Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Do you take the lane in this situation? (Example pic included)

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Do you take the lane in this situation? (Example pic included)

Old 10-09-15, 07:41 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 225 Posts
Construction zone + cones = protected bike lane. Whoopieeeee!!!
Old 10-09-15, 07:49 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by YogaKat
You just want to weave through the traffic cones don't you?
Why not?
Old 10-09-15, 07:51 AM
YogaKat
Padawan

Bikes: Orbea Mitis Dama, Bridgestone Sirius, Cranbrook Cruiser, Cheap Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Why not?
I didn't say it didn't sound like fun.
Old 10-09-15, 09:14 AM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C).
Old 10-09-15, 10:21 AM
CdaleNike21

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take the lane.
Old 10-09-15, 10:36 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecrate
Construction zone + cones = protected bike lane. Whoopieeeee!!!
This. C) as long as I can see that the construction zone is clear, no one working in it, and the road still exists...

If the construction zone is actually impassible, no road, construction workers and equipment active in the construction zone, then I'd ride B) far right as practicable, maybe a couple feet to the left of the cones.
Old 10-09-15, 12:34 PM
mozad655

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would never take the lane. In my experience, taking the lane is always more dangerous than not. It provokes dangerous overtakes and dangerous driving. I only take up the minimal amount of space for my vehicle of choice, and let it be up to drivers to judge if they can get past me or not. Never had a problem.

When I take the lane though, drivers are slowed down because of my low speed. The obvious big space that I am taking makes them angry and annoyed. They become extremely impatient. None of this in itself matters to me. But what happens next does; as soon as there is the slightest opening, they race around me as close as possible to get back at me. So for safety reasons, I would not take the lane in this situation or any other for that matter.
Old 10-09-15, 08:29 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mozad655
I would never take the lane. In my experience, taking the lane is always more dangerous than not. It provokes dangerous overtakes and dangerous driving. I only take up the minimal amount of space for my vehicle of choice, and let it be up to drivers to judge if they can get past me or not. Never had a problem.

When I take the lane though, drivers are slowed down because of my low speed. The obvious big space that I am taking makes them angry and annoyed. They become extremely impatient. None of this in itself matters to me. But what happens next does; as soon as there is the slightest opening, they race around me as close as possible to get back at me. So for safety reasons, I would not take the lane in this situation or any other for that matter.
Hmmm....

Does this include them passing you on blind curves. Where you could become 'collateral damage', as a result?
Old 10-09-15, 08:50 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I'm also option C in most cases, as I find typical they block off much more area than needed for what they are actually doing. But if there isn't clear inside the cones, then of course you have to use the lane fully. But more often traffic is backed up and I am zooming inside the cones so have to be a little cool about merging into the lane since seeing a cyclist move faster than cars can be a trigger for some folks out there.

scott s.
Old 10-09-15, 09:01 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Take the lane to avoid any unnecessary swerving about further down the road, establish yourself as soon as possible.
Old 10-09-15, 10:38 PM
ciderguy

Bikes: GT Traffic 2.0 w/ Blackburn Rack

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A.
I always take the lane. You have to obey the cones, you are a vehicle and on the road. Where I live, it isn't legal to ride on the sidewalk. So, I just see it as an opportunity to educate confused motorists.
Old 10-10-15, 12:24 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
Hmmm....

Does this include them passing you on blind curves. Where you could become 'collateral damage', as a result?
Are you guys related to DreamRider?

Anything "could" happen with enough imagination. While there's a higher likelihood of encountering mozads imaginary motorist, the probability of an actual incident is just as remote as with your imaginary motorist.

There's no need for extreme actions such as entirely eschewing the lane for fear of angering someone, or aggressively taking over the lane in an attempt to make decisions for others.

Just use the lane like anyone else.
Old 10-10-15, 12:56 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Take the lane.
Old 10-10-15, 04:30 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kickstart
Are you guys related to DreamRider?

Anything "could" happen with enough imagination. While there's a higher likelihood of encountering mozads imaginary motorist, the probability of an actual incident is just as remote as with your imaginary motorist.

There's no need for extreme actions such as entirely eschewing the lane for fear of angering someone, or aggressively taking over the lane in an attempt to make decisions for others.

Just use the lane like anyone else.
Like anyone else? So, I guess you mean, eating the dust in the gutter. No thanks. I won't sacrifice the lane. For the sake of allowing an idiot motorist make a bad pass on account of, their not wanting to be behind a cyclist.
Old 10-10-15, 05:40 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
Take the construction lane.
Best to take the lane early instead of when you are forced to. Although the construction lane looks clear in the pic, you'd probably reach a point where it is not.
Old 10-10-15, 06:14 AM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
implied that the OP should have been on the sidewalk, even before the construction zone.
The op can do as he pleases. Looks like a long empty sidewalk to me. I would have been on it since before the construction zone.
Old 10-10-15, 07:01 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Depends on the situation, but I generally lean toward option C. The cone zone usually starts a hundred yards or more before they're actually working on anything, so I stay on the right side of the cones (hey, free lane!) until I get to the actual work, pop out for a moment, then dip back into the free lane. I'd definitely be to the right of the cones in that pic, there's a Prius right there in the near lane! Watch out extra for the Prius-- they sure as hell aren't looking out for you.
This
Old 10-10-15, 09:49 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Like anyone else? So, I guess you mean, eating the dust in the gutter. .
No, just use the lane like any other vehicle rather than "extreme actions such as entirely eschewing the lane for fear of angering someone, or aggressively taking over the lane in an attempt to make decisions for others".

Think about it.
Old 10-10-15, 01:01 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No, just use the lane like any other vehicle rather than "extreme actions such as entirely eschewing the lane for fear of angering someone, or aggressively taking over the lane in an attempt to make decisions for others".

Think about it.
I don't have a fear of angering a motorist. I could care less about their anger. I challenge you to define 'extreme' in this case. Because, What is extreme to you. Is a safety maneuver on my part.
Old 10-10-15, 01:48 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd stay in the right lane until I got to the 2nd cone then turn back to check traffic and signal that I was moving over. Then I'd take the lane but would ride as fast as I could until I passed the work then move to the right side of the cones if possible.
Old 10-10-15, 09:21 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I don't have a fear of angering a motorist. I could care less about their anger. I challenge you to define 'extreme' in this case. Because, What is extreme to you. Is a safety maneuver on my part.
By your many, many accounts, you take the lane in an aggressive manner to control what motorists do because you fear the possible unknown.
Mozad says he won't use the lane at all because he's afraid of the possibility of an aggressive pass.

My point is you and mozad represent the two extremes of a whole range of choices, all with potential benefits and liabilities.
As none of us are familiar with the location, or the OPs abilities, we can't say for certain what the best answer is, and its irresponsible to suggest such uncompromising extremes are unassailable solutions.
Old 10-10-15, 11:54 PM
Astrozombie

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
C. If it's open and nothing serious is going on. Do the same with "Bus only" lanes.
Old 10-11-15, 05:20 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
By your many, many accounts, you take the lane in an aggressive manner to control what motorists do because you fear the possible unknown.
Mozad says he won't use the lane at all because he's afraid of the possibility of an aggressive pass.

My point is you and mozad represent the two extremes of a whole range of choices, all with potential benefits and liabilities.
As none of us are familiar with the location, or the OPs abilities, we can't say for certain what the best answer is, and its irresponsible to suggest such uncompromising extremes are unassailable solutions.
Ignorant motorists', who could care less about a cyclists' well-being, when passing them. Is only the first part of it. The second part, is actually in deference to the motorist. By my taking the lane, a motorist doesn't have to take their eyes off the road, when passing me. The motorist would also have to pass a cyclist, just like any motorized vehicle. By getting in the passing/oncoming lane.

My only deference to the OP's situation. Prior to even posing the question, is the changing of lanes. That is aided by the visible construction cones. The only aid apart from an on-street marking. When I was almost hit last year in a local merge lane. Is a sign saying the merge lane ends.
Old 10-11-15, 04:16 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
The motorist would also have to pass a cyclist, just like any motorized vehicle. By getting in the passing/oncoming lane.
And that's what you don't seem to understand, a bicycle isn't "just like any motorized vehicle" therefore has more options, and doesn't need to act or be treated just like one all the time.

One may use the lane as a cyclist rather than always taking it over entirely as if they are a motorist with equal or better results depending on conditions.
When are you going to understand all choices come with benefits and risks, and quit trying to con others into believing you have it all figured out, and that there's one best way to approach all circumstances?
Old 10-11-15, 11:38 PM
CompleteStreets

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take the lane.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.