Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bells (the noisemakers, not the helmets)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bells (the noisemakers, not the helmets)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-19, 01:17 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
People expect to be yelled or exclaimed at/to in a theater show.

People on a quiet walk on a secluded MUT don't. Purely anecdotal, but I get far more waves and smiles with a bell-ding than I ever did shouting. And what is more...people don't leap to their left like they do if you say "on your left" or "passing left". In My Fair City, of 300,000 or so, in 10 years, I've had a grand total of one grumpy old fart shout "ON YOUR LEFT WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE PAL!" after a bell ring.

On a quiet MUT, I don't have to talk very loud at all to be heard, and of the tens of thousands of times I've said "passing on your left" I've had about three people go the wrong way. I see people step right in front of the brring-brring bikes all the time on busy paths.

I don't like bells myself, and won't use them, but I'm not going to claim you shouldn't. I just think people should stop spouting made-up nonsense about how bad using your voice is.
Old 12-20-19, 02:08 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
The thing about bells on a MUP is the fact 98% of walkers immediately react to them.
Old 12-20-19, 02:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by rydabent
The thing about bells on a MUP is the fact 98% of walkers immediately react to them.

The thing about saying passing on your left is the fact that 99% of walkers immediately react to it.
'
I can make up statistical facts too.
Old 12-26-19, 08:28 AM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Sounds like there is an opportunity for an earbud horn that xmits to the earbuds.
Any techies have a comment
Old 12-26-19, 09:17 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Pratt
Sounds like there is an opportunity for an earbud horn that xmits to the earbuds.
Any techies have a comment
Not a techie, but a lawyer.

Sounds like a radio-jamming technology and probably illegal.
Old 12-26-19, 09:57 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Not a techie, but a lawyer.

Sounds like a radio-jamming technology and probably illegal.
Yeah, no.

The regulatory framework is already there, see V2V, V2I, V2P and finally the catchall V2X communications. Just one of NHTSA’s top priorities. (At least until some twitter user tweets.)

Right now we are well before the knee, at chicken and egg. Once a critical mass of devices is reached....

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 12-26-19 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-26-19, 10:52 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,992 Times in 2,664 Posts
Spurcycle bell is the one to go with. Having bought 5 of them I really do love them, they are loud, well made and American made. Don't buy cheap knockoffs spend the money and get the genuine article.

Having used a number of different bells including some nice Crane Bells, Incredibells and the PDW bells I can say without question Spurcycle is one of the loudest and most well tuned bell. A lot of bells seem a bit flat or sharp and certainly don't have the bit that Spurcycle has. Yes they cost money but for a small lightweight good looking and sounding bell that I will have for many many many many many many years to come and doesn't feel like it will let me down I am happy to spend a little more rather than 15-20 on a cheaper bell I will have to replace quickly.
Old 12-26-19, 11:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Yeah, no.

The regulatory framework is already there, see V2V, V2I, V2P and finally the catchall V2X communications. Just one of NHTSA’s top priorities. (At least until some twitter user tweets.)

Right now we are well before the knee, at chicken and egg. Once a critical mass of devices is reached....

-mr. bill

Yeah, no yourself, that isn't what the post described. That framework's basically a system of dedicated transponders and transmitters signaling between vehicles, infrastructure, etc. He's proposing a signal that would cut into someone's headphones and overriding the content that's being listened to (not clear by blasting the signal in the bluetooth frequency of the headphones or forcing the signal into the phone somehow). Not an expert on this, by any means, but I'd bet money there's no way to do that without running afoul of all sorts of statutes and regulations regarding deliberate interference with radio signals.

Last edited by livedarklions; 12-26-19 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-26-19, 11:17 AM
mr_bill

Not an expert on this, by any means, but I'd bet money there's no way to do that without running afoul of all sorts of statutes and regulations regarding deliberate interference with radio signals.
"Sounds like there is an opportunity for an earbud horn that xmits to the earbuds."

All the pieces are in place today to "do that." I don't know why you think this requires "deliberate interference with radio signals." It will just be another toggle switch on your smart phone to opt-in to or opt-out of.

-mr. bill
Old 12-26-19, 11:45 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

"Sounds like there is an opportunity for an earbud horn that xmits to the earbuds."

All the pieces are in place today to "do that." I don't know why you think this requires "deliberate interference with radio signals." It will just be another toggle switch on your smart phone to opt-in to or opt-out of.

-mr. bill

We're reading "horn" quite differently. If you're reading it as a device that sends a signal to another device that is designed and designated at least in part for the reception of that signal, then obviously there is no regulatory problem, but that sounds more like a walkie-talkie to my ear than a "horn". I take "horn" to mean a signal that is "loud enough" to cut through anything that can distract from it and be heard by the intended receiver whether that receiver wants it or not. Horns do not rely on anyone having opted-in to have their signal perceived, they're just a really big sonic blast. Transmitting a horn to the earbuds sounds to me like sending a big radio blast to overcome the existing signal. That's frequency jamming.

What you're describing is a lot more like the TCAS system in airplanes than horns on vehicles.

I suppose we can argue further about what the poster actually meant, but I don't particularly see the point since the language used in the post wasn't at all precise, and I think my "if you do it this way, it's illegal" and your "if you do it this way, it's legal" actually are a pretty good answer together. And I learned some stuff from the argument, which is always good, so thank you.
Old 12-26-19, 08:17 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
I had a bell once and ended up hardly using it... then it fell apart.
I'm picking up on this because the lowest of quality standards on the high street truly reach new depths when it comes to cycle bells. Of course, my child likes the kids ones, but they tend to last less than a week. Some have been... 'single use'.

Sure, you can pay the money and get something a little more substantial, but the old term 'they don't make em like they used to' seems strong. Still, my issue is with the basic standard.

You really need a bell on MUPs. And as more cyclists leave the highways, bells aren't going anywhere any time soon. So i do wish for their quality to be brought up to scratch.
Old 12-26-19, 08:37 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
I have an incredibell on the side of my stem. I ring it when I feel it is appropriate and if they have headphones, ignore it, randomly scatter, jump in fear, blind wave to acknowledge, or yell in confusion as I am passing so be it. I go about my way and don't skip a beat. On any given ride you'll see all of those and more. One thing though, there are sites and areas where a bell usually causes far more chaos than it prevents, at that point I just slow down take a break and stategically weave. Heavy tourist areas of a MUP/Trail and a good example is the Great Falls area of the C&O.

Last edited by u235; 12-26-19 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-26-19, 09:24 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Why do you think a bell would be useful? So let's say your riding alongside cars in a city, some car turns right in front of you with their windows closed and the stereo blaring, do you really think your stupid little bell would be heard? So now ask yourself a question, would it be wiser to use both hands on the brakes to stop the bike from that right turner, or one hand on the brake and other on the bell? A bell that will never be heard?

Sure some states have a law that says bikes must be equipped with a bell, but those laws are purely stupid, there is no proof whatsoever that bells prevent accidents, and because of that those states that require bells don't enforce that law.
Old 12-27-19, 04:17 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
Why do you think a bell would be useful? So let's say your riding alongside cars in a city, some car turns right in front of you with their windows closed and the stereo blaring, do you really think your stupid little bell would be heard? So now ask yourself a question, would it be wiser to use both hands on the brakes to stop the bike from that right turner, or one hand on the brake and other on the bell? A bell that will never be heard?

Sure some states have a law that says bikes must be equipped with a bell, but those laws are purely stupid, there is no proof whatsoever that bells prevent accidents, and because of that those states that require bells don't enforce that law.
You proceed from an incorrect premise. The bell is not for cars, its for pedestrians to warn them of your approach. In the case of legality, it becomes a tool for liability. The judge will rule on the law, whether you feel its a good idea or not.
Old 12-27-19, 05:25 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by KraneXL
You proceed from an incorrect premise. The bell is not for cars, its for pedestrians to warn them of your approach. In the case of legality, it becomes a tool for liability. The judge will rule on the law, whether you feel its a good idea or not.

The correctness of the premise depends on the law. Providence, RI ordinance is a perfect example the whatgreatscott is discussing --you're supposed to ring your bell whenever you're passing near any vehicle, and it has to be very loud:
Every person propelling any bicycle, tricycle, tandem bicycle, or other such vehicle, in any public highway or in any public park, square or street in the city, shall cause a signal bell to be attached thereto and shall use the same for the purpose of giving warning of its approach. Such signal bell shall be capable of being heard a distance of not less than two hundred and fifty (250) feet, and shall be so attached to the handlebar that it can be positively and directly operated by the fingers of one (1) hand of the rider without removing such hand from the handlebar. Such signal bell shall always be sounded with several rapid strokes whenever the rider is approaching any person or any vehicle, and shall be used in all cases where there is any danger of collision.
Old 12-27-19, 07:53 AM
mr_bill

We're reading "horn" quite differently. If you're reading it as a device that sends a signal to another device that is designed and designated at least in part for the reception of that signal, then obviously there is no regulatory problem, but that sounds more like a walkie-talkie to my ear than a "horn".
Have you ever received a WEA (Wireless Emergency Alert) on your phone? It's not like a walkie-talkie - at all.

BTW, you're quite right - for small values of "right." Nobody will ever virtual AirZound you though your earbuds. That would be a stupid solution to the problem.

-mr. bill
Old 12-27-19, 10:33 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Have you ever received a WEA (Wireless Emergency Alert) on your phone? It's not like a walkie-talkie - at all.

BTW, you're quite right - for small values of "right." Nobody will ever virtual AirZound you though your earbuds. That would be a stupid solution to the problem.

-mr. bill

I think the WEA is more analogous to the air raid sirens of old than a horn or walkie talkie. I remember as a kid that they used the sirens in Minneapolis when there was a tornado warning, and they false-alarmed so much that everyone would ignore them when there really was a tornado. I'm guessing Hawaiians are going to have a bit of that problem if they ever have to actually use the cell phone EAS.
Old 12-27-19, 09:24 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
You can get well-made bells on ebay. There's a wide price range. Just get an old bell.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 12-28-19, 08:37 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
...People with air horns make me want to put a steel pipe in their front wheel.
Polite cyclists use a bell for pedestrians, and if no acknowledgement, then maybe a toot on the horn, and then if there is no response from a pedestrian, polite cyclists slow or stop, and yield to pedestrians and give them the widest berth possible, even going off path if necessary. Sometimes on a long straight stretch of MUP or sidewalk or street, if I see pedestrians, especially dog-walkers or those with young kids, I will toot the horn from a distance to give them ample time to reel in their kith and kin.

Air horns are invaluable for riding in traffic. (My air horns also help me identify people with aggression issues carrying lead pipes.)

Originally Posted by greatscott
...would it be wiser to use both hands on the brakes to stop the bike from that right turner, or one hand on the brake and other on the bell?
On all three of my bikes both the bell and the AirZound airhorn can be operated by a thumb or finger while both hands are on the brakes.

I am really turning into an old fart...