Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Can't get Gravelkings seated - anyone get them working hookless??

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Can't get Gravelkings seated - anyone get them working hookless??

Old 12-16-21, 07:39 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by franswa
I’d like to share this video again. This is the method I use and have never needed anything but a floor pump.

https://youtu.be/tE3h4nmDdOo
+1. I learned that from Syd and Mackie too and the thing is, when you get half of the tire bead on the shelf, the other half of the bead is so tight on the rim (even though it's in the center well of the rim) it holds air well enough to seat the tire, even with a slow speed pump. I don't even have to take the valve core out.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 12-16-21, 10:26 PM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueRaspberry
I wonder what your guys did to get it to work?

I went to an LBS and they were not able to get them to seat, though they tried little more than using an air chamber. I suppose I should look for a different LBS to try.

(throwing them away is drastic, indeed, but an act of stress and frustration! lol)
35 mm Gravel King SK going on an Easton ARC25 Offset hookless rim. I use Skinny Strippers over Kapton tape, I spray the latex strip lightly with Simple Green, and then mount the tire. Pulled the valve core and then hooked my standard floor pump to the valve stem. Popped right up. Of course you could use a compressor or a CO2 inflator, or one of the chamber floor pumps and they would work as well. I'll bet the LBS guys didn't remove the valve core - even a compressor can't blow air fast enough through the valve. I also have a set of Light Bicycle rims with different tires mounted, but same process worked. BTW - one the bead seats it should stay in place even after letting the air out. I usually seat the tire first, let the air out, and then add the sealant.
Likes For Chilepines:
Old 02-22-22, 12:19 AM
BlueRaspberry
Gravelist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Brief follow-up for any who care: I was able to get the GK SS tires seated on my rims, finally.

I tried to do the "Syd" way, but had trouble keeping the bead on the opposite side of the tire to stay put while attempting to seat each side. Was never able to get half of each side on as recommended in the video - had to settle for a quarter each. Sadly, this wasn't enough to get them seated with my basic floor pump. My next idea was to use an innertube. I inflated the innertube to seat the beads, unseated the bead one one side of the tire, slid the innertube out, used the "Syd" method to seat as much of the loose side's bead as I could, and pumped my hardest with the floor pump. After a lot of frantic pumping the loose side's bead eventually popped in.

I'm guessing that if I had a floor pump with a charging chamber the "Syd" method would have worked for me. Not sure if I'll try GKs again. Am curious to try another brand as the LBS was able to get a set of Continentals in one shot with no issues. Will try to find a better LBS (with compressor!) as was suggested but it's looking like a better LBS is going to be far enough away to no longer be local. Alas, this is the problem with city life and no car.

In any case, thank you all for the feedback and suggestions.