Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Sensor Frustration!

Old 03-04-22, 08:22 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Sensor Frustration!

Set up:
Garmin 1030 with a full array of sensors. Been flawless for as long as I have owned them but the last few rides they have been cutting in and out. Some rides are maybe once or twice for a few seconds and some rides they cut for a minute and many many times.

I have tried everything, batteries, pairing, moving the sensors. Getting a little frustrated. Never had any issues at all until right now for some reason. Its not even like one sensor goes in and out and another goes they are all random. Speed will go out but then come back then HR will go and power meter, then they will all come back at some point then cadence with cycle in and out. Just a really weird deal. the only thing I have not done yet is a factory reset.

Any thoughts would be helpful. I don't really think its the sensors but probably the head unit. Not even sure.....
Old 03-04-22, 08:36 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Reading that, it sounds like the head unit to me, too.

Can you borrow another one? And how often does something glitch out? Would it be obvious on a single ride?
Old 03-04-22, 08:53 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Reading that, it sounds like the head unit to me, too.

Can you borrow another one? And how often does something glitch out? Would it be obvious on a single ride?
thanks......

I think it would be obvious on a single ride to just see if it will "fix itself". Problem is the small group of guys/gals I roll with they are all wahoo fans. I don't know anybody else with a garmin set up sadly.

I was seriously thinking of selling it and getting the 1030 plus or maybe a really high end Garmin watch and go away from head units all together. But now I will not sell it with a known issue. I am not going to sell my problems on somebody else, that is just wrong on a bunch of levels.
So I might I might try a factory reset but I am trying to avoid that till last resort.
Old 03-04-22, 10:53 PM
Seattle Forrest

I've enjoyed having a Fenix watch. I used it hiking and skiing, and to know what time it is, it's nice having just one thing to charge. The down sides are that power based workouts are harder especially short intervals. And the map is useable but a step down from a 1030.

I would definitely want to avoid a factory reset too! I don't know how this part works, but if you have to go down that road, I know they made it so when you upgrade your data screens move over to the new unit. Maybe somebody can clarify if you can use that to bring them back after a reset so you don't have to do all that again?
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 03-05-22, 08:09 AM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Would love a solution to this issue as well. With my 1030 the last year or so, I noticed the speed sensor would drop and reconnect, as well as multiple automatic pauses to the 1030 while actively moving at speed. In the past month it has become even worse, with not only speed but cadence sensor dropping off. Have tried new batteries, removing, and adding sensors back. No change. All are Garmin sensors, save for the Wahoo Tickr HRM sensor, which does not have issues.
Old 03-05-22, 08:15 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10893 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
I had two 1030s do the same. The second was a replacement by Garmin for the first that couldn’t keep its sensors. The second started doing it like the first after 3500 miles or so.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 03-05-22, 08:34 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
How do you know a speed sensor has dropped its connection ?. The speed reading defaults to GPS, so I assume no immediate loss of data. Would you not have to be looking at the settings screen ?. I use speed sensors, am not aware of dropouts,
Old 03-05-22, 09:25 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by But its me
Would love a solution to this issue as well. With my 1030 the last year or so, I noticed the speed sensor would drop and reconnect, as well as multiple automatic pauses to the 1030 while actively moving at speed. In the past month it has become even worse, with not only speed but cadence sensor dropping off. Have tried new batteries, removing, and adding sensors back. No change. All are Garmin sensors, save for the Wahoo Tickr HRM sensor, which does not have issues.
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I had two 1030s do the same. The second was a replacement by Garmin for the first that couldn’t keep its sensors. The second started doing it like the first after 3500 miles or so.
Well this is starting to sound very bad for my 1030....;(
Old 03-05-22, 09:27 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by Steve B.
How do you know a speed sensor has dropped its connection ?. The speed reading defaults to GPS, so I assume no immediate loss of data. Would you not have to be looking at the settings screen ?. I use speed sensors, am not aware of dropouts,

Indoor riding on my trainer has shown this issue.

Power meter connection got my attention first. I thought it was my PM going bad its a older unit but then they all started having issues.

I guess worst case scenario I will use it just as a head unit and move on without any other sensors....that was a great way to blow $500
Old 03-05-22, 10:52 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
One of my GPS units started to act up on my on a really rough road. Several hours of nasty vibration, my hands did not like it either. It has been acting up for the four years since that day. Sometimes electronics can get obstinate.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 03-05-22, 12:00 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Well....I broke down and called Garmin, they are very helpful on customer service, they do have good CS. Anyways I hooked up through the connect program and they had me do some things. I will give it a test ride after lunch and see if it worked. I had Andrew on the line and he was good. I am supposed contact back if this doesn't work and try some more things.

He sounded pretty confident this would fix it though.

I am not going to share his directions if it doesn't work but I have hope. He said my files probably had an error or corruption and it happens time to time.

I will keep you posted.....
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 03-05-22, 02:55 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Well its not fixed but better actually. So that wasn't the issue. After some more trouble shooting the tech noticed the temps in my workout room were pretty cool and with 2 fans on me they deemed it might be a temperature issue. Tomorrow I will put my headunit not in direct path of the fans and see if that matters.

Short of that is a pretty grim outlook. Sometimes some units are more sensitive to temp than others I guess.
Old 03-05-22, 03:02 PM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Originally Posted by sdmc530
Well its not fixed but better actually. So that wasn't the issue. After some more trouble shooting the tech noticed the temps in my workout room were pretty cool and with 2 fans on me they deemed it might be a temperature issue. Tomorrow I will put my headunit not in direct path of the fans and see if that matters.

Short of that is a pretty grim outlook. Sometimes some units are more sensitive to temp than others I guess.
My issues are occurring outdoors, from 12-60F (the past few months). In the cold I would expect batteries to be a problem, and should have considered that, so maybe that is my issue. I'm too lazy to call Garmin over it, but will keep following your posts. Thanks!
Likes For But its me:
Old 03-05-22, 04:36 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Indoor riding on my trainer has shown this issue.

Yes, that makes sense.

i can now recall seeing wonky speed readings while riding over a metal decked bridge, with the speed going all over the place, I'm aware that speed sensors are sensitive to nearby metal, a result of using the earths magnetic field to determine rotational speed.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 03-05-22, 04:50 PM
But its me 

Yes, that makes sense.

i can now recall seeing wonky speed readings while riding over a metal decked bridge, with the speed going all over the place, I'm aware that speed sensors are sensitive to nearby metal, a result of using the earths magnetic field to determine rotational speed.
There are a few locations where the rear mounted (front has a dynamo hub) speed sensor almost always goes wonky, which I assume is due to something ferrous under or in the road. The problems with dropped sensors previously noted is otherwise random.

Suppose I could break out another bike and see if the sensor issues continues, albeit with different sensors.
Likes For But its me:
Old 03-05-22, 06:18 PM
Steve B.

I'm very doubtful that temperatures are the issue. 1030 as well as sensor should be good down to near zero Fahrenheit temps as well as 100. I cannot recall much in the way of complaints from users from temperature. I think Garmin is unfortunately just guessing and do not really know whats going on.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 03-05-22, 07:36 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

I'm very doubtful that temperatures are the issue. 1030 as well as sensor should be good down to near zero Fahrenheit temps as well as 100. I cannot recall much in the way of complaints from users from temperature. I think Garmin is unfortunately just guessing and do not really know whats going on.

while I actually do agree but tomorrows ride will tell I guess. I have to follow their solution process because the unit is 2 years old and out of any warranty. I really am not willing to buy another $500 head unit. Will see I guess. If I had to buy another one I would just buy higher end watch and go away from dedicated head units all together I think.
Old 03-05-22, 08:01 PM
Seattle Forrest

So far 3 people in this thread are reporting exactly the same problem. All 3 are using the 1030.

OP said this began during or after a group ride. Can anybody else comment on whether that seems to be involved? I wonder if it has anything to do with all the chatter from all the sensors and head units. Shouldn't, but who knows?

I agree temperature shouldn't affect it, it's possible the software in the Garmin does something at certain temperatures and not at others, and there's a bug in that code that takes the networking stack down temporarily.
Old 03-05-22, 09:08 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
idk if garmin has a similar sensor pairing process to wahoo, but with wahoo, you have to "add" any new sensor before it recognizes it. If garmin does not use a process in similar fashion & has an auto detect pairing setup, then it makes sense that it is "corrupting" files after a group ride while nearby other like sensors.

I would pull the batteries from all the sensors & do a factory reset on the device. Once it is booted up, install the batteries back in the sensors & attempt to pair all the sensors again.
Old 03-05-22, 09:39 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by Troul
idk if garmin has a similar sensor pairing process to wahoo, but with wahoo, you have to "add" any new sensor before it recognizes it. If garmin does not use a process in similar fashion & has an auto detect pairing setup, then it makes sense that it is "corrupting" files after a group ride while nearby other like sensors.

I would pull the batteries from all the sensors & do a factory reset on the device. Once it is booted up, install the batteries back in the sensors & attempt to pair all the sensors again.

This is my last effort for a fix. Tomorrows ride I will do what they asked. If that fails and I assume it will I will contact them one more time. Failing that I will do a factory reset and start over. If that fails I will not use any external sensors I guess and rely on GPS only sadly. I do hope my power meter though can keep working I am not really willing to give that up. So will keep using that even with the drop outs.

I have not tested my garmin headlight yet either actually, I need to test that as well. Just thought of that.
Old 03-06-22, 10:26 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
@sdmc530 How close are those fans? Airflow nor temps should be an issue, but RF interference from the AC fan motor might be. Though I'm having trouble imagining the fan being that close. Have you turned them off to see?

Be sure all your devices are connected before you start the timer Though from your description that doesn't seem to be part of the problem.

I certainly wouldn't be shy about doing a device reset. That does seem to clear up problems that should be a problem.

And don't be shy about calling Garmin back either. They have a flat rate repair for out of warranty devices. It really isn't repair though, they just exchange yours for a refurb'd unit for a sometimes very minimal price compared to the MSRP of the device new. If they aren't able to resolve your issue and don't mention the flat rate repair, then ask about it.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-06-22, 02:48 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by Iride01
@sdmc530 How close are those fans? Airflow nor temps should be an issue, but RF interference from the AC fan motor might be. Though I'm having trouble imagining the fan being that close. Have you turned them off to see?

Be sure all your devices are connected before you start the timer Though from your description that doesn't seem to be part of the problem.

I certainly wouldn't be shy about doing a device reset. That does seem to clear up problems that should be a problem.

And don't be shy about calling Garmin back either. They have a flat rate repair for out of warranty devices. It really isn't repair though, they just exchange yours for a refurb'd unit for a sometimes very minimal price compared to the MSRP of the device new. If they aren't able to resolve your issue and don't mention the flat rate repair, then ask about it.
Yep, tomorrow I am going to ride again, didn't today because I spent over 2 hours shoveling snow so I am a bit beat at the moment. But I am going to turn on the Garmin and just ride no fans, no radio, nothing. Then see. I use 2 fans when riding a very powerful one right below the front wheel on me and one box type fan from the side. Then I will see if anything gets better. If that doesn't work or fix it I will do a factory reset. Then failing that fixing it I am going to get with Garmin and do just what you suggest, see how they are fixing it or how that process works. I really like the 1030, its been just rock solid until right now.

I will fill you in tomorrow.
Old 03-06-22, 04:56 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Yep, tomorrow I am going to ride again, didn't today because I spent over 2 hours shoveling snow so I am a bit beat at the moment.
Oh that sucks! We've been in the low 80's all week and I've got four 90 minute rides in the last 7 days (yes I'm rubbing it in)!

Just got back from one. While on the ride my son in Colorado sent a pic of his yard with freshly fallen snow that needs shoveling. I told him it didn't look like I'd be visiting anytime soon. As much as I use to enjoy the cold weather and snow when young, all I want to do is go further south. Maybe Trinidad and Tobago where it is almost always 85°F!

He use to live in Bismarck ND for a time and said it was odd getting use to seeing folks up that way sunbathing anytime the weather was nice and the temps over 40°F. <grin>
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-06-22, 08:27 PM
Seattle Forrest

I would hate to live in a place that's already 85F in March. I like seasons, I like snow, I like natural beauty.
Old 03-06-22, 08:46 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 343 Posts
My 1030 has 400 ride recordings and 2 years 9 months elapsed time. So far so good! I have a Wahoo HRM, a rear wheel Garmin magnet speed sensor, and a Stages left crank power meter. And another Garmin magnet speed and cadence sensor on my other bike. All work correctly.
It's way more reliable than the 705 it replaced.

...now I'm remembering a month ago, when the magnet wheel sensor didn't work. Both of the GSC-10 sensors on each of my two bikes stopped working. (It's not immediately obvious, since GPS substitutes. But spinning the crank with the rear wheel off the floor shows the wheel sensor is or is not working.) I might have done a long press of the power button to do a "soft reset"? I don't remember. But after messing around some more, they are back to normal since then. Not sure what fixed it. Hmmm.

Temperature:Last year, I left the 1030 sitting on the roof of my car in the sun, and it reported something like 140F when I got it off of there!! No damage. (but not recommended)

Last edited by rm -rf; 03-06-22 at 08:57 PM.
Likes For rm -rf:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.