Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

DC Area Route Help: Wilson Bridge to Ft. Washington, MD

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-09, 11:37 AM
yoder
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Custom commuter made from Civia Prospect frame, Raleigh Sports (1971), custom road bike from a steel 2003 Fuji Marseille frame, 29er SS MTB built up from a Vassago Jabberwocky frame, Surly Long Haul Trucker (customzed for fully loaded touring)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am wondering if any of you from the DC area have ridden from Virginia across the Wilson bridge (now that it has a MUP), and then gone south to somewhere around Ft. Washington, MD. My mother lives there, and now that the Wilson bridge has a way across, it seems like I should be able to bike there from Arlington. I have crossed the Wilson bridge the other night just to check the path across the bridge, but then I turned around.

When I look on google maps, it seems like Oxon Hil Road is the most direct route, but I think that is a pretty big road. Does anyone ride on that road? There seems like there may be a way to cross from from "National Harbor Blvd" in the National Harbor area to "Clay Drive" in the bordering residential neighborhood. But, Google maps is way behind in this area; it's several years old for some reason, and still shows the bridge and National Harbor under construction, so I can't tell from that if there is a fence or something now blocking the way. If I could get to Clay Drive that way, I could avoid much of Oxon Hill Road. There also is a "Hensen Creek Trail" to the east that I could use for some of the way south, but it is out of the way, and only helps some of the way anyway.
Old 07-16-09, 08:42 AM
The Human Car
-=Barry=-

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you don't get a response here ask here: https://groups.yahoo.com/group/BikeWashingtonDC/
. . /L
=()>()
Old 05-14-13, 03:04 PM
permanentrecord

Bikes: Ridley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yoder
I am wondering if any of you from the DC area have ridden from Virginia across the Wilson bridge (now that it has a MUP), and then gone south to somewhere around Ft. Washington, MD. My mother lives there, and now that the Wilson bridge has a way across, it seems like I should be able to bike there from Arlington. I have crossed the Wilson bridge the other night just to check the path across the bridge, but then I turned around.

When I look on google maps, it seems like Oxon Hil Road is the most direct route, but I think that is a pretty big road. Does anyone ride on that road? There seems like there may be a way to cross from from "National Harbor Blvd" in the National Harbor area to "Clay Drive" in the bordering residential neighborhood. But, Google maps is way behind in this area; it's several years old for some reason, and still shows the bridge and National Harbor under construction, so I can't tell from that if there is a fence or something now blocking the way. If I could get to Clay Drive that way, I could avoid much of Oxon Hill Road. There also is a "Hensen Creek Trail" to the east that I could use for some of the way south, but it is out of the way, and only helps some of the way anyway.
Any update on this? Been wondering if it's a good (and safe) mid-afternoon ride for the weekend. Thanks
Old 05-16-13, 12:29 PM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been across the WB many times. Sometimes I go down the Mount Vernon Trail, sometimes I come down the MD side using MLK Jr Blvd and Oxon Hill Farm. As of about 6 weeks ago, the trails were all good.
Never been as far as Fort Washington, but I've been to the Henson Trailhead. Traffic on Oxon Hill road is not friendly to slow moving bikes. After a short distance I switched to Fort Foot Road. Looks like Livingston Road and Fort Washington Road will get you the rest of the way.

Here's a map https://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5933919

The Henson Trail might be a nice side trip. Starts where Fort Foote Road rejoins Oxon Hill Road.

Have Fun

PS I've checked out Clay Drive, but there is a big locked gate at the rear.

Last edited by cc_rider; 05-16-13 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-16-13, 01:06 PM
Consularrider

Bikes: Surly Pugsley, Jamis Renegade, Kona Rove, Salsa Pistola, Raleigh M60, Raleigh Sport Touring Team USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm supposed to do and exploratory ride on that route this Saturday. The ride leaded hasn't sent me the cue sheet/map yet, but I'll report back after the ride.
Old 05-16-13, 06:14 PM
permanentrecord

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Consularrider
I'm supposed to do and exploratory ride on that route this Saturday. The ride leaded hasn't sent me the cue sheet/map yet, but I'll report back after the ride.
Cool, I'm going to do that ride solo from Old Town Alexandria in the afternoon. I'll be the fast guy not knowing where he's going
Old 05-16-13, 06:15 PM
permanentrecord

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cc_rider
Been across the WB many times. Sometimes I go down the Mount Vernon Trail, sometimes I come down the MD side using MLK Jr Blvd and Oxon Hill Farm. As of about 6 weeks ago, the trails were all good.
Never been as far as Fort Washington, but I've been to the Henson Trailhead. Traffic on Oxon Hill road is not friendly to slow moving bikes. After a short distance I switched to Fort Foot Road. Looks like Livingston Road and Fort Washington Road will get you the rest of the way.

Here's a map https://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5933919

The Henson Trail might be a nice side trip. Starts where Fort Foote Road rejoins Oxon Hill Road.

Have Fun

PS I've checked out Clay Drive, but there is a big locked gate at the rear.
Thanks -- good info. I'll check it out on Saturday
Old 05-17-13, 12:24 PM
Consularrider

Bikes: Surly Pugsley, Jamis Renegade, Kona Rove, Salsa Pistola, Raleigh M60, Raleigh Sport Touring Team USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by permanentrecord
Cool, I'm going to do that ride solo from Old Town Alexandria in the afternoon. I'll be the fast guy not knowing where he's going
This is the route our fearless leader has proposed.