Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon Jetstream P8 Suspension Fork Repair?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 02-19-21, 09:41 AM
riverguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi folks, my second post here...

My full-suspension Dahon Jetstream P8 (original version ~2007) has been great, but after all these years the suspension unit (gas spring?) embeded in the steerer tube has failed. The fork is aluminum and the tube is steel (CR MO) and stamped with logo "TGs" which leads me to believe it was not manufactured by German:A but rather purchased off the shelf.

I am seeing a very similar looking fork on Aliexpress (see photos) for under a hundred bucks, but quite leery about buying one as I think the quality/safety would be highly suspect -- factory production rejects? Also, there is a disclaimer about a lack of threading inside the top of the tube, which is required for the Jetstream P8.

Any thoughts/ideas on repairing this fork? I do not want to change the suspension design and AFAIK, this style of suspension fork is no longer available. I am fairly certain I can find a good gas spring that could be fitted into the tube (with the help of a skilled machinist), but I would love to hear from anyone who has attempted this, successfully or otherwise.

Does anyone recognize the 'TGs' logo as a manufacturer I could contact?

Sorry I cannot post photos or links -- apparently this is a restriction for newbies like me. Photos of this fork can be found on Aliexpress by searching google for this number: 32979304568

Thanks in advance...
Old 02-28-21, 01:55 AM
Lalato

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I would reach out to Thorusa for anything regarding Dahon repairs like this. He might be able to point you in the right direction regarding parts.
Likes For Lalato:
Old 03-01-21, 03:50 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Photos are important, and all you need to do is to post something relevant on 8 posts, which should not be difficult when one is interested in bikes and on a bike forum

After that posting and pictures are without restrictions
Old 09-11-21, 03:05 PM
Saboteur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyone! My name is Valter and this is my first post here.
I have a Jetstream P8, from 2009 (I think ..) the front suspension works well for now but noticed the rear shock is bottoming. Now, this could be because I gain a few kg's during the pandemic, but still.. It's a point of concern. The problem is that Dahon likes to play funny games and apparently used a 150x30 shock and, for the life of me, it's like the Tasmanian tiger.. we know it might still be out there but no one sees one in over 100 years. Is there any viable alternative? I saw one on Amazon with the right dimensions but it was from a no-name brand, it cost 15/17 US.. I don't trust it either. I don't mind spending a reasonable amount of money on this and buy something legit, it just seems there's nothing out there.

The shock is the X Fusion O2, 150mm eye to eye, 30 mm travel.
Old 09-20-21, 05:31 PM
Lalato

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
If you're in the USA, I would reach out to Thorusa (via his website). Heck, even if you're out of the USA, I would try Thorusa first. If he can't point you in the right direction on a Dahon product, I'm not sure who can.
Likes For Lalato:
Old 09-22-21, 12:17 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Saboteur
Hi everyone! My name is Valter and this is my first post here.
I have a Jetstream P8, from 2009 (I think ..) the front suspension works well for now but noticed the rear shock is bottoming. Now, this could be because I gain a few kg's during the pandemic, but still.. It's a point of concern. The problem is that Dahon likes to play funny games and apparently used a 150x30 shock and, for the life of me, it's like the Tasmanian tiger.. we know it might still be out there but no one sees one in over 100 years. Is there any viable alternative? I saw one on Amazon with the right dimensions but it was from a no-name brand, it cost 15/17 US.. I don't trust it either. I don't mind spending a reasonable amount of money on this and buy something legit, it just seems there's nothing out there.

The shock is the X Fusion O2, 150mm eye to eye, 30 mm travel.
You could contact the actual manufacturer rather than the importer/distributor to see what they currently fit to the bike although they may not have had recent orders for this model. I did contact them once and got a response although I think the email took about 10 days. I suspect Dahon would have had exclusive distribution rights for some markets and the original 'Battle' brand bikes are normally sold around Asia. It may have been sold into other markets where both the Battle and Dahon brands aren't sold under a different importer brand name. Fuji-ta are the largest bicycle manufacturer in the world by volume although I think Giant beat them by revenue. They are the real manufacturer behind a lot of brand bikes. If you look at their videos on youtube you can see a lot of the big brands made there, Specialized, Bianchi, Cannondale etc. Typically their folding bikes are just rebranded as not many importers will attempt to design a folding bike and have it manufactured for them so they use the portfolio of existing folding bike designs by fuji-ta. Dahon though seem to use many different factories and use both existing designs and their own designs made for them and change them frequently which is why Dahon is such a nightmare for spares and probably the worst brand for long term support.

When it comes to folding bikes you have many models that use generic parts so those are easy for long term support and then you have the evolved designs which have very easy access to spares and compatible spares like Brompton but Dahon don't really fit into either camp. They like to keep revamping their designs and changing factories etc and access to spares may only be available in the short term.

If you contact fuji-ta they may be able to give you a list of compatible rear shocks for your model. Different models they have used on their production runs for the Hanma 8. It maybe the same as they have used for other bikes, maybe children's dual suspension bikes.

One trick to getting a response is translate your email into Chinese using google translate and then when you get a reply back translate that back into english so you can understand it. Also refer to the Battle Hanma 8 not the rebranded bike. I would probably word it something like "HI, we have sold a few of your Battle Hanma 8 bikes and have had a few back with worn out rear suspension. Which rear suspension units are compatible with this bike?"

https://www.fuji-ta.com/portfolio/hanma8