Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How do you deal with sweaty clothes and wet towel?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How do you deal with sweaty clothes and wet towel?

Old 05-11-22, 06:04 PM
ericoseveins
I like cats.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
I don't use a towel. Right after my shower I apply lotion as nine out of ten dermatologists recommend. After that's finished I'm still soggy but no longer dripping, so I just put on my work clothes and am usually fully dry after a few minutes.

DC also gets pretty hot and humid in the summers but I can't say I've had too many issues with the sweaty clothing. On really severe days I will take off the t-shirt on my ride in. Maybe consider borrowing a page from basketball/volleyball and going with some type of mesh tank top on really hot days? Or alternatively could you leave a portable washing machine in the work locker room? They typically don't take much space and have high velocity spin cycles that wring out most of the water in just a minute or so. You could soak the gear in the sink quickly, then spin and hang in the locker.
Old 05-12-22, 12:43 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
what about a laundry service at work?
Old 05-12-22, 04:40 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
Originally Posted by HeyItsSara
what about a laundry service at work?
maybe if one worked at a hotel?
Old 05-12-22, 04:42 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
Change when you get to work. Wash stuff daily when you get home.
Yes, exactly. It's amazing how BF never misses the opportunity to overcomplicate things.
Old 05-16-22, 08:29 AM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
my coworker rides to work and has a laundry service.
Likes For HeyItsSara:
Old 05-16-22, 04:41 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
... or a laundry.
Old 05-22-22, 04:30 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Before I had retired, I used to discretely lay out my bathtowel on my desk behind the computer. It's warm back there. We had the good luck of several shower rooms. As for my cycling clothes, I would arrive to work in the morning so they wouldn't have been that sweaty. So I just hung them in the personal cabinet at my desk which all my coworkers also had.

Last edited by Daniel4; 05-22-22 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-23-22, 04:49 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
Can you speak to your employer about setting up a drying room or if not a drying room, investing in a clothes dryer? I live/work in the UK and it rains pretty much all winter and sometimes all summer. In winter, I set-up a little drying station in the dressing rooms (I work in a theatre in a university) with a small portable heater and a costume rail. Might be something you could do in the locker room if neither a drying room or a dryer are viable options.
Old 05-23-22, 02:30 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts

On my bike in the office
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 06-03-22, 06:32 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
my $.02

Originally Posted by urbanescapee
I'm in SLC. I've been working at my current employer for several months now. The bike ride to work is not easy/short enough for me to be doing it every day at this time, but I've been pretty good about riding 2-3 days a week since I started there (even through winter). This company has the best bike commuter setup of anywhere I've worked so far; indoor bike parking, lockers, and two handicap shower rooms. Through the winter, I didn't sweat much while riding in. Now that things are warming up and the ride to work is all uphill, things are getting pretty sweaty/wet; this will only get worse as we approach the 100 deg F temps that are coming soon in the summer. My clothes are beginning to get soaked from sweat on the ride to work, and then there's the wet towel to deal with after my shower at work. I hang everything in the locker until I go home at the end of the workday, but I ride home in whatever clothes I wore during the workday because 1) I don't want to put that stinky/damp clothes back on from the ride to work, 2) I'm not getting sweaty/dirty on the ride home because it's all down hill, and 3) I just want to go home and not fuss with changing clothes again.

The big issue is my stinky, sweaty, wet clothes and wet towel sitting in my locker all day. They're accumulating a smell of mildew that I can't stand. I ride to work in clean clothes every time, but the towel stays in the locker for a week before I bring it back home for a wash. I've tried washing the towel after every use, no difference.

So, those of you who sweat on the way to work and shower when you get there, what are you doing with your sweaty, smelly clothes and wet towel? Ideally, I'd like them to be dry by the time I go back home. I've though a bout a battery powered fan inside the locker to move air around, but not sure if this would work because the locker has pretty pathetic vents that probably won't allow for much air exchange.
My plan was to hang them on hangers in my cubicle. I had stand up desk section put some more desk around me. I would hang them under the non stand up section part. I would run second fan that would blow on the clothes throughout the day. No one ever said they could smell the clothes. it just looked kinda funny. I also would recommend carrying a microfiber towel. They pack small and dry quickly.

"Who’s gonna steal bike shorts?" they may not steal shorts but I had my towel stolen once. I had it hanging out of my locker at that job. I then put it in the bike commuter lockers which had holes for air flow.
Old 06-21-22, 08:59 AM
amitzinman

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Where do you lock your bike? It might be better to hang your clothes to dry on the bike itself.
Personally, I would just wear less on the way to work, it's legal in Portland Just some short shorts and then when I'm close to work I would put on some clothes before people see me
Likes For amitzinman:
Old 06-24-22, 11:52 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
I strongly recommend you find a way to hang your clothes properly. You might find a "data closet" where people rarely go. It might even have good circulation.

My recent summer commuting routine was to change in the office without showering. I was lucky enough to have a private office. I hung my clothes up in the office. People rarely visited, and I did my best to hide the clothes. While changing, I rubbed witch hazel on my sweaty bits. It's an astringent that does not dry the skin. It stops my sweating!

This summer I start student teaching at a high school. I do not know what I will do. One possibility is that I won't change or wash. Maybe I won't be too unsightly with my sweat?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-25-22, 02:39 PM
Schlafen

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 63 Posts
I shave all my body hair (from the neck down) at least once a year between March-September. Just shaving your armpits will make a world of difference in the way your sweat smells, not only helps with sweat evaporation but keeps away alot of the bacteria from breeding in moist areas of the body. I used to ride in full kit on my road bike in the past years (20 miles round trip), however, this year I got a Brompton and don't ride in full kit anymore, now I ride in a looser gym tshirt (Under Armour or whatever, long/short sleeve depending on temperature) compression gym shorts and sandals. I don't use cotton while riding or exercising. I sweat the same amount on my road bikes as on my Brompton. While I love cycling in full kit on the weekends, I prefer this casual setup on my commute to work, much more enjoyable commuting experience.

Obligatory shower and deodorant in the morning right before I begin the ride to work. Last mile or so I take it ultra easy to get my heart rate down and, usually, body and kit is all dry before I arrive at the office. Don't have shower facilities at work so I rinse my face in the sink and change in clean office attire. If it's extremely hot ( very rare in Uk, still use a long sleeve shirt in the morning and it's June now) I use some extra deodorant spray, not liquid, gel or bar as they stay wet for longer and accentuate the sweat smell.

I take a batch of clean clothes in with me (usually on Monday, sometimes Friday) for the following week and keep them in a drawer, I bring home with me every day the shirt/tshirt/underwear/socks I use during the day, trousers stay at work and usually have 2 pairs in rotation for the week. I reuse the tshirt and shorts for my ride home as they are dry, sometimes they may stink a bit but don't care on my way home.

I work in the same office as the company director, had no complaints whatsoever in the past 6 years I've been working for this company.
Old 06-27-22, 02:10 AM
Sardines

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanescapee
I'm in SLC. I've been working at my current employer for several months now. The bike ride to work is not easy/short enough for me to be doing it every day at this time, but I've been pretty good about riding 2-3 days a week since I started there (even through winter). This company has the best bike commuter setup of anywhere I've worked so far; indoor bike parking, lockers, and two handicap shower rooms. Through the winter, I didn't sweat much while riding in. Now that things are warming up and the ride to work is all uphill, things are getting pretty sweaty/wet; this will only get worse as we approach the 100 deg F temps that are coming soon in the summer. My clothes are beginning to get soaked from sweat on the ride to work, and then there's the wet towel to deal with after my shower at work. I hang everything in the locker until I go home at the end of the workday, but I ride home in whatever clothes I wore during the workday because 1) I don't want to put that stinky/damp clothes back on from the ride to work, 2) I'm not getting sweaty/dirty on the ride home because it's all down hill, and 3) I just want to go home and not fuss with changing clothes again.

The big issue is my stinky, sweaty, wet clothes and wet towel sitting in my locker all day. They're accumulating a smell of mildew that I can't stand. I ride to work in clean clothes every time, but the towel stays in the locker for a week before I bring it back home for a wash. I've tried washing the towel after every use, no difference.

So, those of you who sweat on the way to work and shower when you get there, what are you doing with your sweaty, smelly clothes and wet towel? Ideally, I'd like them to be dry by the time I go back home. I've though a bout a battery powered fan inside the locker to move air around, but not sure if this would work because the locker has pretty pathetic vents that probably won't allow for much air exchange.
If your parking area is away from the office, how about hanging all the wet stuff out there, as someone else suggested? UT has an arid climate, so I'd imagine it would dry relatively quickly even indoors, unless you have air conditioning for the bike area? Also in lieu of the cotton towel, get one of those chammy towels, which can be wrung drier than cotton and dries quicker too. My kids use them for swim training. Otherwise, a wet bag with a fridge baking soda pack also helps with odors.
Old 09-10-22, 10:24 PM
urbanescapee

Bikes: 2011 Raleigh Sojourn, 2012 Marin Four Corners, 2013 Soma Saga, 2014 Scott Spark 940, 2017 Brompton H6E, 2016 Trek FX 7.2

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks!

Thanks, everyone, for the input! I’ve started leaving my towel on the bike to dry and that seems to work pretty well. I also learned that when clothes get that mildew-ey smell that doesn’t seem to go away even after washing, if you add a cup of vinegar to the wash it’ll kill the orgs that are responsible for the bad odor; that has also helped tremendously. I seeme your have sorted out a good system for summertime riding. Now we’ll have to see it it still works well for winter…
Likes For urbanescapee:
Old 09-10-22, 11:07 PM
elroberto

Bikes: 1994 Marin Eldridge Grade, 1991 Bianchi Osprey, 1989 Specialized Rock Hopper

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
i perpetually stink
Old 09-12-22, 09:37 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
I dried my towel and damp clothes on my bike during the day. Just hung everything over the bars and top tube.

But I also brought in a clean towel daily. I commuted with panniers and just brought everything in and out.