Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The KHS ZH2B Aero Comp just arrived!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The KHS ZH2B Aero Comp just arrived!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-22, 02:26 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,938 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzyg72
You might try squirting some WD-40 in that stuck liner on the BB. I like the way WD-40 lubes but also works as a solvent and might break up that sticky grease and break the teflon tube free. I have been having a much harder time finding colored break and shifter cable sets since covid - frustrating. I am about to place an order from the UK to get some back in stock.
We think alike, it's out in the garage right now soaking after I did just that. I'll let it set until this evening and them see. Next step will be some Pedro's Citrus degreaser if the WD-40 fails.
Old 02-06-22, 12:20 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

I got all the old liner out and mixed up some paint to touch up the purple some.

I've got a bag of several hundred different housing end caps but of course not the one I need, LOL!

None of the Jagwire reducer end caps fit into the braze on eyelet for the RD housing. I still have the original cable with the one I need crimped on. Need to try and find a source for some new ones.

So funny how with all the parts I have I never have the part I need, LOL!

I also need to source some dust caps for the crankset. I've got some white plastic ones but would like to find something with more bling, shiny chrome look or maybe even purple or Dura Ace logo'd like these I put on the old Concorde.

Old 02-12-22, 08:29 AM
jamesdak 

Well, sorta in a wait mode on this right now. I've got some Dura Ace Logo'd dustcaps and handlebar plugs on the way from overseas. Same guy that did the Campagnolo ones on the Concorde up above. And I still need the stepdown ferrule for the RD cable housing end.

If things work out today I'm going to swing by the the bike collective in Ogden today to see if by chance they have a better quill stem for my needs in their stash. Maybe the stepdown ferrule too even though I have those coming in too.

I've cleaned and cleaned the cable guides on the BB but just can't seem to get any liner to fit through the lowest section. Maybe there's some corrosion in there I can't see and it's too small of a tube for me to get inside of with anything aggressive. I've got a big roll of liner and that won't fit. Neither will a slightly thinner piece I cut out of some old housing. No a real big deal, I'll try and figure something out. Just like to keep it clean and unmarked down there because it is in good shape.

Old 02-19-22, 12:59 PM
jamesdak 

Well.....still waiting on a stem solution. What I hope is the right one is still not here, got sent the wrong one so waiting for the replacement that is supposed to be what I ordered.

Decided to try the three wheel combinations today for the heck of it. The original grey wheels with a Continental Force/Attack tire 700 x 22/23 combo, a silver set of Mavic Kyserium wheels with new GP 5000s 700 x 23 tires, or the Dura Ace/Open Pro setup with Continental GP4000s II 700 x 23 tires. Figuring the weight of the cassette the Mavic setup is the lightest with the the Dura Ace setup 17 ozs heavier and then the original wheels 22 ozs heavier. Front clearance is best with the original wheels followed by the Mavis and then the Dura Ace ones.

I'm sure the purist won't agree with me but I like the look of the Mavic setup best.

Mavic Wheels

Dura Ace/Open Pro Wheels

105/Sun Mistral Aero Wheels
Old 02-26-22, 03:08 PM
jamesdak 

Ok, finally back at this one today. Got in a 0 degree quill stem that I hope will work better than my other options. Came to me pretty dull and covered with three obnoxious Profile Design logo's on it. Took it apart for a good cleaning first. Then I took steel wool to the logo's to remove them. Then I just went at it good with steel wool followed by metal polish. Looks pretty good now but the arthritic ol' hands aren't happy.

I also got in the Dura Ace Logo'd handlebar plugs and crankset dust caps. Hopefully problems at work will leave me alone this weekend so I can finish this build.

The bottom piece of this quill stem is aluminum while the stem is chromoly. I'm not used to seeing aluminum used for this piece.

This is what the stem looked like when I got it in.

Last edited by jamesdak; 02-27-22 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-26-22, 03:50 PM
jamesdak 

And the stem on the bike. I think it looks OK. Now to dial in the bar angle, position the STI shifters and start cabling it up. Oh, measure and cut a new chain.

I think the choice for these cosmetic parts was the right one.
Old 02-26-22, 03:54 PM
Jazzyg72

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
And the stem on the bike. I think it looks OK. Now to dial in the bar angle, position the STI shifters and start cabling it up. Oh, measure and cut a new chain.

I think the choice for these cosmetic parts was the right one.
That looks great! I like what you did with the stem!
Old 02-27-22, 09:54 AM
jamesdak 

Well, this morning I'm going for the finish. This is usually the point lately where my wandering ol' brain messes things up. Fingers crossed, LOL!

Measured and calculated the chain length needed to be 102 links, seems a bit short so I'll check that again. Then I want to hope on it and see if my hands are happy with the STI shifter position before I start cutting and running cable housing. Oh, and "zero out" the derailleurs to make sure all is good there. Should be pretty straightforward now unless I'm forgetting something. Decided I do like the look of the deeper silver rims of the Mavic on this best so going with that for now.

Tears For Fears, Songs From The Big Chair playing for starters to keep me mellowed out.

Old 02-27-22, 12:44 PM
jamesdak 

I started an individual thread on just this problem cause I think I'm stuck right now. All the housing and such is cut and cables ran. Just nothing is connected yet until I sort this out.

I always seem to get easily confused on this stuff anymore. Just trying to finish up the ol' KHS ZH2B and am stuck at the FD cabling. Using a FD-7403 which is supposed to be compatible with the 7400 STI shifters. Supposedly you run the cable to the side of the bolt nearest the crank to use with STI shifters. But the cable is rubbing on part of the FD no matter how I try to run it.

Running it through all the guides it rubs in that channel. Is it supposed to? It does seem to be working there initially.

Bypassed the one guide on the frame as it really put it at an odd angle. So....what am I doing wrong? My scrambled old brain can't figure it out. And everything was going to well....

Old 02-27-22, 04:06 PM
Jazzyg72

Well that looks frustrating! I wish I knew the exact answer on that but TBH I got all of my mechanics certifications long before STI was introduced, My first suggestion was to give reversing the cable anchor mount position to the opposite side and try it. I think it might just clear the derailleur body. I have a feeling that should do the trick and I bet the derailleur works fine. If not and you still dont get an answer I can reach out to my friend in the EU and see if he knows.
Old 02-27-22, 04:23 PM
jamesdak 

I think I just got it using the none STI position. Fiddling with it now and it seems to be shifting fine with trim working and all. Just got that little voice in the back of my head saying I'm still missing something. Probably have my buddy check it before I cut cables and finish things up. He owns Wickwerks chainrings and is a master with a FD.
Old 02-27-22, 04:30 PM
Jazzyg72

Thats great news. All that matters is that you got it working! Dont over think it!
Old 03-04-22, 08:49 AM
jamesdak 

AND IT"S DONE!

I had my buddy check my work on the FD and despite the cable being anchored on the "wrong" side of the pinch bolt and approved it too. Didn't even tweak the FD adjustments at all. So maybe I haven't lost my touch.

Happy with how this turned out even though I'm still not sure what I'm doing with this one. I think it turned out better than I expected and also lighter. It came to me at 21 lbs 4 ozs without pedals or bottle cages. Now it's a respectable 20 lbs 8 ozs as built up in the picture below with the new (to this bike) components, pedals, and bottle cages.

As it sits right now, still needs another wipedown and then one last waxing.

As it was advertised.

I don't know if I'll get a test ride in on it this weekend. Below freezing right now with rain and snow forecasted for the next three days. I'm hoping the rain holds off long enough this morning so that I can at least take it outside for a real photoshoot. It that happens I'll start a new thread with the details pics trying to better illustrate all the cool design touches of the frame.
Old 03-04-22, 04:33 PM
Jazzyg72

AND IT"S DONE!

I had my buddy check my work on the FD and despite the cable being anchored on the "wrong" side of the pinch bolt and approved it too. Didn't even tweak the FD adjustments at all. So maybe I haven't lost my touch.

Happy with how this turned out even though I'm still not sure what I'm doing with this one. I think it turned out better than I expected and also lighter. It came to me at 21 lbs 4 ozs without pedals or bottle cages. Now it's a respectable 20 lbs 8 ozs as built up in the picture below with the new (to this bike) components, pedals, and bottle cages.

As it sits right now, still needs another wipedown and then one last waxing.

As it was advertised.

I don't know if I'll get a test ride in on it this weekend. Below freezing right now with rain and snow forecasted for the next three days. I'm hoping the rain holds off long enough this morning so that I can at least take it outside for a real photoshoot. It that happens I'll start a new thread with the details pics trying to better illustrate all the cool design touches of the frame.
Congrats!!! Looks great! Respectable weight loss too! Making me regret not keeping one for myself but I ended up with a Flite 2000 that is aero 7000 Aluminum frame with carbon stays and fork. I have over 100,000 miles on it! Here is a similar bike in this thread:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=173672
Old 03-04-22, 05:02 PM
jamesdak 

Full photoshoot here:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...hotoshoot.html
Old 03-04-22, 05:16 PM
jamesdak 

Congrats!!! Looks great! Respectable weight loss too! Making me regret not keeping one for myself but I ended up with a Flite 2000 that is aero 7000 Aluminum frame with carbon stays and fork. I have over 100,000 miles on it! Here is a similar bike in this thread:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=173672
That a cool looking KHS too! That some serious miles too!
Old 03-27-22, 04:15 PM
jamesdak 

So, to wrap this up I finally got the KHS out this morning for a a short shakedown ride. To be honest I was afraid it wouldn't be comfortable for with the large saddle to bar drop. Especially with my back bugging me this morning. But it felt fine on the ride. Took it easy at first testing to make sure everything was working alright. Front felt a bit "off" at first but that went away fast. This is a stiff frame for sure. I finally opened it up for about 2 miles keeping the speed in the 25-27 mph range. That is where it shined on this ride as it pretty much just disappeared under me. If my heart hadn't exploded I'd have kept the speed up longer.

Anyway, pretty cool old bike. I think I want to take it to Antelope Island Causeway for a real run on it. That's a long stretch of really nice smooth pavement. If I take this on my normal route about the valley I got the feeling it's not going to be that fun on the terrible chipseal that dominates the roads I normally ride.
Old 03-27-22, 04:20 PM
Jazzyg72

So, to wrap this up I finally got the KHS out this morning for a a short shakedown ride. To be honest I was afraid it wouldn't be comfortable for with the large saddle to bar drop. Especially with my back bugging me this morning. But it felt fine on the ride. Took it easy at first testing to make sure everything was working alright. Front felt a bit "off" at first but that went away fast. This is a stiff frame for sure. I finally opened it up for about 2 miles keeping the speed in the 25-27 mph range. That is where it shined on this ride as it pretty much just disappeared under me. If my heart hadn't exploded I'd have kept the speed up longer.

Anyway, pretty cool old bike. I think I want to take it to Antelope Island Causeway for a real run on it. That's a long stretch of really nice smooth pavement. If I take this on my normal route about the valley I got the feeling it's not going to be that fun on the terrible chipseal that dominates the roads I normally ride.
Thanks for sharing! I am glad you like it and I think over a bit of time on the bars you will feel more and more comfortable on it. I would expect when you are ready you will set some new PB's on it!!!
Old 03-28-22, 09:00 AM
jamesdak 

Now I have to decide what to do with this one. The bike cave is overflowing even with selling off the De Rosa this weekend. This was going to be just a clean up, service, and send on to another owner type thing. I do want to get more rides on it before I decide.
Old 03-28-22, 11:46 AM
Jazzyg72

Now I have to decide what to do with this one. The bike cave is overflowing even with selling off the De Rosa this weekend. This was going to be just a clean up, service, and send on to another owner type thing. I do want to get more rides on it before I decide.
Well of course I hope you keep it. But I do understand the space limitation thing. My eyes are much bigger than my garage! Please keep me updated!
Old 04-09-22, 06:19 AM
jamesdak 

Well of course I hope you keep it. But I do understand the space limitation thing. My eyes are much bigger than my garage! Please keep me updated!
Well the beautiful KHS went to a new owner yesterday although it is sorta staying in the "family" The old owner of Fishlips bikes who sold me my beautfiul David Kirk built frame bought it from me. He seemed very happy with it.
Old 04-09-22, 12:06 PM
Jazzyg72

Well the beautiful KHS went to a new owner yesterday although it is sorta staying in the "family" The old owner of Fishlips bikes who sold me my beautfiul David Kirk built frame bought it from me. He seemed very happy with it.
Wow that was fast! Did you even post it here? I didnt know it was for sale? Maybe I missed it somewhere else on the forum? If you dont mind me asking how much did you sell it for? I wonder if he ever sold KHS in his shop! Anyway congrats! I cant lie I was looking forward to hearing more updates to you setting many more PR's on it at least before you sold it!
Old 04-09-22, 12:50 PM
jamesdak 

Wow that was fast! Did you even post it here? I didnt know it was for sale? Maybe I missed it somewhere else on the forum? If you dont mind me asking how much did you sell it for? I wonder if he ever sold KHS in his shop! Anyway congrats! I cant lie I was looking forward to hearing more updates to you setting many more PR's on it at least before you sold it!
Oh, yeah I always sell locally only as I want the seller to see what they are getting. Always done it that way even though I could make more in most cases if I sold on the various forums and such. I just don't want to risk damage in shipment or have any misunderstandings on condition and such.

I was hoping to get a couple of calm day rides in on it to see just how fast I could go but the norm the past month has been winds in the 20 mph range. It's starting to get annoying, LOL! I sold it for $675 which, as usual, is not what I put into it. Just glad to pass on another fun ride to someone else to enjoy.
Old 04-11-22, 11:02 AM
Jazzyg72

Oh, yeah I always sell locally only as I want the seller to see what they are getting. Always done it that way even though I could make more in most cases if I sold on the various forums and such. I just don't want to risk damage in shipment or have any misunderstandings on condition and such.

I was hoping to get a couple of calm day rides in on it to see just how fast I could go but the norm the past month has been winds in the 20 mph range. It's starting to get annoying, LOL! I sold it for $675 which, as usual, is not what I put into it. Just glad to pass on another fun ride to someone else to enjoy.
Buyer is very lucky after the amount of restoration you put in plus that component mix you built - deal of the century. I hope you hear back from him in his appreciation after he logs some miles on it! Thanks again for sharing the story!
Old 04-11-22, 05:35 PM
jamesdak 

Buyer is very lucky after the amount of restoration you put in plus that component mix you built - deal of the century. I hope you hear back from him in his appreciation after he logs some miles on it! Thanks again for sharing the story!
I've been doing this kind of thing for years. I love finding something decent but neglected, fixing it up, enjoying it a bit, and then moving it on. I think over the years I've broke even one time, LOL! I just like getting to experience all these cool ol' bikes I couldn't have back in the day and truly enjoy seeing how happy the new owner is when they pick it up.

Some others over the years.

So dirty in the ad that it looked almost grey.

Bought on the forum for cheap because I wanted to see it sorted out. Donated to the local bike coop when I finally got it done.

Found local but "stolen" by my son before I even sorted it out. Finally got it back, did a fair amount of upgrading, and moved it on.

Mainly just cleaned up, serviced, new cockpit, tires. wheels, and moved on.

Another sorted out, minor upgrades, enjoyed one season, and moved on.

Another local find I just wanted to check out. Fully tore down and rebuilt with some upgrades and sold off after a couple of rides.

Weird one, got the frame, then after awhile I sought out the "right parts" and had it built up. Put a lot into details. Then when I realized the collection was too large I sold it without ever putting a mile on it. I regret this one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.