Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Would move to a small no car, "ALL BICYCLE" community?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.
View Poll Results: Would you move to a no car, "ALL BIKE" community or city?
Yes! I would move in a heartbeat!
52.97%
No! I would not even consider such a thing.
24.26%
Not sure.
22.77%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-08, 01:04 AM
ExtremeSelf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

With gas prices the way they are..., who knows? I wonder if one day in the near future we'll see a bicycle city. No: gas stations; oil change businesses; auto repair shops; or car washes??? Whaddya think?
Old 08-15-08, 01:16 AM
Old Dirt Hill
Bring That Beat Back

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This already exists today and I don't think people are moving there in droves.
Old 08-15-08, 01:17 AM
EvanWCbus
mmmm hills

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gas prices have dropped pretty dramatically over the past month or so. It's down to sub 3.50 in a lot of areas. Still bad, but it isn't emergency levels anymore, which sucks, because those high gas prices were causing a lot of changes in this country--good changes. I honestly hope they go back up to 5 bucks a gallon.
Old 08-15-08, 01:20 AM
ExtremeSelf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They exist? Any in the U.S.?
Old 08-15-08, 01:44 AM
mlts22 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its a cool idea, but I feel dumb by asking... how does one move stuff into their homes, and also what about emergency vehicle access?

I'd love the idea though, especially having stores in walking/biking distance, and even offices, so I can leave my vehicle for road trips.
Old 08-15-08, 01:51 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1920 Post(s)
Liked 635 Times in 434 Posts
What do you do if you're a cripple and can't ride a bike (only one arm and no legs)? Doesn't it have public transit?
Old 08-15-08, 02:26 AM
ExtremeSelf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe I should have stated bare minimum motor vehicular traffic. Only what is absolutely necessary. Thanks for your reply though. As for the handicap folks, power wheelchairs would be acceptable and probably a hell of a lot more fun. Wheelchairs should probably still use the sidewalks as much as possible though.

Last edited by ExtremeSelf; 08-15-08 at 02:34 AM.
Old 08-15-08, 04:05 AM
ironhorse3

Bikes: Diamondback entry level.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Davis California has "Platinum status" but not bicycle only (17% bicycle ridership, compared to 1% nationally for commuters).

Tourist island Mackinac, Michigan is car free except for emergency vehicles. There is a population of permanent residents. Cost of living very high, and there are bicycle and horse-drawn carriages to take disabled folks and nonriders around.

To bring food and supplies to a hotel, a ferry boat comes to the port, and then the goods are loaded onto a horse drawn carriage. Very labor intensive.

So it would seem to me that the economics of this would favor a very well-to-do population base, or very poor. Our usual standard of living is greatly tied in to the automobile, trucks, distribution of goods, cranes for building, and of course our electricity for modern conveniences.
Old 08-15-08, 05:43 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
No cars are allowed on Bald Head Island, NC, but they do allow electric golf carts. However, it is a very exclusive and expensive resort community.
Old 08-15-08, 05:43 AM
madhouse

Bikes: '14 Bacchetta Corsa, '93 Ryan Vanguard, Action Bent SWB USS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ExtremeSelf
Mackinac Island, MI

The small 6 square mile Island has 500-600 year round residence, another 300 summer employees and does not allow motor vehicles other than police, fire, and ambulance.
Old 08-15-08, 05:53 AM
thebarerider

Bikes: Trek520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I vote no. I just don't want people in cars to harass me or hit me. I'm fine with them on the road.
Old 08-15-08, 06:46 AM
tekknoschtev

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Short answer, no. I wouldn't want to live somewhere where cars were forbidden. I love my car, and I love driving it even more. That's not to say I don't enjoy cycling, but there are times, more often than not, that I need my car (long trips, poor weather, etc.). I know there are those who survive without a car and still have long trips and poor seasonal weather but for me, its impractical to even consider it at this point in my life. Plus, I don't know too many girls who would be all about going on a date via cycling - though if I find one, I'll do my best to keep her

Originally Posted by ExtremeSelf
Its been said but Mackinac Island is motor vehicle free except for emergency vehicles. I've been there a few times and there is quite a bit of horse powered transportation as well as bicycles. If I ever go again, I'll definitely bring my bike because it'd be a great way to tour the island. It'd also help in ensuring that we don't risk missing the last ferry off of the island when my uncle's vintage baseball team decides to run extra innings
Old 08-15-08, 07:06 AM
huhenio
Barbieri Telefonico

Bikes: Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
never

i am fine with cars, they have their uses, and i enjoy them for what they are for
Old 08-15-08, 07:13 AM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
I live and ride in a very bike friendly area of the country. Lots of MUPS and wide roads. (it's the law here). So my point is that it's not necessary.

I believe with all my heart that we could be energy independent today if we had continued the course we began in the 70's. It took millions and millions of lobbyist dollars to get us into this mess, and I know we can get there anytime we choose to go that route.
Old 08-15-08, 07:14 AM
peabodypride
No plan.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, communities that don't allow specific things or that advocate one thing or another (besides dry towns) generally don't work. They are called communes and have been tried since the days of the American Romantics.
Old 08-15-08, 07:20 AM
lil brown bat

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd be fine with a community where bicycle was the primary form of transportation, but I don't think I'd move there just because of that. I'd still want a non-bicycle transportation alternative for traveling outside the community, though.
Old 08-15-08, 07:26 AM
Gonzlobo
Red light runner

Bikes: Seven Sola

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No. Hippies aren't productive enough to sustain a community (unless it was trailer parks and/or straw shacks).
Old 08-15-08, 07:30 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
IF someone could move comfortably to Mackinac Island, and deal with island living and winter's (relative) isolation,

it is absolutely idyllic. Wow.
Old 08-15-08, 07:42 AM
PurpleK
Velocipedic Practitioner

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Bianchi Volpe, Trek 5000, Santana Arriva tandem, Pashley Sovereign, among others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In-A-Flash.
About 15 years ago I was drawn to Mackinac Island solely due to its restriction on motor vehicles. It was and still is one of the most delightful vacations I have ever taken in three decades of domestic and international travel. I attribute that to the total lack of the noise, fumes and intimidation of motor vehicle traffic, yet still within an area of urban movement and not deep within the wilderness. That being said, I also realize that Mackinac Island is an isolated community of limited size. Larger communities would almost certainly have to make allowances for taxis, deliveries and public transit.

Then again I may be biased because I do not like driving and haven't personally owned a car in eight years. I haven't convinced my wife to give up her car quite yet, but I have managed to get her down to a scooter for commuting and most of her in-town trips. Baby steps.
Old 08-15-08, 07:47 AM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No way. I don't hate cars; I just wish there were fewer of them, and that the ones remaining went slowly.
Old 08-15-08, 07:49 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Nope. Not a chance. Not because of the no car thing but because of the 'small town' thing. I find that people who get all nostalgic about small towns have never lived in one. If you like eating dinner out at one of the 3 greasy spoons in town, having people know every intimate detail of your life, not having any entertainment other than what you can capture by satellite, and having a pecking order that makes chicken coups seem civilized, feel free. I'm staying in a nice big city.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-15-08, 07:57 AM
Old Dirt Hill
Bring That Beat Back

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't although someplace where there were many fewer cars would be nice to see.

Believe it or not, cars do have legitimate uses.
Old 08-15-08, 08:07 AM
JMRobertson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People look for community... it's in our genes. One way to find a community to accept you is to restrict who is allowwed in the community. It's been tried many times, and the communities fail because we need diversity. Segregation has been shown many times, in many different contexts, to be detrimental to the productivity of the community. We need people that are different to promote different ideas, and different ideas promote growth.

Would I want to move to an area where everyone was a Mathematician? Nope. Would I want to move to an area where it was required that everyone maintain a 200+ gallon salt water aquarium in their living room? No. Why would I want to move to an area that only allowwed biking?
Old 08-15-08, 08:09 AM
littlewaywelt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reminds me of a ski resort in Switzerland called Zermatt. No cars. Access to the town is by train. Ppl get around by walking, biking, or small electric golfcart-like cars. It's spectacular. I'd move there, given the opportunity.
Old 08-15-08, 08:15 AM
PurpleK
Velocipedic Practitioner

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Bianchi Volpe, Trek 5000, Santana Arriva tandem, Pashley Sovereign, among others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gonzlobo
No. Hippies aren't productive enough to sustain a community (unless it was trailer parks and/or straw shacks).
I've double checked the poll and I still don't see anything about hippies, just a simple question asking if someone would move to a bikes only community.

Let's see....I have short hair, dress well (don't even own a pair of blue jeans), been making a daily commute to a professional career for almost three decades, never smoked dope, married to a marvelous lady, have a mortgage on a nice home in a desirable neighborhood, pay my taxes and my bills on time, eat red meat and love it, invest in stocks, enjoy a high credit rating, watch football regularly, hold open the door for ladies, vote regularly and attend civic functions, support the troops and respect the police. Yet because I would move to such a bike community without misgivings, that apparently is all it takes to make me a nonproductive hippy.

One thing about my strict discipline mama and war veteran daddy, they taught me to respect people as individuals and not paint broad stereotypes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.