Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

10 Benefits of Cycling

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

10 Benefits of Cycling

Old 05-14-22, 06:36 AM
Deko

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
10 Benefits of Cycling

Cycling is one of the best ways and a great exercise to keep yourself healthy and fit as it includes complete movement of the body and burns excessive calories and bad fats. Cycling does not only help you burn extra body fats but it also involves a lot of other benefits that can prove to be very helpful for you. You might probably be thinking what can be the possible benefits of cycling other than losing extra fats and burning some calories. Well, in this article, we are going to have a look at the 10 benefits of cycling so you can see how crucial it is and can help you improve your health.

Cycling benefits

Here is the complete list of cycling benefits with a detailed description and in-depth explanation so you do not ever have to face any complications while considering cycling as a daily routine of your life.

Cardiovascular fitness

The first benefit of cycling that we are going to consider is cardiovascular fitness. Regular cycling can prove to be a great factor in reduced chances of heart strokes, heart attack, high blood pressure, and other related health issues as it makes your muscles stronger and helps you in lowering your heartbeat. You do not have to practice high-level cycling skills or other techniques as a simple cycling round for 45 minutes to 50 minutes is recommended for a good experience.

Muscle strength

The next benefit on our list is muscle strength. Cycling is a great source to strengthen your muscles as it involves the movement of your body in different directions. The movement during cycling enhances your shoulder muscles and hamstrings for more power and strength. You might feel a little tired and stressed when you newly start cycling but with time, we assure you that it will not be difficult for you and you will be able to feel your muscles getting stronger.

Lower stress

Cycling might not be directly related to stress but it plays a huge role in lowering your stress level. Taking some time out of your busy working schedule and hectic days for some exercises in the form of cycling under the fresh air helps you relax. It releases tensions while you cycle
through the wonders of nature. Just like a morning walk helps you to stay fresh, cycling helps you in lowering stress and anxiety while improving your physical strength.

Enhances stamina

The next benefit that is very crucial for youth is the enhancement of stamina. As a young person or youth, you might need a lot of energy for different tasks. If you do not exercise or cycle regularly then your body will not be able to endure hardships that you might have to face later.
Cycling helps you build more stamina and energy so you can perform every task with greater efficiency.

Fun exercise

The next benefit we will be discussing is fun and enjoyment while cycling. Most of the time people find it a bit difficult to spare some time and do exercise but with cycling, it is not as hard as it gets with traditional exercise. Cycling is considered the most fun way to exercise as it does not include any complex methods or techniques. You can choose cycling as a hobby or as a transport also for nearby places such as parks or stores.

Strong bones

Exercise is not enough for making your bones strong. Here is the place when cycling benefits jump in and take over the win. Exercise is only for burning extra calories or losing excess weight but cycling can prove to be a very beneficial way to make your bones stronger so they can
overcome bone diseases and do not break easily in any case. The up and down movement of your legs while pedaling puts pressure on your hips, hamstrings, feet, ankles, and lower leg to enhance their strength.

Weight control

One of the most crucial benefits of cycling for obese people is weight control. Regular cycling not only helps you in making your bones strong and protecting you from heart diseases but it is also popular for losing weight and maintaining a healthy weight since cycling is also a type of
the most effective exercise as it involves movement of the body and burning calories at a fast pace than most of the exercises.

Chronic diseases

Protection from chronic diseases such as cancer and diabetes is yet another advantage of cycling that urges you to go for regular cycling practices. Cycling helps you regulate bowel movement that prevents colon and breast cancer. Similarly, physical activity involved in cycling regulates blood flow and burns down bad fats results in protection from diabetes. This advantage is also proved by the researchers.

Improved coordination

The second last benefit of cycling that we got for you in this list is improved coordination by cycling. Regular cycle practice helps you improve your body posture and coordination as you learn to pedal in a systematic manner. As well the posture of your back, straight head
positioning, and stretched-out arms while riding a bike helps you in maintaining the same and better posture in other daily life tasks.

Fresh air

The last but not the least of all benefits of cycling is the fresh air. Fresh air is related to all the other benefits of cycling that we discussed above to improve or enhance your experience. Fresh air keeps you mentally healthy. While breathing fresh air and cycling, you will always feel fresh at work and in other aspects of life that will ultimately result in greater productivity.

Conclusion

It is time to end our roller coaster journey regarding the 10 benefits of cycling since we have gone through the details. We hope you must have learned all the crucial factors regarding the benefits of cycling. Now, the only thing you need to do is choose a suitable time and start cycling regularly to stay healthy, fit, and active.
Likes For Deko:
Old 05-14-22, 06:53 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
I think you're preaching to the choir here, bud.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-14-22, 07:00 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
They seem to have difficulty dealing with bots. One has been running hard in Ebikes for quite some time.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-14-22, 07:28 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
You missed: It is one of the few exercises you can do while sitting on your butt.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 05-14-22, 07:43 AM
daniell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Cycling causes me to gain weight. After cycling, I get hungry and consume more calories than I had burned while cycling.
Likes For daniell:
Old 05-14-22, 07:48 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
11. Free parking
12. Traffic congestion does not affect cyclists
13. Gasoline prices can go through the roof and cyclists won't care.
Old 05-14-22, 10:11 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
13. Gasoline prices can go through the roof and cyclists won't care.
Except that 99% of cyclists also own vehicles and need to drive to get to work, run errands and handle family responsibilities....so yes gasoline prices do have a negative effect on cyclists.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 05-14-22, 11:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Citation needed, like where did you copy and paste this article from?
Old 05-14-22, 03:33 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Indeed. The one thing I will say with regard to cardiovascular health is you can actually get so well conditioned that you have to inform your healthcare provider of your training (if you don't already know this). My resting heart rate now is generally in the 50s and when I sleep it can drop down into the 30s and there is nothing wrong with me. Case in point, a couple months ago I had a minor procedure but it started so late in the day they kept me overnight. Standard protocol is everybody admitted to the floor gets telemetry so I was hooked up just like everybody else. About 3am, the nurse wakes me up to make sure I'm feeling OK. I tell her I feel fine, "why?" She tells me my heart rate was down to 35bpm.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 05-14-22, 03:48 PM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
TLDNR; Seems harmless enough, however the entity that is deko is treading a fine line based on their post in the introductions forum
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 05-14-22, 04:00 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by deko
Here is the complete list of cycling benefits with a detailed description and in-depth explanation so you do not ever have to face any complications while considering cycling as a daily routine of your life.

This is the complete list of benefits, so if something isn't on this list, it's not a benefit.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-14-22, 09:08 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,826 Posts
I love cycling but always heard that swimming is the best sport for all around fitness. And a point of contention about stronger bones. Since cycling is non-weight bearing cyclists, at least at the pro-level tend to have more brittle bones. Runners tend to have stronger leg bones due to its percussive nature. The rest of it sounds pretty much right, especially the fun part, but for me alpine skiing beats cycling for fun. Ride on

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-14-22, 09:55 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Except that 99% of cyclists also own vehicles and need to drive to get to work, run errands and handle family responsibilities....so yes gasoline prices do have a negative effect on cyclists.
Sure. Me included. And as long as we are able to cycle, we're not driving nor consuming gasoline.
Old 05-15-22, 04:58 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Honestly I think that once youre used to cycling its not a very good workout unless you are really pushing it, or have to climb a hill. cruising around on the flats is super efficient, I don't think its as taxing as jogging for instance
Old 05-15-22, 06:12 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,290 Times in 7,228 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I love cycling but always heard that swimming is the best sport for all around fitness.
Some say x-country skiing.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-15-22, 06:29 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I love cycling but always heard that swimming is the best sport for all around fitness.
Swimming is terrible because it isn't a weight bearing exercise and doesn't do anything to build muscle or increase bone density.
Old 05-15-22, 06:31 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 1,626 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
A newb trying to get to 10, posts something to remind us what a great hobby / lifestyle cycling is and what's he get but grief.
Likes For Deal4Fuji:
Old 05-15-22, 11:06 AM
MNebiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
A newb trying to get to 10, posts something to remind us what a great hobby / lifestyle cycling is and what's he get but grief.
No - Deko is not a bot or simple newb. He is Deko Sports UK, a UK online cycling clothing & accessories store.
Likes For MNebiker:
Old 05-15-22, 12:34 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by MNebiker
No - Deko is not a bot or simple newb. He is Deko Sports UK, a UK online cycling clothing & accessories store.
Thanks. Pretty obvious there was some commercial motivation, especially considering one the other three posts.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-15-22, 01:11 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
They seem to have difficulty dealing with bots. One has been running hard in Ebikes for quite some time.
At least this is more readable than the crap the other one posted.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 05-15-22, 02:08 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
Originally Posted by MNebiker
"Hello Dave, I'm Deko 9000..."
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 05-15-22, 02:16 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
1. Plenty of time to enjoy the scenery on the way to your destination
2. hone essential survival skills like dodging
3. concussions prepare you for later habitation in memory care
4. Sow your wild oats without fear of them germinating
5. adequate excuse to eat garbage food and drink beers that taste like pine-sol syrup
6. When you voluntarily join an oppressed minority you could leave any time, you get to complain how oppressed you are without any fear of actual repression
7. The whole Lycra thing including the Lycra backlash to the cotton backlash to the Lycra
8. concussions prepare you for later habitation in memory care
9. Constant leg pain
10. Bikeforums!
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 05-15-22, 02:59 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
4. Sow your wild oats without fear of them germinating!
Except this one time in Minnesota….Actually, never mind.
Old 05-15-22, 03:54 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
5. adequate excuse to eat garbage food and drink beers that taste like pine-sol syrup
Man I loved Sierra Nevada Torpedo when it first came out. They changed it after a couple of years and it lost that piney finish.

Old 05-15-22, 04:10 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Man I loved Sierra Nevada Torpedo when it first came out. They changed it after a couple of years and it lost that piney finish.
I don't feel like SNPA tastes the same either.
Genesis 49:16-17

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.