Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-24, 02:58 PM
sbrudno

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Motobecane Super Mirage (3x5 speeds), Motobecane Mirage, Atala (unknown model), Peugeot mixte frame Tourist and Schwinn Sport. A bunch more kids bikes. Most recently a Trek Verve One, tricked up for serious touring.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by spinconn
I don't think I have posted here before, despite turning 75 a couple of weeks ago. I fast skimmed through the posts to see what older folks are riding and was surprised to see mostly road bikes in the photos. I am thinking of switching from a road bike with a relaxed geometry to a hybrid or comfort bike for a more upright position. Everyone likes to go fast and long but for me long is more important than fast and by long, at this age I mean 10 to 20 miles a day 5 or 6 days a week, but not fast. I am wondering if many older folks are riding hybrids or comfort bikes for rides over a few miles. Is it too difficult to go 10+ miles on a more relaxed bike?
As someone who turns 73 next week, I get your issue. However, there are road bikes and there are road bikes. I have a venerable 1979 Motobecane Super Mirage that I have converted into a touring bike with front and rear racks, wider tires, converted 15 gears and a comfortable seat. It is fine for weekend treks and overnighters. I would not use it for longer. I also have a dedicated touring bike, Trek Verve that has disk brakes, dual racks, comfy seat and wide tires that give a very comfortable ride for hours at a time. I do not go particularly fast, not that I ever really ever did, and the reason for riding is the pure enjoyment of the trip. You may find that with the right bike, fitted correctly (and yes, you should have it fitted), you can do the 10-20 miles and probably more. Some ROUTINE stretches should be included in your riding. If you have a very old helmet, get a newer one. The technology has improved. If you are going on the road by yourself, you don't need to go fast. If you are joining someone else, establish what is OK for you in terms of time, distance and speed.
Good luck and keep the forum updated on your progress!
Likes For sbrudno:
Old 04-12-24, 09:54 AM
pelirary

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by spinconn
I don't think I have posted here before, despite turning 75 a couple of weeks ago. I fast skimmed through the posts to see what older folks are riding and was surprised to see mostly road bikes in the photos. I am thinking of switching from a road bike with a relaxed geometry to a hybrid or comfort bike for a more upright position. Everyone likes to go fast and long but for me long is more important than fast and by long, at this age I mean 10 to 20 miles a day 5 or 6 days a week, but not fast. I am wondering if many older folks are riding hybrids or comfort bikes for rides over a few miles. Is it too difficult to go 10+ miles on a more relaxed bike?
In 1997 I bought my Trek 1220 and rode that for twenty six years. it is nowhere near an upright ride but I was fitted for the bike by a professional at a bike shop so really didn't question whether there might be a more relaxed option. Of course in 1997 I was forty nine years old. Last July I decided to buy a new bike, something I should have done years ago. I purchased a Trek Domane AL 5. It is still a road bike but there are a few things that are different and immediately noticeable. The geometry is the first thing I noticed. Compared to the 1220, this frame almost forced e into a more upright position, with the distance from the handlebars to the seat considerably shorter. And believe me this is noticeable when I hop on the 1220 which is set on the trainer for indoor riding. In addition the tires are wider. They come with a 700 x 32 tire which has less pressure and a softer ride. On my first ride I noticed the smoother ride. Of course going from a 1997 to a 2023 bike there had to be differences, but still the AL 5 is very comfortable, and I can be comfortable semi upright with my hands on the hoods. My rides are usually between 18 and 25 so I haven't really done any long rides over thirty. But I don't think that should matter.
Old 04-12-24, 12:11 PM
Jtmav

Bikes: Trek Domane al5

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by pelirary
In 1997 I bought my Trek 1220 and rode that for twenty six years. it is nowhere near an upright ride but I was fitted for the bike by a professional at a bike shop so really didn't question whether there might be a more relaxed option. Of course in 1997 I was forty nine years old. Last July I decided to buy a new bike, something I should have done years ago. I purchased a Trek Domane AL 5. It is still a road bike but there are a few things that are different and immediately noticeable. The geometry is the first thing I noticed. Compared to the 1220, this frame almost forced e into a more upright position, with the distance from the handlebars to the seat considerably shorter. And believe me this is noticeable when I hop on the 1220 which is set on the trainer for indoor riding. In addition the tires are wider. They come with a 700 x 32 tire which has less pressure and a softer ride. On my first ride I noticed the smoother ride. Of course going from a 1997 to a 2023 bike there had to be differences, but still the AL 5 is very comfortable, and I can be comfortable semi upright with my hands on the hoods. My rides are usually between 18 and 25 so I haven't really done any long rides over thirty. But I don't think that should matter.
I bought the same exact bike 3 years ago and I’m 72 years old. Unlike you I am not a long term rider, I was a runner for many years and then when that became too difficult I started to row on an erg a few times a week. When COVID hit and everything went dark I pulled out an ancient hybrid I had in my shed and started riding on a bike path near my house on Cape Cod. I took a liking to it so I ordered the Trek had it fitted and I have been on it ever since. One caveat is 10 weeks ago I had surgery for a total knee replacement of my left knee and in 2 weeks I am having my right knee replaced as well, so much for running to stay fit. Obviously I haven’t been riding outside for awhile and won’t till summer I would think. Love the bike and ride about the same as you roughly 20-30 miles 2-3 times a week.
Likes For Jtmav:
Old 04-14-24, 11:24 AM
Charles Lathe

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 25 Posts
I am only 70. I let my bikes go one at a time until I only have my touring bicycle left. The reason for that is that it became the only bike I wanted to ride because it's the most comfortable. 26x2" inch tires and handlebars that are about level with the seat. Typically I ride 10 to 30 miles two or three times a week on rolling North Carolina roads. I average 10 or 11 miles per hour and I enjoy myself. I haven't ridden in a pace line in 14 years.

When I start out, I most often think, "It's too cold, or too windy, or too hot, or I'm out of breath already." But, by the time I get past the first hill, I always think, "I like riding my bicycle." I am blessed to have a bike that is comfortable.
Likes For Charles Lathe:
Old 04-15-24, 05:13 AM
MarylandUSA

Bikes: Brooklyn Bicycles Willow 3 (3-speed women's bike)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Lathe
I am only 70. I let my bikes go one at a time until I only have my touring bicycle left. The reason for that is that it became the only bike I wanted to ride because it's the most comfortable. 26x2" inch tires and handlebars that are about level with the seat. Typically I ride 10 to 30 miles two or three times a week on rolling North Carolina roads. I average 10 or 11 miles per hour and I enjoy myself. I haven't ridden in a pace line in 14 years.

When I start out, I most often think, "It's too cold, or too windy, or too hot, or I'm out of breath already." But, by the time I get past the first hill, I always think, "I like riding my bicycle." I am blessed to have a bike that is comfortable.
Thanks for sharing this, Charles. I'm 67; I won't retire for another 2 or 3 years. Like you, I own---and need---only one bike. Like your bike, mine lets me sit almost upright. Heck, mine has a big fat seat and only 3 gears! Reading the posts by "bike collectors," I've wondered, "What's wrong with me?" Now I know: Nothing.

Last edited by MarylandUSA; 04-15-24 at 05:18 AM.
Old 04-15-24, 07:16 AM
sbrudno

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Motobecane Super Mirage (3x5 speeds), Motobecane Mirage, Atala (unknown model), Peugeot mixte frame Tourist and Schwinn Sport. A bunch more kids bikes. Most recently a Trek Verve One, tricked up for serious touring.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 29 Posts
Like Popeye says: I am what I am.
Old 04-16-24, 10:34 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts

74 ... recovering from revision TKA (cement on femur prosthesis broke). Doc says can resume bike riding in 3 months. Current road bike only accommodates 23 on the rear. Thinking, would like 28s all-around.
Old 04-17-24, 06:45 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Hi. I don't think I've posted on this string before, but I am sixty-six years old. I haven't yet seen any necessity of making any modifications to my riding or bikes. My bikes are same basic configuration as they were when I began riding at twenty-three years old. I do sixty miles on sunday in the summer, and a couple other 20-40 milers on the summer week days. I basically take the winters (6 months) off, riding just utility to pick up groceries. My pace is unimportant on my road rides. Riding is really my way to get out and enjoy nature. Yoga, foam roller, salt baths and plenty of rest keep me limber.

May 29, 2022 on forty-miler
Old 04-17-24, 10:27 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
72. I'm still on road bikes with drop bars. Most of my miles, by far, are on roads not bike paths, and my roads have hills.

When I ride an upright bike or anything with flat bars it is only for a couple of miles or less; basically, goofing off miles.

Luckily for my body, I never worked at hard labor jobs.

edit: I would ride far less with only 1 bike. A dozen keeps it fresh, every ride.

Last edited by Wildwood; 04-17-24 at 12:53 PM.
Likes For Wildwood: