Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rene Herse sued over tubeless tire blowoff on hookless rims

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-22, 07:54 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...9#.YlA8oMjMKUk

RH has changed their guidance at least a couple times in the last 4 years, right? At least thats how it seems.
Tubeless for road is still a mess, despite what a few on here claim. It just is. Between higher pressures, rims that are cheaper to make being pushed as better, and sizing of both rims and tires being less than ideal...it is a mess. There is simply no other honest way to assess the situation from 30,000 feet.

Maybe nothing comes of this? Or maybe more uniformed tolerances are pushed more quickly?

It says Little had researched the Compass tire model on the brand’s website and concluded it was an appropriate fit for his rims. He said nothing on the company's website or the tire’s packaging suggested the tire was inappropriate for use with hookless rims. The complaint alleges that the company was aware of other consumer complaints about the tire model blowing off hookless rims.
The suit alleges that after the crash Little sent the tire to Rene Herse for inspection and that the company later told him they had lost the damaged tire despite promises to return it.
Old 04-08-22, 08:33 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 366 Posts
As for the lawsuit, Rene Herse’s big problem is spoliation of evidence in not preserving the tire. At a minimum the plaintiff gets a jury instruction that the tire would have been helpful in proving their case.

As for tubeless road being a mess, I think you’re painting with way too broad a brush. The issue here appears to be whether this particular tire was safe to use with hookless rims.

The one incident may or may not tell you much about hookless rims with other road tires. And it tells you nothing about road tubeless on hooked rims.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 04-08-22, 08:38 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Also, being a defense lawyer, I may not be very sympathetic to plaintiffs, but who files a law suit over what essentially appears to be some road rash?

Any tire can blow out and lead to a fall, for any number of reasons. It’s a risk inherent in cycling. When the adverse consequence is some road rash and a pulled muscle, put on some tagaderm, and suck it up.
Old 04-08-22, 08:54 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
As for tubeless road being a mess, I think you’re painting with way too broad a brush. The issue here appears to be whether this particular tire was safe to use with hookless rims.
Am I though? You have rim/wheel brands that specify which tires they accept on their wheels. I would say that alone is clear evidence that road tubeless is a mess. Tire brands and wheel brands are both constantly checking compatibility for safety. Users at home are constantly confused as to what will or wont work and what combo of tire with their rim will actually even mount without using a mounting tool that looks like the Jaws of Life.
Industry news op-eds write about the confusion. Industry insiders have discussed the frustration.

It sure doesnt seem like too broad a brush. Saying its a mess seems very much on point.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-08-22, 08:56 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
I have some Compass [sic, NOS] 38mm Barlow Pass tires on my (hooked, tubed) rims now. I think more changed than just the Rene Herse label, and that the ones that actually say "Compass" on them, even if they are NOS, aren't "tubeless ready." They don't say "don't use as tubeless," but I got the impression somewhere that I shouldn't.
Old 04-08-22, 09:04 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3257 Post(s)
Liked 2,082 Times in 978 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Am I though? You have rim/wheel brands that specify which tires they accept on their wheels. I would say that alone is clear evidence that road tubeless is a mess. Tire brands and wheel brands are both constantly checking compatibility for safety. Users at home are constantly confused as to what will or wont work and what combo of tire with their rim will actually even mount without using a mounting tool that looks like the Jaws of Life.
Industry news op-eds write about the confusion. Industry insiders have discussed the frustration.

It sure doesnt seem like too broad a brush. Saying its a mess seems very much on point.
You are painting with an overly broad brush. Have you actually read what those rim manufacturers say on their website? It’s not confusing in the least. At least in my opinion.

I haven’t mounted a tubeless tire with any other than my hands in over two years. Everyone paints tubeless as this horrible to maintain process where it’s really not much more effort than a tubed tire- again jmo
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 04-08-22, 09:09 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

The problems with "road" tubeless, specifically (which is what mstateglfr was focusing on), are the much higher pressures and typically narrower tires. The current Rene Herse (formerly Compass) recommendation is not to use tubeless for anything less than 35mm tires. The wider tires like the 38mm Barlow Pass are run at much lower than typical road pressures (eg: 40 psi vs 80+ psi).
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-08-22, 09:11 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

So you need to know that your tire is compatible with your rim, and you run appropriate tire pressure.

Admittedly, there’s some confusion to sort out, as different manufacturers take different approaches. However, like most things it will sort itself out.

And even now, many of us seem to be successfully managing putting the right tire in the right rim. It”s not rocket surgery.
Old 04-08-22, 09:33 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Admittedly, there’s some confusion to sort out, as different manufacturers take different approaches. However, like most things it will sort itself out.
So there is confusion, brands take different approaches, and things are not yet sorted out.

^ I call that 'a mess'. It certainly isnt a harmonic and tidy process.
Old 04-08-22, 09:43 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts

Yes, it’s a mess.
Old 04-08-22, 09:49 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

So you need to know that your tire is compatible with your rim, and you run appropriate tire pressure.

And even now, many of us seem to be successfully managing putting the right tire in the right rim. It”s not rocket surgery.
The (current) directions on the Rene Herse website are rather explicit, and better than any others that I have seen. The plaintiff claims to have done everything correctly, and still suffered injury as a result of the tire blowing off. Keep in mind also that the plaintiff's medical insurance company may well be the one bringing the suit, even if the plaintiff himself just shrugs it off as bad luck or user error.

My kid is running 23 mm Vittoria tires tubeless at high pressure on Bontrager carbon rims. Supposedly this will work fine (and so far it has), but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he blows a tire off. I had a tubed 28mm Vittoria blow off a hooked rim. Shyte happens. If it happens at high speed, the results can be problematic.
Old 04-08-22, 10:49 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
I guess that I don't understand why people that think XYZ is a mess don't just leave well enough alone from XYZ.

I have TSS wheels (Zipp 303S) and I know to pair them with tires that the manufacturer has stated are compliant with ETRTO TSS standards - simple enough. If one wishes to avoid that kind of "mess," fine, but it's dreadfully tedious to defend the hyperbolic admonitions being hurled from people on the sidelines.
Old 04-08-22, 10:57 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
The (current) directions on the Rene Herse website are rather explicit, and better than any others that I have seen.
The incident happened 3 years ago. As many people have observed, the directions on the RH website have changed since then.
Old 04-08-22, 11:02 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I guess that I don't understand why people that think XYZ is a mess don't just leave well enough alone from XYZ.

I have TSS wheels (Zipp 303S) and I know to pair them with tires that the manufacturer has stated are compliant with ETRTO TSS standards - simple enough. If one wishes to avoid that kind of "mess," fine, but it's dreadfully tedious to defend the hyperbolic admonitions being hurled from people on the sidelines.
While Zipp may explicitly state which tires are compatible with their rims, other wheel manufacturers do not. It's not a condemnation of tubeless, but the compatibility issue is a real problem.
Old 04-08-22, 11:12 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
It's not a condemnation of tubeless, but the compatibility issue is a real problem.
If that's one's perception, fine - just stay away, rather than form a peanut gallery.
Old 04-08-22, 11:19 AM
tomato coupe

While Zipp may explicitly state which tires are compatible with their rims, other wheel manufacturers do not. It's not a condemnation of tubeless, but the compatibility issue is a real problem.
If that's one's perception, fine - just stay away, rather than form a peanut gallery.
It's not an issue of perception. The wheel and tire manufacturers understand there are compatibility issues, and they are trying to sort it out. The situation will likely get ironed out in the near future but, for now, it is what it is.
Old 04-08-22, 11:24 AM
WhyFi

It's not an issue of perception. The wheel and tire manufacturers understand there are compatibility issues, and they are trying to sort it out. The situation will likely get ironed out in the near future but, for now, it is what it is.
Okay, sure. So why not just wash your hands of it and be done with it? Those that are comfortably navigating the waters don't need to constantly be told about how treacherous it is from those on shore.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-08-22, 11:28 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

The incident happened 3 years ago. As many people have observed, the directions on the RH website have changed since then.
Hence my use of "(current)".

My main point is the 38mm Barlow Pass tires may have changed as well since 2019. About six months ago I purchased some "Compass" 38mm Barlow Pass tires from a LBS, which presumably are NOS dating to 2019 or before (when the name and label changed to "Rene Herse"). The packaging did not explicitly say that they were tubeless-compatible, and I do know that the treading was slightly thicker that what is on the current Barlow Pass tires labeled "Rene Herse," so some things have actually changed with these tires as well, not just the website description. Whether that change is limited only to the label and the tread thickness and tire mass, I do not know.
Old 04-08-22, 11:32 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2696 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Id be embarrassed to call attention to a crash due to a tire blowout.
Old 04-08-22, 11:33 AM
tomato coupe

Okay, sure. So why not just wash your hands of it and be done with it? Those that are comfortably navigating the waters don't need to constantly be told about how treacherous it is from those on shore.
What's your problem? This thread is about a lawsuit involving tubeless tires, and the primary issue in the lawsuit will be compatibility of the defendant's tires when used on the plaintiff's wheels. Comments about present compatibility issues are spot on topic.
Old 04-08-22, 11:33 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Worlds are colliding!!
Likes For datlas:
Old 04-08-22, 11:47 AM
WhyFi

What's your problem? This thread is about a lawsuit involving tubeless tires, and the primary issue in the lawsuit will be compatibility of the defendant's tires when used on the plaintiff's wheels. Comments about present compatibility issues are spot on topic.
I'm commenting on the practice that's rampant on BF, in general. Lots of comments, like the OP, exist solely provide unsolicited *****ing, moaning, and complaining while warning off others from something that they seemingly have little interest or experience with. Why dedicate time and energy to something like that? It's like hate-watching a show just so you can enumerate its flaws to fans of the show. It's weird.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-08-22, 11:54 AM
tomato coupe

I'm commenting on the practice that's rampant on BF, in general. Lots of comments, like the OP, exist solely provide unsolicited *****ing, moaning, and complaining while warning off others from something that they seemingly have little interest or experience with. Why dedicate time and energy to something like that? It's like hate-watching a show just so you can enumerate its flaws to fans of the show. It's weird.
It's best to read a post before complaining about what was written:

Old 04-08-22, 12:05 PM
guy153

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Between higher pressures, rims that are cheaper to make being pushed as better, and sizing of both rims and tires being less than ideal...it is a mess
I hadn't even heard of these. When you say cheaper to make does this mainly apply to carbon fibre rims? The aluminium ones you just scooch out of your extrudifier surely and it should all be basically the same?

In fact over the years they've been able to make much finer extrusions anyway.
Old 04-08-22, 12:06 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Id be embarrassed to call attention to a crash due to a tire blowout.
You call attention to it by going to the hospital and wracking up charges. The attention of your insurance company, specifically. THEY go after whomever they believe they can recover costs from. They even have a BS term for the procedure: subrogation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.