Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Back to regular commuting after 2+ year hiatus

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 06-01-22, 06:16 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts

After a post COVID remodel our office has officially reopened today. Smaller overall space. Closed offices are gone. More meeting rooms. And I'm sure far less people since coming into the office is still completely optional for 90% of the staff.

Most cubes are "hoteling" spots now. To get a permanent cube you had to commit to coming in at least 4 days a week, so that's what I'm doing for now.

Why am I coming back? There's a lot to like about working from home but I missed my commuting routine. But now that I'm into my later 50s my days of commuting when it's -20 °F are probably over. I'll opt to stay at home next Winter on days when it gets that cold I'm sure.

And it may not last. I'm going to give it a year, - maybe less. If very few people are coming in to the office anyway it could very well seem pointless after awhile. But I'd really like to finish my career while still being an active bike commuter. I want to ride home from my last official day of work some 7 years from now.

We'll see.

After scanning through the threads I see some familiar names and lots of new ones. Not sure how regularly I'll post. I was really active on this forum maybe 10 years ago but wasn't posting that much by the end.

Happy June everyone !
Old 06-01-22, 07:31 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I lost my daily commute 18 months ago and I miss it dearly. I have the freedom to ride when I want, but the need to be somewhere at a specific time was my motivation...and of course then I'd have to get back home at the end of the day.

Congrats! Enjoy while you can!
Old 06-01-22, 08:05 AM
tjspiel

Originally Posted by BobbyG
I lost my daily commute 18 months ago and I miss it dearly. I have the freedom to ride when I want, but the need to be somewhere at a specific time was my motivation...and of course then I'd have to get back home at the end of the day.

Congrats! Enjoy while you can!
I know what you mean. I still rode during the hiatus but it wasn't a daily thing at all, and never ended up putting the winter tires on.

Lots of things to re-remember like how to dress for certain temps and how to pack for the day.
Old 06-01-22, 08:11 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 80 Posts
Yes, I recognize your name. It's been almost two years ago since covid forced me out of commuting after 29 years. My group has since almost unanimously voted to continue working from home permanently, so my commuting days are over. I don't miss getting out in the cold and dark mornings, but there were a lot of good afternoon commutes I miss. I don't miss all the logistics involved with figuring out morning and afternoon weather and clothing, and work clothing, and food, and... Right now I hop on the bike after work for a ride and just have to worry about current conditions, etc. My commute had been a half century, and as I'm too at the end of the 50s, it was more and more of a chore to continue--probably more mentally than physically!

If co-workers were going back on a regular basis, I'd entertain the thought of an occasional commute. But, I've been to an empty office a couple of times and it's not worth it. (Another logistics complication is that they swapped out my PC at work for a laptop with the start of working from home, so I'd have to carry that on the bike as well.)
Old 06-01-22, 09:59 AM
tjspiel

Originally Posted by MNBikeCommuter
Yes, I recognize your name. It's been almost two years ago since covid forced me out of commuting after 29 years. My group has since almost unanimously voted to continue working from home permanently, so my commuting days are over. I don't miss getting out in the cold and dark mornings, but there were a lot of good afternoon commutes I miss. I don't miss all the logistics involved with figuring out morning and afternoon weather and clothing, and work clothing, and food, and... Right now I hop on the bike after work for a ride and just have to worry about current conditions, etc. My commute had been a half century, and as I'm too at the end of the 50s, it was more and more of a chore to continue--probably more mentally than physically!

If co-workers were going back on a regular basis, I'd entertain the thought of an occasional commute. But, I've been to an empty office a couple of times and it's not worth it. (Another logistics complication is that they swapped out my PC at work for a laptop with the start of working from home, so I'd have to carry that on the bike as well.)
I've always carried a laptop with me so nothing new there but my commute is much, much shorter than yours was and not a chore at all, at least not in June.

So far not a huge rush back into the office and I don't expect one. But I've already run into a few people that plan to be regulars. Really curious how this will all play out. Time will tell.
Old 06-03-22, 09:23 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
welcome back
Old 06-03-22, 11:25 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Welcome back, @tjspiel! I'm in a very similar boat. I'll be back to my cube 3-5 days a week... at some point. Delta and Omicron pushed things out.

So I've been doing "commutes" to get bike rides in as much as anything. It's weird to be standing in the cube in bike clothes, with hardly anyone else around, doing what I could have done from home, but I need the exercise.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498