Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Carbon/Aluminum Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-21, 01:44 PM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I know! I want those GX Max 650b for my Breezer so bad because the stock WTB i23s are heavy AF. I just don’t have any money, which is the wrench in the works... Anybody want to buy a flat bar, utility roadie Novara Buzz and a vintage, French Motobecane flat bar cafe bike? Two for $500!

I hear ya! Same wheels came on my breezer and are sitting unused, they're clunkers. Sadly have a pair of virtually new 45c Riddlers still mounted on em. I dropped about 2lbs going to the 650b adventure carbons.
Likes For franswa:
Old 05-06-21, 01:51 PM
franswa

chaadster also they may still be doing this - https://www.spinergy.com/content/bic...ade-in-program

I entertained the idea and they offered around $220 trade in for my i23s
Old 05-06-21, 02:10 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3135 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by franswa
chaadster also they may still be doing this - https://www.spinergy.com/content/bic...ade-in-program

I entertained the idea and they offered around $220 trade in for my i23s
Oh, cool...I didn’t know about that. Thanks!
Old 05-06-21, 04:37 PM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I just want to point out that since this thread is in the cyclocross/gravel forum, I'm assuming gravel tires will be used on these wheels. If so, the aero gains from deep section carbon wheels are negligible at best.

A1900g aero wheelset for gravel riding makes no sense to me. That might work on a TT or tri rig, or maybe on a road bike for flat-land use, but for gravel? Nope.

I personally would not worry about aero unless you're also planning to use this wheelset with road tires. Carbon is still a great rim material for gravel riding because it is light and strong, and the Zipp 303S looks like a fantastic wheelset that works great as a dual-use road/gravel setup - just know that aero gains drop off pretty quickly once you start exceeding 28mm tires.
I pretty much agree with everything you say about deep carbon for gravel. I bought the 303s wheelset because I just so happened to stumble upon them online and they were on sale. I have always wanted a set of Zipps and the price of admission was the lowest I've ever seen them sell for. Just over $1,000, 1,500 grams, 23mm internal width, plus for me being a large rider I appreciate the feel of the stronger rim combined with shorter spokes that make the build a bit more robust than a traditional shallow aluminum wheelset. Aero was not a deciding factor for me, I would rather just say they look good, feel good, and the price was right.
Old 05-07-21, 02:56 PM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
On the question of carbon vs aluminum for gravel wheels, are carbon rims really worth an additional $400-500 per rim? Aluminum rims are typically $100-150, carbon (other than Light Bicycle or other Chinese carbon rims) are $500-600 minimum. Weight difference is typically in the range of 70g per rim. Is carbon a good way to spend an extra $1000?
Likes For Chilepines:
Old 05-10-21, 06:00 PM
Motorazr

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Diverge Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by franswa
Heads up. 3 different Spinergy wheelsets are on sale for $499 while supplies last.
A month ago, Spinergy only had the 2020 GX MAX 650b available and on sale. Now, they have the 2020 GX 700c and their 2020 Z32. This indicates to me that they’re continuing to build wheelsets using their old hubs.

Note that the pre-built “2020” wheelsets are all black and the site SAYS no customizations but you can call and ask them to swap out one spoke for red or another color to create their “Spinergy Edition” look. Also, only full-price wheelsets are available with free shipping ($40) and a free, nice-quality double wheel bag ($100). That pushed me into buying a 2021 wheelset.
Old 05-10-21, 07:48 PM
bh85

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdslw
I pretty much agree with everything you say about deep carbon for gravel. I bought the 303s wheelset because I just so happened to stumble upon them online and they were on sale. I have always wanted a set of Zipps and the price of admission was the lowest I've ever seen them sell for. Just over $1,000, 1,500 grams, 23mm internal width, plus for me being a large rider I appreciate the feel of the stronger rim combined with shorter spokes that make the build a bit more robust than a traditional shallow aluminum wheelset. Aero was not a deciding factor for me, I would rather just say they look good, feel good, and the price was right.
I read that Zipp 303 S uses hookless system, which limits tire selection. What’s everyone’s opinion on that. I almost bought them but I’m debating on them now.
Old 05-11-21, 12:06 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by bh85
I read that Zipp 303 S uses hookless system, which limits tire selection. What’s everyone’s opinion on that. I almost bought them but I’m debating on them now.
I run a hookless DT Swiss rim on my gravel bike. But, the smallest tire I run on them is 38mm (inflates to 39mm), and I have never had more than 45psi in them, typically I run them closer to 37 or 38 psi. Zero issues.
Old 05-11-21, 06:18 AM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
For me it was a no brainer, I plan to use these wheels tubeless 100% of the time. There are a few brand restrictions but only because their beads may blow off the rim because they are not reinforced which is all the more reason to shy away from such tires in my opinion. People who ride nothing but Continentals will probably look elsewhere because they are not compatible with hookless rims but just about every other tubeless tire is compatible.
Likes For dvdslw:
Old 05-11-21, 07:11 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,480 Times in 870 Posts
Tubeless is awesome and it's all I use, so I would have no concerns about this. I've looked at the list of compatible tires and am confident that I could find options I'd be happy with from their list. Zipp 303S with a set of Rene Herse extralights sounds pretty amazing to me.

Eliminating the hook allows the tire to sit further outboard on the rim, which maximizes the width. It also reduces weight. Unless you are definitely planning on running tubed tires, I don't really see any downsides to hookless.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 05-11-21, 08:11 AM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
For my second wheelset, I went with hooked carbon wheels - I did not want to feel restricted to the type or size of tire that I use especially if I wanted a smaller road tire. Works for me so far.
Old 05-12-21, 08:54 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,480 Times in 870 Posts
I ran across this article about carbon vs aluminum MTB wheels that seems relevant for this thread:

​​​​​​https://www.theproscloset.com/blogs/...xoC8TQQAvD_BwE

The main takeaways are:
  • Aero doesn't matter for MTB, so the benefits of carbon vs aluminum are a bit more nuanced
  • Carbon is lighter - this matters... maybe.
  • Carbon is stronger and stiffer, but will crack and fail quickly with damage whereas aluminum will dent and bend, but not break.
  • Carbon wheels can have harsher ride quality, but that is changing and new tech has allowed carbon wheels to have similar compliance as aluminum
  • Carbon stiffness is an advantage for some, as aluminum wheels can feel flexy when pushed to their limits
  • Carbon costs a lot more
Old 05-12-21, 09:03 AM
franswa

Originally Posted by msu2001la
I ran across this article about carbon vs aluminum MTB wheels that seems relevant for this thread:

​​​​​​https://www.theproscloset.com/blogs/...xoC8TQQAvD_BwE

The main takeaways are:
  • Aero doesn't matter for MTB, so the benefits of carbon vs aluminum are a bit more nuanced
  • Carbon is lighter - this matters... maybe.
  • Carbon is stronger and stiffer, but will crack and fail quickly with damage whereas aluminum will dent and bend, but not break.
  • Carbon wheels can have harsher ride quality, but that is changing and new tech has allowed carbon wheels to have similar compliance as aluminum
  • Carbon stiffness is an advantage for some, as aluminum wheels can feel flexy when pushed to their limits
  • Carbon costs a lot more

And with disc brake carbon hoops there's no need to be able to handle potential high temps of rim braking(especially on descents) and the carbon construction and curing has changed, making them less brittle and more compliant.