Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Old 09-23-20, 09:22 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,091 Times in 2,325 Posts
My 1998 Moots Y Be Beat doing what I built it for

It was supposed to be an overnighter in the canyons of southeastern Colorado but it ended up being a day of trying differentiate trails from cowpaths without much success. I ended up back were I started. I stripped all the gear off...no need to just carry it around...and spent another day of trying to differentiate trails from cowpaths with a bit more success.

This is good trail.

This is a “trail”

This is actually a pretty good trail but it leads to

This. I was somewhat astounded by the amount of water in one of the driest areas of Colorado in a drought year. There were springs...flowing springs...everywhere.

I did get to one of the most remote state line markers I’ve ever been to. I’m reasonable certain that there wasn’t another human within 20 miles of me at that point.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-23-20, 09:49 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
My 1998 Moots Y Be Beat doing what I built it for

It was supposed to be an overnighter in the canyons of southeastern Colorado but it ended up being a day of trying differentiate trails from cowpaths without much success. I ended up back were I started. I stripped all the gear off...no need to just carry it around...and spent another day of trying to differentiate trails from cowpaths with a bit more success.

This is good trail.

This is a “trail”

This is actually a pretty good trail but it leads to

This. I was somewhat astounded by the amount of water in one of the driest areas of Colorado in a drought year. There were springs...flowing springs...everywhere.

I did get to one of the most remote state line markers I’ve ever been to. I’m reasonable certain that there wasn’t another human within 20 miles of me at that point.
A fence at the border, Oklahoma has a serious hangup for legal recreational weed, huh? The sign looks like it's been used for target practice too, so no love lost!
Is it privately-held land you're on, or Gov't? Here in the east it's usually a river, and if it isn't, it's generally only fenced if it's private.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 09-23-20, 09:52 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

cyccommute Around here, you have to decipher between the recreational trails and the paths to the vagrant camps.
Old 09-23-20, 10:41 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
cyccommute Around here, you have to decipher between the recreational trails and the paths to the vagrant camps.
I’m used to that. Cows have less of an agenda. These are also US Forest Service “trails”. I think they may have been established by the CCC, although they don’t have the artistry that you’d expect from them.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-23-20, 11:01 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
I was going to say, most fences you run into are to control livestock.
Old 09-23-20, 11:21 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by curbtender
I was going to say, most fences you run into are to control livestock.
In the area where I was riding, most of it is open range. There’s a fence for the state line and to keep cattle out of sensitive archeological areas but for the most part there aren’t many fences. It’s actually a bit surprising given the number of fences that are out on the Colorado plains.

Old 09-23-20, 11:41 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

In the area where I was riding, most of it is open range. There’s a fence for the state line and to keep cattle out of sensitive archeological areas but for the most part there aren’t many fences. It’s actually a bit surprising given the number of fences that are out on the Colorado plains.
I looked at the satellite images of that border because I was curious if there was perhaps tribal land in what used to be "Indian Territory". But there's just a whole lot of open space. I can see why that was your destination.
Old 09-23-20, 12:10 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
At first glance, I thought you did some custom cloudy paint on the tt! lol
I'd go with purple with the new decals.
This.
Old 09-23-20, 12:18 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by victorm

Pre-winter stripping and repaint. But got new tires and new to me Brooks saddle that fits like a glove. Thanks to previous owner for the break in. What color do i paint this beauty? Purple to dark fade with yellow decal? Purple with lime green decals? Green with white decals?
Can I ask where you found those tires? I've been looking online and everywhere is either sold out or asking the moon.
Old 09-23-20, 01:15 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 1,179 Posts
Around here, there is no longer any difference between the two; the paths/trails (and parks) have become homeless camps.
Old 09-23-20, 04:42 PM
victorm

Bikes: 91 Ritchey Ultra, 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1990 Klein Rascal, 97 Trek OCLV9700, 90 Minnelli Eclipse, 95 Marin Bear Valley SE, 1991 Breezer Lightning Flash 1991 Diamondback Axis 1992 Stumpjumper Comp 1983 Stumpjumper Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 234 Posts
Bike24 out of Germany I think
Likes For victorm:
Old 09-23-20, 04:58 PM
Night Treker

Bikes: Trek 1200 Specialized HardRock Hybrid GT Tempest MTB

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts

Old 09-23-20, 05:10 PM
cyccommute 

I looked at the satellite images of that border because I was curious if there was perhaps tribal land in what used to be "Indian Territory". But there's just a whole lot of open space. I can see why that was your destination.
I grew up about 100 miles to the northwest of here. I spent a lot of my formative years tromping around in the canyons of southeastern Colorado and still have an appreciation for it. I can almost guarantee that it’s unknown to 99.9999% of Colorado residents. If it ain’t in the mountains around Summit County, most Coloradans don’t even know the rest of the state exists.

This was “Indian Territory” up until about 1865. I even found a date carved in a stone in the area from 1861 or 1864 (hard to tell). That’s a time that would have gotten most people who used our dating system seriously dead if they were caught down there.

Old 09-28-20, 03:28 PM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 1,076 Times in 302 Posts
Suffering from component-group-OCD I can finally correct this 1989 MB-1 (with 1994 XT). The lowly LX cranks will be substituted for NOS XT tomorrow. Just got them home.

With LX cranks it looks like this. What a difference it will make. Or not...

I guess I am crazy after all.
Likes For styggno1:
Old 09-30-20, 06:05 AM
kjaioqhbkqb

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Looks well thought out.

What rear rack is that?
Old 09-30-20, 08:14 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by kjaioqhbkqb
Looks well thought out.

What rear rack is that?
It’s a Tubus Airy ‘cause, well, it just has to be, doesn’t it

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-30-20, 11:55 AM
kjaioqhbkqb

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
It’s a Tubus Airy ‘cause, well, it just has to be, doesn’t it
What's the solid black platform?

Looks cool.
Old 09-30-20, 05:15 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by kjaioqhbkqb
What's the solid black platform?

Looks cool.
That is an Ortlieb Rack Adapter. I use them on my trunk bags along with an adapter for bicycle baskets from Ortlieb. I gave up on Velcro straps for rack bags ages ago because I got tired of chasing them when they fell off. The two pieces lock together and never come off. The connection is so good that I can actually carry the bike around by the trunk bag.

I used one of the adapters to make a mount for micropanniers made from handlebar bags for bikepacking. They don’t carry much but I don’t need that much capacity.

Here’s the trunk bag attached to the adapter

DSCN0387 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-30-20, 06:57 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,028 Times in 1,244 Posts
Originally Posted by bOsscO
Can I ask where you found those tires? I've been looking online and everywhere is either sold out or asking the moon.
Everything is low on stock. Even worse, there's a real push to cut back on our choices of 559 tires and wheels. An industry marketing initiative to sell new 650B's, according to my people anyway. I don't doubt it.
Old 09-30-20, 10:21 PM
mtb rider

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Omg, my first mountain bike!! DB Ridge Runner.
Old 10-02-20, 02:35 PM
LucasHartong

Bikes: '83 Viner Special Professional, '91 Pinarello Asolo 'spumoni', '93 Trek 930, '94 Giant Cadex CFR3, '97 Giant Atlanta MTB, '99 B1 Weblite Cross , '16 Cube Peloton Race.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 96 Posts
Giant team worldcup, 1997.
Old 10-03-20, 07:01 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
I have been looking for an old Rock Hopper to no avail so far in my price range, components, size vector but I did have this Shogun Prairie Breaker I come up and for $50 with lugs, bullmoose bars, thumbies and a biplane fork I couldn't say no. I am going to ride it in the clunker challenge and then give it a tear down over the winter.

as found

after a first pass at clean up and assessment

Old 10-03-20, 08:33 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu
I have been looking for an old Rock Hopper to no avail so far in my price range, components, size vector but I did have this Shogun Prairie Breaker I come up and for $50 with lugs, bullmoose bars, thumbies and a biplane fork I couldn't say no. I am going to ride it in the clunker challenge and then give it a tear down over the winter.as foundafter a first pass at clean up and assessment
IMHO, you are already starting with a better frame and fork than any of the Rockhopper series would offer. Kit it out with some nice, period Deore XT and what you would have rivals the early Stumpyumpers for pure riding performance. Building it up as an all-rounder would give you the most bang for your buck, as these bikes are comfy and trouble-free after the initial dial-in. Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Likes For DQRider:
Old 10-04-20, 12:34 AM
Wilbur76

Bikes: 2020 Lynskey GR300, 1987 Diamondback Ascent, 1991 Skykomish Marble Point, 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1992 GT Karakoram

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
IMHO, you are already starting with a better frame and fork than any of the Rockhopper series would offer. Kit it out with some nice, period Deore XT and what you would have rivals the early Stumpyumpers for pure riding performance. Building it up as an all-rounder would give you the most bang for your buck, as these bikes are comfy and trouble-free after the initial dial-in. Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

Bullmoose bars are going upwards of $200 on ebay so you got a hell of a find.
Likes For Wilbur76:
Old 10-04-20, 11:22 AM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider

Thanks for the wise words DQRider I think this bike will be fun and one thing I like about the clunker challenge is that it forces me to ride a bike, a lot, before I fill a cart with new stuff. It really gives me a sense of what I like and don't like about a bike before I start tearing it down. Spent this morning cleaning up the filthy drive train so I can lube the chain and start putting in rides towards 100 km. Finding new 26" tires is challenging these days, I found some Schwable jet city's, not the wider gum walls I wanted, but at this point I will take the black wall 26 x 1.5 now and worry about something more perfect later.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.