Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Voyager Framset--Decent Rando Build Platform?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-20, 03:17 PM
johnbobey

Bikes: 2023 All-City Space Horse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts

Hello--long time no post. I'm looking for a project bike...one I can build into a light touring/rando machine...and saw this for sale. I'm wondering your thoughts on using this as a starting point. It's listed as a Schwinn Voyager, but there are no decals. As far as I can tell, it only came in chrome in '80 and '81...does that sound right?

Old 09-29-20, 03:36 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

in case you will be doing any searches on this model, whether here at the forum or elsewhere, be aware that Schwinn employed the french spelling of Voyageur.

https://www.schwinnbikes.com/products/voyageur
Old 09-29-20, 04:42 PM
johnbobey

Great info--thanks so much!
Old 09-29-20, 04:46 PM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
That is a beauty. Have you checked out the Voyageur thread here? Lots of great examples of these bikes in there.
Old 09-29-20, 05:08 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Whoa, such chrome!
You'd hate to strip any of that beautiful chrome off for gugificazione, so for a traditional randonneur build you're probably going to have to use bolt-on brakes like Paul Racers or Mafac Raids (I think Tektro makes an extra long reach dual pivot sidepull too) to clear an appreciably large (any 650b or more than 700x32) tire and fender. On the other hand, you can play around with wheel sizes as your tastes evolve, without a lot of modifications.

Worth checking out the width between the stays and fork blades for wide tires if you can before you buy.
Old 09-29-20, 05:33 PM
johnbobey

Here's what I know from the listing:

Old 09-29-20, 06:19 PM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
Here is the link to the thread I mentioned before. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-voyageur.html

I think that could be a great bike but I suspect the line in the add about there being no difference between this and a Paramount other than the lugs is wrong. I doubt this was made with Reynolds 531. I would not let that stop me from buying it, though.
Old 09-29-20, 06:57 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
I think you can find a better platform. The frame will be heavy and less forgiving than a comparable frame made of 531 or Columbus tubing.
It has no braze ons for racks or water bottles.
If memory serves me right you will have difficulty getting a 32mm tire and a fender to fit.
The stem is an odd, proprietary Schwinn size .883 vs. 22.2 standard for quill stems.
The rear is spaced for 5/6/7 speed vs 8/9/10 speed and will have to be cold set to take a more modern 130mm wheel.
This is not the same as the later Voyageur model made in the late 1980's as a touring bike. This was a "Sport Touring" bike intended for recreational riders.
The fork and the stays are made from Hi-Ten Steel (heavy/not butted)
Not "Close to a Paramount". Paramounts were made in the USA, by hand by a skilled group of folks in Chicago.
This was a mas produced frame made by Panasonic or Giant in Japan.

That said you can make it work if you want to invest the time and money.

Schwinn catalogs, 1981 - 1990 (8 of 456)

Last edited by fender1; 09-29-20 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-29-20, 07:37 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Eh, while sport tourers are probably a better platform for a rando bike than full on tourers, I don’t think this one is a good candidate. Not enough clearance and not enough braze ons and eyelets.
Old 09-29-20, 11:10 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
Whoa, such chrome!
You'd hate to strip any of that beautiful chrome off for gugificazione, so for a traditional randonneur build you're probably going to have to use bolt-on brakes like Paul Racers or Mafac Raids (I think Tektro makes an extra long reach dual pivot sidepull too) to clear an appreciably large (any 650b or more than 700x32) tire and fender. On the other hand, you can play around with wheel sizes as your tastes evolve, without a lot of modifications.

Worth checking out the width between the stays and fork blades for wide tires if you can before you buy.
Did someone say Gugificazione?

Yeah, wouldn't touch that all chrome frame with a 10 foot brazing rod. That doesn't make it a bad frame, it's just not what I'd consider classic rando material.
Old 09-30-20, 03:34 AM
KenNC

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
With a set of bright new UV laminate decals from Velocals that would look terrific, lots of great color schemes you can easily do with an all chrome frame!
Old 09-30-20, 06:27 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,618 Times in 1,239 Posts
Originally Posted by johnbobey
Here's what I know from the listing:
It's a very pretty frame

I have a 1977 Super Le Tour 12.2 in full chrome, which if I remember correctly is the same frame as this one. My fork looks different, but here's what I can tell you about mine:

Clearance for 700c x 32mm tires without fenders, easy. I don't know about 35mm, the issue is the chainstay clearance in the rear.
If you want to run fenders, 28mm tires are the most you'll be able to go comfortably.
Fairly steep angles, I believe 74° for seat tube and head tube.
Relatively short top tube, I have the same size as this and the TT is 57cm. As said earlier, this will take a .833 quill stem. Long reach .833 stems are not common, so keep that in mind if you don't want to use the quill adapter and think you'll need a stem longer than 80-90mm.
Super fun to ride

If it's something you can afford and want to pick up, definitely do it. Full chrome bikes are sweet, I love mine. Mine likes it when I get out of the saddle and put some power down. With a bit less aggressive fit I'd have no qualms taking it on a big long ride, but right now I've got it set up in a way that I start to get a bit uncomfortable after 4-5 hours.

Last edited by abshipp; 09-30-20 at 06:30 AM.
Old 09-30-20, 10:30 AM
johnbobey

As always, you're all a wealth of good, diverse and reliable information--I'll keep an eye on this frame and likely keep looking for the rando frame of my dreams. Should any of you be in the San Diego area and see something (or have a frame or bike to sell), I'd appreciate a head's up!
Old 09-30-20, 10:53 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by johnbobey
As always, you're all a wealth of good, diverse and reliable information--I'll keep an eye on this frame and likely keep looking for the rando frame of my dreams. Should any of you be in the San Diego area and see something (or have a frame or bike to sell), I'd appreciate a head's up!
Look for a Raleigh International from the 1970s. Or any Raleigh made of Reynolds 531 frame tubes. Don't obsess on the Raleighs, because there are plenty of other worthy bikes, but they are generally good choices. But some have bad workmanship, so be sure to inspect it before buying.

Whenever I ride this bike near bike-knowledgeable people, they say, "Nice randonneur build" even though that wasn't my exact intention.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-30-20, 11:38 AM
johnbobey

That's good advice--I'll poke around! And she's a stunner--what a beauty...congrats!
Old 09-30-20, 02:21 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
Eh, while sport tourers are probably a better platform for a rando bike than full on tourers, I don’t think this one is a good candidate. Not enough clearance and not enough braze ons and eyelets.
OP there is thread in C&V on sport touring bikes if you need some ideas/inspiration The closest I have come to Randoneuring was a 100 km Permanent put on by the Seattle Rando club, It was before I came to C&V but iirc having a nice relaxed geometry, eyelets for fenders and racks and the ability to take on wider tires would be a bonus so the Sport touring category makes sense. Per Wikipedia

.. describe a 'typical' randonneuring bike as being somewhere between a dedicated road-racing bike and a touring bike.[8] Such bicycles usually have lightweight steel frames, drop handlebars, relaxed (i.e. comfortable) frame geometry, medium-width tyres, triple chainsets, moderately low gearing, and the capacity to carry lightweight luggage. Mudguards and lighting systems are also common, and may be required for some events.

My 100 km ride was very hilly and lower gears would have been welcome lol

Last edited by ryansu; 09-30-20 at 02:31 PM.