Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Let Specialized Eat Their Own Droppings

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-22, 05:14 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts

"Specialized is putting a lot of chips behind D2C, and both retailers and consumers will have the opportunity to vote on that bet with their dollars in 2022 and beyond."

The quote above came from a BRAIN opinion piece written by Rick Vosper. As most cycling enthusiasts know Specialized has been direct to consumer for quite a few years, first with a hybrid model, and now bypassing the dealer completely. At first it was OK as revenues were given to the dealer who then delivered the product to the consumer. With the bypass of the dealer and shipping direct to the consumer the dealer collects less than half the revenue it would have under the hybrid program. This is still a win for the dealer as he had zero dollars invested in the sale other than the folks that bought direct from Specialized after wasting the time of a bike shop employee gathering information and selecting a bike in a dealer showroom. Dealer did the work and received a very poor margin if any on the sale. Nice job SBC.

All the dealers know that once the D2C program becomes established and the kinks worked out SBC will cut the dealer out of the loop completely. Our local Specialized dealer where I worked full and part time over the past 40 years is going through with their orders this spring, but after that they are moving on to another brand. It is my hope that all the SBC dealers in the USofA join together and drop the SBC brand. Let Specialized eat their own ****.

Last edited by cb400bill; 03-13-22 at 05:25 AM.
Old 03-13-22, 06:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
"Specialized is putting a lot of chips behind D2C, and both retailers and consumers will have the opportunity to vote on that bet with their dollars in 2022 and beyond."

The quote above came from a BRAIN opinion piece written by Rick Vosper. As most cycling enthusiasts know Specialized has been direct to consumer for quite a few years, first with a hybrid model, and now bypassing the dealer completely. At first it was OK as revenues were given to the dealer who then delivered the product to the consumer. With the bypass of the dealer and shipping direct to the consumer the dealer collects less than half the revenue it would have under the hybrid program. This is still a win for the dealer as he had zero dollars invested in the sale other than the folks that bought direct from Specialized after wasting the time of a bike shop employee gathering information and selecting a bike in a dealer showroom. Dealer did the work and received a very poor margin if any on the sale. Nice job SBC.

All the dealers know that once the D2C program becomes established and the kinks worked out SBC will cut the dealer out of the loop completely. Our local Specialized dealer where I worked full and part time over the past 40 years is going through with their orders this spring, but after that they are moving on to another brand. It is my hope that all the SBC dealers in the USofA join together and drop the SBC brand. Let Specialized eat their own ****.

You can't fire me, I quit!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-13-22, 06:13 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
There's a fight that will never be won, the younger generation is buying online whatever the LBS does. The LBS had better get in to service accessories and fitting big time, that's going to be the only game left soon. That and selling a few boutique brands for the cash-rich old guys. Or, take your money and run: sell to Trek and become a factory store.

Change is constant, and change can truly suck.
Old 03-13-22, 06:33 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Wonder what the return policy is if someone orders a bike and it doesn't fit, or something isn't to their liking. What happens if a Specialized bike has a faulty crank bearing, things are not adjusted correctly (and the buyer isn't good at adjustments) and the local dealer has switched over to a diff. brand because of Spec's D2C policy? Personally, I wouldn't buy a bike I couldn't ride first. Can see their policy going sideways in so many ways. I won't even attempt to speak for everyone, but this rider appreciates his LBS. Haven't purchased a bike in a while, but when/if I buy another new one, it would be from the LBS.

Last edited by freeranger; 03-13-22 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-13-22, 06:42 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
If there is no price savings to the consumer, why would they buy direct? I can see the value buying direct from Canyon due to cost savings. Direct from Spesh? Why.

If the return and warranty policy included shipping both directions? Maybe. So, when the SRAM derailleur blows up, will Spesh handle the claim with SRAM and ship me a new derailleur? Immediately? If not, it would be a no-go for me. That is really the only reason for me to buy stuff from a bike shop, dealing the Mfgs on warranty
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 03-13-22, 07:13 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
If there is no price savings to the consumer, why would they buy direct?
Where did you see that there will be no price savings? I didn't see it in this thread. Or are you speculating? It actually won't affect me because I won't buy a bike from Specialized or Trek. But, that's for other reasons.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 03-13-22, 07:34 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by scottfsmith
There's a fight that will never be won, the younger generation is buying online whatever the LBS does. The LBS had better get in to service accessories and fitting big time, that's going to be the only game left soon. That and selling a few boutique brands for the cash-rich old guys. Or, take your money and run: sell to Trek and become a factory store.

Change is constant, and change can truly suck.
I envision the LBS transitioning to a destination spot that happens to also sell or fix bikes: coffee shop or bottle shop/beer garden kind of deal. Food truck a couple nights a week or weekends.

Or the LBS leaving their larger brick and mortar and renting space at a larger brewery beer garden kind of place where group rides leave from already anyway.

Also the whole Velofix mobile shop thing is something they needed to sorely get into as soon as that started, but not many have.
Old 03-13-22, 07:37 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Yes, I'm sure this will backfire on Specialized. I mean, the bf brain trust surely knows more about market trends than the people who run a billion dollar corporation.
Old 03-13-22, 07:52 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by bruce19
Where did you see that there will be no price savings? I didn't see it in this thread. Or are you speculating? It actually won't affect me because I won't buy a bike from Specialized or Trek. But, that's for other reasons.
Go to Specialized

Add s-works bike to cart

Look at price

Compare price to LBS price

Looks same to my eyes
Old 03-13-22, 07:55 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I envision the LBS transitioning to a destination spot that happens to also sell or fix bikes: coffee shop or bottle shop/beer garden kind of deal. Food truck a couple nights a week or weekends.

Or the LBS leaving their larger brick and mortar and renting space at a larger brewery beer garden kind of place where group rides leave from already anyway.

Also the whole Velofix mobile shop thing is something they needed to sorely get into as soon as that started, but not many have.
Really?

A place to hang out?

I can't see it.

But, I do see your point, they need to make a change and it seems they have failed on the service front with the extremely long waits to get an appointment for service. A lost opportunity. Charge more and focus on service.
Old 03-13-22, 08:25 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
We went through this awhile ago in NYC, owner closed down his large space traditional bike shop and now does repairs and custom builds in a shack; now makes more money and is less stressed due to lower expenses. The company that went DTC without notifying us is now not doing well, I doubt S will meet the same fate.
Old 03-13-22, 08:35 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Really?

A place to hang out?

I can't see it.

But, I do see your point, they need to make a change and it seems they have failed on the service front with the extremely long waits to get an appointment for service. A lost opportunity. Charge more and focus on service.
Until recently, my home shop was a bike/coffee shop. They bought a building a block away and split up their coffee and bike businesses, though. Frankly, I'm not sure that this was the right decision. The two operations have more breathing space, which is nice, but I do wonder if they're going to miss some of the incidental sales and exposure from the coffee traffic. My club has always met outside of the joint space and we'd often grab a coffee and occasionally be tempted by the odd bike-crap purchase. This year, I don't know where we're going to meet, but we will be forced to choose and one of the two will probably miss out on some business. If I had my say, I would have kept both together but moved to a larger space that could accommodate the expansion of both.
Old 03-13-22, 09:02 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Until recently, my home shop was a bike/coffee shop. They bought a building a block away and split up their coffee and bike businesses, though. Frankly, I'm not sure that this was the right decision. The two operations have more breathing space, which is nice, but I do wonder if they're going to miss some of the incidental sales and exposure from the coffee traffic. My club has always met outside of the joint space and we'd often grab a coffee and occasionally be tempted by the odd bike-crap purchase. This year, I don't know where we're going to meet, but we will be forced to choose and one of the two will probably miss out on some business. If I had my say, I would have kept both together but moved to a larger space that could accommodate the expansion of both.
Angry Catfish. That's exactly the shop I thought of when reading GhostRider62 's doubting post. I've only been in there a few times, but there were always plenty of people hanging out in the coffee bar area.
Old 03-13-22, 09:18 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
This is the way of the world sadly, I just was comparing the prices online vs. my local dealer and online was the same and in many cases my shop was cheaper in complete bikes.

I wouldn't buy a spec online, my dealer is too good to not support. But with other retailers going this way I am sure they are just trying to keep up.
Old 03-13-22, 09:18 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Just wondering… do shops make most of their money from bike sales or service and accessories?

John
Old 03-13-22, 09:21 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Angry Cat separated? That sucks. I don't get to cities very often but when I visit family I always go up for a great cup and a fun time of looking around usually buying something I don't really need. Too bad they had to separate.... guess I won't be going there anymore.
Old 03-13-22, 09:31 AM
nel e nel

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Hardrock Disc; 199? Royce Union freestyle bike; 2021 Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
We went through this awhile ago in NYC, owner closed down his large space traditional bike shop and now does repairs and custom builds in a shack; now makes more money and is less stressed due to lower expenses. The company that went DTC without notifying us is now not doing well, I doubt S will meet the same fate.
Which store was that?

We also had a chain - Hilltop - get acquired by Specialized recently. Still the same shop and employees, but now they only do Specialized. I just happened to have a Specialized so it's kind of a win-win for me since one of their locations was one of my go-to LBSs.
Old 03-13-22, 09:44 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Angry Catfish. That's exactly the shop I thought of when reading GhostRider62 's doubting post. I've only been in there a few times, but there were always plenty of people hanging out in the coffee bar area.
Originally Posted by sdmc530
Angry Cat separated? That sucks. I don't get to cities very often but when I visit family I always go up for a great cup and a fun time of looking around usually buying something I don't really need. Too bad they had to separate.... guess I won't be going there anymore.
Yup. The "old" shop is now Northern Coffeeworks and the bike operations are a block away on 42nd. On one hand, they're very close to one another, it's literally a 90 second walk... on the other hand, they're far enough away that you can't finish sipping your latte and then clip-clop, in your cleats, from your table to the bike goodies.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-13-22, 11:29 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Specialized sells good tires, can't speak to their bikes or business model.

Wonder who makes their tubulars?
Old 03-13-22, 11:53 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2229 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
This is still a win for the dealer as he had zero dollars invested in the sale other than the folks that bought direct from Specialized after wasting the time of a bike shop employee gathering information and selecting a bike in a dealer showroom. Dealer did the work and received a very poor margin if any on the sale. Nice job SBC.
I'm not sure that is always an accurate characterization. A few years ago my kid and I purchased a Stumpjumber Evo frame from Specialized, on line. We selected a local shop from the web interface, and they shipped it to them. They phoned us, and we picked it up immediately, so it didn't even take up any of their space overnight. When we picked it up, I verified that they got a full sales commission. All they had to do was place a local phone call to us. It worked out well for us, and for them.

The current mechanism would have cut them out of the loop, and the sales commission.
Old 03-13-22, 12:04 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
I wrenched for an "S" shop a few years back, I already want them to eat droppings....

This will massively up-end that particular shop. Their business model was to go for hard sell on new bikes, while leaving their entire service department to be staffed by whoever they could find to work for minimum wage. Naturally this led to regular turnover (unless the owner liked you, then he might throw his wife at you. Apparently open marriage. Rumor mill had his daughter actually fathered by an assistant manager)
Old 03-13-22, 12:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
They want to cut out the folks who got them to this point. It is rather disgusting. Without shops supporting him, Ole' Mikey S would have been still in his van down by the river.

I think if the Click to Brick program was way better compared to this, the customer was still cut out of any useful knowledge to help them pick a bike or part or whatever but at least it was built up by professionals at a shop and the shop would get a little from it and potentially more if the customer decided hey I need accessories or service or something like that. Now they are just saying "hey shops..." *middle finger* *middle finger* "...you guys are the worst but we are still going to have you handle the warranties when they screw it up and we are taking away product you could sell to further cut you out, oh yeah and we switched to SRAM"
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-13-22, 03:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
So right now, d2c for Spesh means that the price is the same whether you have it delivered directly or have it shipped to a store and assembled. Is the op complaint that spesh offers d2c at all or that spesh should charge more for direct delivery? I don't get it, if lbs assembly is so important, why would anyone choose the direct delivery option if it costs the same?
Old 03-13-22, 03:41 PM
nel e nel

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Hardrock Disc; 199? Royce Union freestyle bike; 2021 Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 11 Posts
Would have been nice if the OP put a link to the article:

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...1#.Yi5j-S2ZPUI

Starting next week consumers who want to buy a Specialized bike will have many options:

1. They can walk into a brick-and-mortar Specialized dealer, including independent and company-owned stores.

2. They can find the bike they want on Specialized’s website and then use the site’s dealer locator to find a nearby dealer who has the bike in stock, and then contact that store about a purchase. Specialized told dealers that the dealer locator will be positioned prominently on the website.

3. They can buy directly from the Specialized website and have the bike delivered to a Tier 1 or Tier 2 Specialized dealer closest to them. The dealer will assemble the bike and the customer will come pick it up. The dealer would get 50% of the normal margin on the sale.

4. They can buy directly from the Specialized website and opt to have the bike delivered to their home in a mostly assembled state, similar to what consumer-direct brands like Canyon offer. Specialized will use facilities in Salt Lake City and Ohio to pre-assemble bikes for this delivery option, and then ship them in larger boxes to the consumer. The packaging will include tools and QR codes that direct consumers to assembly videos.

5. They can buy directly from the Specialized website and opt to have an assembled bike delivered to their door by a Specialized dealer. The dealers will provide “white glove” delivery and fitting, and the dealer will receive 75% of the standard margin for providing this service. This is the same margin now offered to dealers fulfilling click-and-collect purchases.
So not quite the gloom and doom most of you are making it out to be, but adding another option for customers to choose from.

It also seems to be in response to Trek and other companies trying to squeeze them out of distribution areas:

Specialized has been the most challenged by the trend of Trek — and now Pon — acquiring retail stores at a rapid pace. In several markets, Trek or Pon has acquired some of Specialized’s largest dealers, leaving the brand without distribution in those areas. Specialized has responded by buying up some stores of its own, and by opening company-owned fulfillment centers.

Last edited by nel e nel; 03-13-22 at 04:05 PM. Reason: post script
Likes For nel e nel:
Old 03-14-22, 08:40 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Direct to consumer makes a bit of sense to me now that I've got a few bikes (and ridden or test ridden more). On the one hand, I've got enough experience to know what I'm looking for (at least as far as geometry) to buy a bike sight unseen online. On the other, I know there's jobs I can't or don't want to do on a bike, so I appreciate having a bike shop nearby to do those services, and I don't mind helping to keep them in business.

I keep wondering how that all works for someone who's never had a well-fitted bike. I've seen a few manufacturers' traveling bike shows, but they've never had the models I wanted to test ride in my size. Is the "price uber alles" crowd going to pay for a bike fitting before they buy, and have the fitter help them pick out the right model or size? I can hear it now, "I'm saving $200 buying direct, and you want $250 to tell me what to buy??" Or is the buyer going to say, "My last bike came from K-mart, this is so much better! This is $3,000 between my legs, of course it's awesome!" only to hang the bike up three months later, never to be ridden again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.