looks like a busy Sunday for me. I will start with the easy one, and gradually moving up the wrench scale.
Old 05-02-10, 08:45 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by oilman_15106
Recently went through the same issue. Did every one of the standard ideas. Came down to the crank arm interface. FSA cranks.
Yes, do you have FSA cranks?
There's a lot of threads on FSA crank clicking. It's easy to fix.
Old 05-02-10, 08:51 AM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Yes, do you have FSA cranks?
There's a lot of threads on FSA crank clicking. It's easy to fix.
No, it's a Shimano Ultegra compact with the Hollowtech. It won't be too hard to remove the crankset and regrease, if it comes to that. Getting ready now, starting with the cleats (Speedplay Zeros). Actually I have two pairs of shoes, so I am going to tighten the screws and grease the cleats/pedals and see what happens first.
Old 05-02-10, 09:46 AM
midgetmaestro 

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
No, it's a Shimano Ultegra compact with the Hollowtech. It won't be too hard to remove the crankset and regrease, if it comes to that. Getting ready now, starting with the cleats (Speedplay Zeros). Actually I have two pairs of shoes, so I am going to tighten the screws and grease the cleats/pedals and see what happens first.
It goes without saying, don't over-tighten speedplay cleat screws.
Old 05-02-10, 08:53 PM
jediphobic
Young Fred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd put my money on it being the chain ring bolts, as somebody else mentioned. That's what happened to me. The bolts loosened just enough to let the spider flex a tiny amount and it made a little popping clicking sound which got worse when I stood.
Old 05-03-10, 09:51 AM
classic1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
shake the shoes. see if they rattle.
Old 05-03-10, 10:01 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
The person that said it could be from anywhere is right. I had a similar sound and tried everything - checked bb, spokes, pedfals and cleats, shoes, quick release, chain rings and bolts, chain, lube, etc. I gave up and took it to the shop. It was a loose headset! The problem is sounds travel through the frame.
Old 05-03-10, 12:16 PM
stien
neits

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My vote is with a pedal bearing, a loose chainring bolt (a creak maybe), or the crank arm itself is hitting the FD. Shift into the big ring all the way over and see if the crank gets close.
Old 05-03-10, 01:58 PM
daddystheman
DaddystheMan

Bikes: Giant OCR1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Chinese-water-torture of a noise was more of a creak but close to a click. Sounded for all the world like it was coming from the front wheel or the BB. Turned out to be a little speck of dirt between the seat post insert and tube (carbon seat post). Slid out the insert, cleaned it and the inside of the tube well, noise gone. It appears once or twice a season and even a rudimentary cleaning during a ride will fix it.

I would rather listen to my wife nag me than to suffer with a creak or click on my bike!
Old 05-03-10, 02:06 PM
Dan The Man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anything that happens once per pedal revolution could be anywhere in the bike, because your weight is shifting back and forth every pedal revolution. I had something similar that ended up being the seat tube.
Old 05-03-10, 06:49 PM
curtwally

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok I'll bite at this. I had last summer a click (one - not two) at every rotation of the crank. Also it was my new Cervelo. The problem was a slightly loose right bottom bracket cup which required my to purchase the appropriate Park Bottom Bracket tool for Shimano Dura Ace cranks. It has not re-occurred. But as many posters have noted clicking can be caused by many many sources from saddle seat post lubrication, computer magnets, seat post/seat tube lubrication, many others. So try to isolate.

Does this only happen when peddling?.... when seated or standing?... coasting/never?

My best guess at this point is a slightly loose bottom bracket cup (either right or left) which is an easy fix.

Give us some feedback and we will try to offer more help.. curtwally