Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Ideas for riding in the rain with hearing aids?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-18, 08:30 AM
DIY masochist

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, 1977 Motobecane Super Mirage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am a hearing aid user, and I get very worried when I get caught out in the rain on my bike. I have a Patagonia stretch rainshadow jacket that works to a point, but it wets through very fast. I can't trust it to keep my head dry in heavy rain, and it is really not as breathable as it claims to be, so I usually end up sweaty AND wet when I wear it cycling. I've tried cheap plastic ponchos, which keep the rain out, but are even less breathable and generally don't have a cinch to tighten the front of the hood, which means that water could get in from the front. A few very desperate times, I've put a plastic shopping bag underneath my helmet and tied it under my chin. I feel like there must be a better way.

Some things I have been pondering:
  • Are there any portable options for something that I could keep in my seat bag to cover my head in an emergency?
  • Why don't cycling jackets have hoods?
  • Is "breathable waterproof" an oxymoron?

PS, I know there is an adaptive cycling forum, but I figured this would get more views if I posted it here. There must be someone else out there that doesn't like to get their head wet when riding in the rain!
Old 08-14-18, 08:58 AM
Baboo

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT, Rans Stratus, Cannondale R500, trek 720 multitrack, Rockhopper

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
My cycle jacket has a hood with drawstring and is waterproof, supposed to be breathable but I doubt many of them are when covered with a sheen of water. I also wear hearing aids. If I am caught out without a rain coat then I take them off and put them in ziplock with phone. Others may have better solutions but this is what I do.

Allen
Old 08-14-18, 09:35 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Cycling jackets don't have hoods because you have a bike helmet, on your head.
Get a helmet rain cover.

and with a hood attached, turning your head inside the hood won't help you see behind you,
a separate one will turn with your head...

a cycling rain cape gives coverage, over your arms and thus, feet,
and can use waterproof fabrics,
because they have airflow ventilation on the underside..

but the speed you ride will be slower, not racing..

Old 08-14-18, 09:36 AM
DIY masochist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Baboo
My cycle jacket has a hood with drawstring and is waterproof, supposed to be breathable but I doubt many of them are when covered with a sheen of water. I also wear hearing aids. If I am caught out without a rain coat then I take them off and put them in ziplock with phone. Others may have better solutions but this is what I do.
What kind of jacket? And how severe is your hearing loss if you don't mind me asking? Mine is moderate to severe, so I wear the aids all the time and heavily rely on them. I feel like not wearing them on my bike would really negatively impact my safety, hence the question about trying to find a way to wear them and have them protected while riding. Thanks for replying!
Old 08-14-18, 10:27 AM
Baboo

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT, Rans Stratus, Cannondale R500, trek 720 multitrack, Rockhopper

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by DIY masochist
What kind of jacket? And how severe is your hearing loss if you don't mind me asking? Mine is moderate to severe, so I wear the aids all the time and heavily rely on them. I feel like not wearing them on my bike would really negatively impact my safety, hence the question about trying to find a way to wear them and have them protected while riding. Thanks for replying!
My jacket Is mfg by a company called o2 rainwear, it’s not the greatest but there are many out there, google cycling rain coat you will find many some with hood some without be sure to specify waterproof, water resistant won’t keep you dry very long. My hearing loss is not severe enough to be a safety issue. But having to replace hearing aids is very expensive as you know. When I wear a helmet the raincoat hood goes under it.

Last edited by Baboo; 08-14-18 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-14-18, 11:32 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Why don't cycling jackets have hoods? Is "breathable waterproof" an oxymoron?
Showers Pass makes a lot of waterproof breathable jackets, here's one with a hood built in:
https://www.showerspass.com/collecti...-refuge-jacket

Keep in mind that "waterproof breathable" typically means:
- You can ride at full effort at 50f and colder
- Warmer temps than that require biking less strenously, the warmer it gets the easier it is to overwhelm the breathability of the jacket
Old 08-14-18, 11:43 AM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Don't hoods block some of your periphery/side view?

Maybe?: Da Brim :: Products :: Cycling :: Classic
Old 08-14-18, 12:20 PM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
  • Are there any portable options for something that I could keep in my seat bag to cover my head in an emergency?
Hair Shower Cap?
Old 08-14-18, 12:40 PM
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
I moved to a humid climate and quit riding with my hearing aids altogether. But then, I only have unilateral hearing loss, so it's not really essential.
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 08-14-18, 08:20 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I've put a plastic shopping bag underneath my helmet and tied it under my chin.
Clever! (and cheap!)

Google "plastic rain bonnet". It looks like there are a few main designs, and one recurring design seems to have a strap that goes in front of the ear. I don't really know, but they can't be too expensive.

Old 08-16-18, 09:56 AM
srestrepo

Bikes: 2016 Felt Z85 105, 2016 GT Grade Sora

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to be nosy but, what type of hearing aids are they? Do they go in your ears or are they like those implants (cochlear I believe) that are just behind the ear?

I would say if they're in your ear, probably best to get a good jacket that has two cords of adjustability in the hood. One to cinch down in the face and the other to pull the edges of the hood back to maintain peripheral vision. I think this might be called a storm hood.

otherwise, I keep a cycling cap that keeps the rain off of my face, but I'd try and find a cycling cap that is waterproof or at least offers some coverage over the ears. The only ones I've seen like that are winter style caps from Giro which you might wanna check out if interested. Good luck!
Old 08-16-18, 11:28 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Cycling jackets don't have hoods because you have a bike helmet, on your head.
Get a helmet rain cover.

and with a hood attached, turning your head inside the hood won't help you see behind you,
a separate one will turn with your head...

a cycling rain cape gives coverage, over your arms and thus, feet,
and can use waterproof fabrics,
because they have airflow ventilation on the underside..

but the speed you ride will be slower, not racing..

My cycling jacket has a hood, that fits over my helmet...
Old 08-16-18, 11:49 AM
DIY masochist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by srestrepo
Not to be nosy but, what type of hearing aids are they? Do they go in your ears or are they like those implants (cochlear I believe) that are just behind the ear?
They're behind the ear hearing aids. The part that goes into my actual ear canal is just molded plastic, but the electronics are all up behind my ear.

I like the plastic bonnet idea. Maybe I could roll one of those up and keep it in my seat bag...

And on the breathability thing... Even if I commute down into the mid 30s F, I still end up taking the rain jacket off because I'm heating up too much. I usually end up just starting cold in a t shirt, that way I make it to work barely sweaty at all, no matter how hard I ride.

Last edited by DIY masochist; 08-16-18 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-16-18, 12:06 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
I wear over the ear aids and your audiologist should be taking care of this for you. Lots of products like this out there. Putting plastic bags over your head is just going to make your head sweat and run down right behind your ears. I take my aids out and put them in a pocket case if in the rain even for a short time. I've burned them before in just a couple minutes. YMMV
https://www.gearforears.com
ABOUT - Protect your hearing aid from the damaging effects of moisture, dust & dirt - Plus, extend your battery life too with the ORIGINAL Hearing Aid Sweat Band?
Old 08-16-18, 12:13 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 96 Posts
I have not worn aids while riding since about 1975. Instead, I use my eyes (and a mirror) to know what’s around me. I pay attention to what other drivers and riders do, also. I never have a problem.
Old 08-20-18, 01:04 PM
srestrepo

Bikes: 2016 Felt Z85 105, 2016 GT Grade Sora

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They're behind the ear hearing aids. The part that goes into my actual ear canal is just molded plastic, but the electronics are all up behind my ear.

I like the plastic bonnet idea. Maybe I could roll one of those up and keep it in my seat bag...

And on the breathability thing... Even if I commute down into the mid 30s F, I still end up taking the rain jacket off because I'm heating up too much. I usually end up just starting cold in a t shirt, that way I make it to work barely sweaty at all, no matter how hard I ride.
i feel for you on this problem. i tried to come up with a solution that was decent after you answered but i came up short.

sorry, but keep me posted, i'm curious to see what ends up being the end result for you.
Old 08-24-18, 06:11 AM
DIY masochist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was looking at the plastic bonnet and the shower cap comments, thinking "if only there was something like this but tight and stretchy so it could go underneath my helmet without a hassle." Then I had an idea. What about a swim cap? It looks like certain ones go partially or completely over the ears, which would be perfect. I might try to find a sports store and grab one. I'll let you know how it goes next time I get caught in the rain.

Old 08-24-18, 07:42 AM
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Call me crazy, but wouldn't the cap covering the ears invalidate the wearing of hearing aids?
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 08-24-18, 11:57 AM
DIY masochist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I doubt it will be thick enough to block out all the sound, but we shall see.
Old 08-24-18, 01:26 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I was looking at the plastic bonnet and the shower cap comments, thinking "if only there was something like this but tight and stretchy so it could go underneath my helmet without a hassle." Then I had an idea. What about a swim cap? It looks like certain ones go partially or completely over the ears, which would be perfect. I might try to find a sports store and grab one. I'll let you know how it goes next time I get caught in the rain.

Clever!
Old 08-30-18, 10:44 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
I also wear hearing aids, over the ear type. The rain bonnet idea looks good to me. Maybe we can find one or have one made by our better half :-)
that uses GoreTex fabric like water proof cycling clothes use. Then it would block the rain and also breath. Just thinking.............
Old 09-02-18, 09:30 AM
NewATBikeComute

Bikes: Trek 800 Sport,Cavelo Gara

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 6 Posts
I have behind the ear aids myself, sweat a lot, and have trouble keeping them clean and dry.

Ironically, was in Costco (where I purchased my aids), and ended up buying a 'drying box'. It's a small box with both UV and heat that runs a 30 minute disinfect / drying cycle. There may be other brands, this one is a "PerfectDry Lux", and cost $40. Powered by a microUSB cable and adapter, identical to a phone charger.

Used it last night for the first time, so no long term report yet.
Likes For NewATBikeComute:
Old 09-03-18, 03:45 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
I am a hearing aid user, and I get very worried when I get caught out in the rain on my bike. I have a Patagonia stretch rainshadow jacket that works to a point, but it wets through very fast. I can't trust it to keep my head dry in heavy rain, and it is really not as breathable as it claims to be, so I usually end up sweaty AND wet when I wear it cycling. I've tried cheap plastic ponchos, which keep the rain out, but are even less breathable and generally don't have a cinch to tighten the front of the hood, which means that water could get in from the front. A few very desperate times, I've put a plastic shopping bag underneath my helmet and tied it under my chin. I feel like there must be a better way.

Some things I have been pondering:
  • Why don't cycling jackets have hoods?
  • Is "breathable waterproof" an oxymoron?

PS, I know there is an adaptive cycling forum, but I figured this would get more views if I posted it here. There must be someone else out there that doesn't like to get their head wet when riding in the rain!
See, my new thread.

I'll be walking my child to nursery in the rain (1-1.5mi and then cycling into work from there ... another 1-1.5mi). So I picked up a jacket that will tolerate the wet rain both while pushing the pram/buggy and while cycling in afterward.

Can't wait to get some use of it.

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...l#post20544794
Old 09-04-18, 09:10 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Old 05-14-22, 07:32 PM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
I put mine in a baggie if it starts to rain or it's too humid and that's only if I decide to wear them at all. It's difficult to hear conversations in the best of conditions and when you add in the wind and background noise of a ride hearing is impossible. I've thought about the cochlear implants, but they are not perfect either, carve out voids for the implants/mechanisms in your helmet, etc.....

Being deaf has its perks and difficulties, as a rider you need to be extremely aware of your surroundings, be a great defensive rider and flexible enough to see what's is behind you when riding.

Moral to the story, why risk the hearing aids at 2K a pop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.