Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Worn Brooks Saddle

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Worn Brooks Saddle

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-21, 04:42 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Worn Brooks Saddle

My ten year old Brooks saddle now has two spots that you can feel (in the back) where I sit. The funny thing, you can't see them but you sure can fell it. Is there anything I can do to fix them or is it trash?
Old 09-22-21, 07:35 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
A couple of questions to clarify what you mean...

(1) Is it a B-17?

(2) Are you certain that you have the nose angle correct?

(3) Do you mean to say that the pressure created by your sit bones within those divots makes the saddle un-rideable?

(4) Is there any outward deflection of the saddle skirts when you're seated? Have you considered lacing the skirts to prevent this.

(5) Where is the tension nut set?

(6) Can you provide photos that would help to explain the problem?
Old 09-22-21, 07:40 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
^ What he said, plus: Has the saddle ever gotten soaked while you were riding?
Old 09-22-21, 08:16 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
It's supposed to do that
Old 09-22-21, 11:16 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
My ten year old Brooks saddle now has two spots that you can feel (in the back) where I sit. The funny thing, you can't see them but you sure can fell it. Is there anything I can do to fix them or is it trash?
Congratulations, it has "broken in." That's what is supposed to happen.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-22-21, 04:11 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts

While it’s not a Brooks…this is a broken in leather saddle and what they should look like
Old 09-23-21, 04:31 AM
Colorado Kid

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
I had the LBS check out the seat. Everything is where it should be. (Angle etc.) I could drown the poor thing and hope I can remold it. Amazon had "used" B-17 for $65.00. I ordered a new seat. At that price, it's worth starting over.
Old 09-23-21, 12:13 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
While it’s not a Brooks…this is a broken in leather saddle and what they should look like
This is a broken in Brooks B72, OEM on my 1972 Raleigh Sports, last used on a bike in 2012 in Afghanistan

This is a Brooks B66, OEM on a 1976 Raleigh Superbe, still in use after being transferred to and from several commuter bikes

Treated with nothing but sweat, very comfortable still.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 09-23-21 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-24-21, 11:24 AM
macstuff 

Bikes: A Blue One and 2 Green One's, then there's the Yellow one. And oh, yeah, a Black One. Did I mention the Red One?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 82 Posts
It takes quite awhile to break in a standard hard Brooks saddle, most people are used to sitting on them hard and consider them worn as they start to 'bucket."
But they are supposed to do that. Thats when they become comfortable. I myself have an "aged" flyer on one of my bikes. Its made of thick leather and all, but is is pliable from the start.
When the seat starts to bucket, the sides will start to wing out. That is why some older seats have been drilled for wing gathers and the new "aged" seats from Brooks come with them. Tyeing the side together underneath helps to maintain shape and also is another means of adjustment as it buckets.
If you notice, there is no bracing under the leather of the seat. It is supposed to eventually become a cradle of sorts that you then tension to your liking with the front tension nut.
A fully broken in B.72 - 66 - 67 etc, is a ride that Comfort seats cant match, but few people get to that point and think of their old seat in that way.
A lot of folks want things to look crisp and new and they get to sit on a hard seat.

Last edited by macstuff; 10-10-21 at 11:37 AM.
Likes For macstuff:
Old 09-24-21, 02:38 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
For me Brooks was most comfortable out of the box. As mine aged and 'bucketed' it stopped providing support at my sit bones and instead increased pressure on my crotch area. I eventually got a plastic saddle which doesn't sag as it wears so the comfort does not change.
Likes For noisebeam:
Old 09-27-21, 09:14 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
I had the LBS check out the seat. Everything is where it should be. (Angle etc.) I could drown the poor thing and hope I can remold it. Amazon had "used" B-17 for $65.00. I ordered a new seat. At that price, it's worth starting over.
Sounds like you've decided what to do. FWIW, though, when a leather saddle becomes a bit less comfortable, that's my cue to tension it up a little bit.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 10-05-21, 01:42 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
For me Brooks was most comfortable out of the box. As mine aged and 'bucketed' it stopped providing support at my sit bones and instead increased pressure on my crotch area. I eventually got a plastic saddle which doesn't sag as it wears so the comfort does not change.
I 100% agree. New B-17 is really comfy, it gets less comfortable as it ages. I've given up on them, they don't last more than a year or two before they start getting way too soft.
Old 10-05-21, 09:20 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Viich
I 100% agree. New B-17 is really comfy, it gets less comfortable as it ages. I've given up on them, they don't last more than a year or two before they start getting way too soft.
It's said that Brooks uses thinner or softer leather on B17 Standards because that flexy "easy to break in" characteristic is expected from them now. Whether that's true or not, the narrower or shorter models seem less prone to this. Pros are famously hard, and I've been pleased by the firmness of my B17 Narrow models. Ditto for the B17S (standard width but shorter) models on my wife's bikes.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-08-21, 12:25 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
It's said that Brooks uses thinner or softer leather on B17 Standards because that flexy "easy to break in" characteristic is expected from them now. Whether that's true or not, the narrower or shorter models seem less prone to this. Pros are famously hard, and I've been pleased by the firmness of my B17 Narrow models. Ditto for the B17S (standard width but shorter) models on my wife's bikes.
Meh. I'm on Fabric Scoop right now, have no issues. All the narrower models seem to be about twice the price, I'm probably done. My wife has taken my B-17s now anyway.
Old 10-09-21, 07:17 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Everyone's ass is different.
Old 10-10-21, 11:34 AM
macstuff 

Bikes: A Blue One and 2 Green One's, then there's the Yellow one. And oh, yeah, a Black One. Did I mention the Red One?

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 82 Posts
Something else to consider is peoples style of riding.
A lot of people put a B.17 on a tour bike but a B.17 is not made as a touring saddle. A person is not supposed to be sitting on it, as much as against it.
Although, what you use something for is its ultimate purpose.
Racing a bike, a saddle is a place to put your butt on a downhill, otherwise you are perched and the saddle is used by your inner thighs for control.
The reasoning that saddles like the B.15 Swallow and B.17 narrow have been common choices for racing saddles in the past.
In todays environment, the Brooks saddle is an icon, a mainstay and a baseline. More of an Eroica throwback that a modern cutting edge accessory.
Modern day racing bicycles use 3oz. seats and Brooks doesn't offer any actual racing seats anymore.
If the seat has springs, it is meant for more of an upright riding stance. The seat is a pivot point rather than a brace

I guess the OP has solved the issue with a new saddle but did I read anywhere where the saddles adjuster got used to tighten up the top?
That is one of the best features of these old saddles. Right off-hand it seems those depressions could possibly be stretched out with the adjuster.
Old 10-11-21, 06:19 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I wouldn’t say that Brooks (or nonBrooks) saddle should all have divots. Mine have never developed divots of any kind. The brown one on the right is 20+ years old and the one on the left is of a similar age. The brown one has about 20,000 miles on it and the black one about 500 (or less). The brown one is actually broken as in the frame is broken (since repaired).

This one is newer (2015), has 5000 to 6000 miles on it and no divots.

On the bike

Bike on the edge of White Fish Bay.

And this one, a B17 Narrow, was on my touring bike previously. About 8000 miles on it all totaled.

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!