Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Manufacturer, Retailer, Survey and Consumer Feedback
Reload this Page >

Design for Cycle Safety: Increasing the awareness between motorists and Cyclists

Search
Notices
Manufacturer, Retailer, Survey and Consumer Feedback As a manufacturer or retailer, do you want opinions and feedback on your products or services? Members, do you have an open letter to publish? Here's a place for both sides of the industry to communicate. Also, surveys and Student Data Colllection projects go in here.

Design for Cycle Safety: Increasing the awareness between motorists and Cyclists

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-15, 06:19 AM
andrew.gratton

Bikes: Hybrid and Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am a University student studying Product Design and for my final year project I have decided to develop a product which will increase the awareness between motorists and cyclists, reducing accidents caused from such whilst increasing cycling's popularity

Please can people share their experiences relating to accidents involved with motorists.

1. Have you ever been involved in an accident, if so what was the reason for the accident?
2. Where did the accident happen? junction? city centre? ...
4. Do you feel safe when out on the road?
5. Where and when do you feel the least safe?
6. Do you think that cycle safety equipment does enough to protect cyclists from the dangers of the road?
7. Do you think that a product which increases motorist awareness of cyclists would be beneficial?

Thank-you,

Andrew Gratton
Old 10-15-15, 07:21 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Guessing your in the UK?

If so, first problem with the question is the wording.

The use of the word accident is implying that it was not preventable, Incident the preferred term, indicating that it was unplanned, but not unable to prevent.
Old 10-15-15, 08:06 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
1. I have not been involved in any collision on my bicycle. There have been a few near-misses involving cars, other cyclists and pedestrians. They seem to be due mostly to three factors: inattentiveness on the part of drivers , cyclists and pedestrians, as well as my own distraction and the stealthiness and near invisibility of other cars, bikes and pedestrians; disregard for posted signage and for traffic laws; and intentional vehicular threats such as close passes, dodging and attempted ramming.
2. These near misses mostly took place by intersections of residential streets within the city where I live since I primarily ride to commute.
4. I feel very safe on the road. I use a eyeglass mounted mirror as well as a handlebar mounted mirror. I wear hi-visability, and reflective clothing along with addidtional reflective devices on my helmet and bicycle. I use flashing lights on both my bicycle and helmet for 360-degree "be-seen" visibility and I use a bright handlebar mounted headlight at night and when weather conditions warrant extra visibility. And I use an AirZound airhorn that I top off before each commute. This allows me to get the attention of most drivers. I have been bike commuting seriously for almost 25 years and have developed strategies and attitudes that I feel further enhance my safety such as risk-aversion, patience and making sure I always have an out for when the unexpected happens, which you have to consider.
5. I feel the least safe on roads and streets with no or inadequate shoulders which give me fewer options for an out in an emergency.
6. Cycle safety equipment is only as good as the idiot using it. You can have all the aforementioned safety equipment, but still be in jeopardy if you ride with the feeling of invincibility, cocoon yourself with fully-enclosed headphones, and take chances or push your luck.
7. Yes, making motorist aware of cyclists is a good thing.
Old 10-15-15, 11:35 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
1. Yes, many years ago; my fault for attempting to turn left from a busy parking lot onto a busy four lane road, directly in front of a driver w/her right turn signal on (I was young and stupid and assumed she was headed for the busy intersection past the busy parking lot).

2. See above. Then-rural Tracy, Ca. Forget the street names.

4. Safe? More or less; I ride safely, but I don't assume the car drivers/motorcyclists/pedestrians will.

5. Riding through the middle of Eureka, which is also highway 101; it's super busy, and there are places where the shoulder is nearly 6" wide.

6. There's only so much safety equipment can do. Case in point; some years ago a noted local bicycle commuter was riding to work; he was on the far side of a wide shoulder, wearing all the equipment, lit up like a Christmas tree, and a driver managed to get distracted long enough to cross two lanes of traffic and the shoulder to run into and kill the only obstacle on the road. On the other hand, it's how we got rumble strips.

7. Yes. I would also say 'obviously', but when queried about why no roads in Humboldt had rumble strips, CalTrans said, 'You didn't ask.' So nothing is obvious.

Last edited by Korina; 10-16-15 at 04:15 PM. Reason: More detail
Old 10-15-15, 09:37 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by andrew.gratton
I am a University student studying Product Design and for my final year project I have decided to develop a product which will increase the awareness between motorists and cyclists, reducing accidents caused from such whilst increasing cycling's popularity

Please can people share their experiences relating to accidents involved with motorists.

1. Have you ever been involved in an accident, if so what was the reason for the accident?
6. Do you think that cycle safety equipment does enough to protect cyclists from the dangers of the road?
7. Do you think that a product which increases motorist awareness of cyclists would be beneficial?

Thank-you,

Andrew Gratton
Originally Posted by jimc101
Guessing your in the UK?

If so, first problem with the question is the wording.

The use of the word accident is implying that it was not preventable, Incident the preferred term, indicating that it was unplanned, but not unable to prevent.
1. Yes. #1 : The old lady wasn't paying attention; #2 : The driver drifted to the right, knocking me off the road; #3 : Same as #2 ; #4 : Hit when I pulled out from behind a stopped car at a 4-way intersection during PM-Rush that was a traffic jam. I got hit by cross traffic: Missed seeing a pothole, and got free airlines, only good for about five feet.

2. #1 : (1981)Corner of Foxhall Rd & Q St. in NW DC; #2 : 2007)Corner of E. Diamond Ave. & Summit Ave. in Olde Towne Gaithersburg(MD); #3 : (2010) Southbound on Wisc. Ave. in DC. When I didn't see one of DC's infamous potholes and went over the handlebars: (2013)Southbound lanes of Rt. 355 just past a volunteer firehouse in Rockville(MD)

3. Yes, I feel safe one the road.

4. I feel the least safe, being on a bike/ped path.

5. I don't feel present safety equipment does enout to protect cyclists' from the the dangers of the road.

6. The only thing that would be 100% respect and acknowledgement on the road.

Yes, Jim. Andrew is in the town of Derby in England. The only Derby, in the U.S., is in New Hampshire.
Old 10-15-15, 10:38 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
1. When I was a kid I rode into the side of a vehicle because I wasn't looking where I was going.
2. Gas station parking lot.
4. No, but I'm confident that its not dangerous.
5. I'm most threatened by complacency, and make an effort to guard against it.
6. If safety equipment protects a cyclist they are the danger, safety equipment only supplements what one does to be safe.
7. Maybe yes, maybe no, because as a cyclist I have no idea who may be benefiting from it, and who isn't.
Old 10-16-15, 06:37 AM
digger

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 132 Posts

I've had the odd altercation with motorists over the 27 years but never collided with one or had one hit me.

NA, based on statement above.

Nope. But not so much fear of inattentive driving, I think my skill-sets and experience will largely mitigate that. I am quite scared of someone hitting me on purpose. All it takes is a flash of motorist rage and it's all over for me.

Home in bed. :-) Its difficult to decide. In urban areas I can pretty much keep up with traffic and I FEEL safer, but in rural areas the speeds are higher and fewer witnesses and more red-necks. I guess rural areas I FEEL lest safe.

I think that a helmet will do a good job of protecting me or mitigating injury from a fall. Gloves help prevent road rash in event of a fall. But if struck by a MV at speed, then no, protective equipment will do little.

Motorists will have to be forced/mandated to use/read/apply it. Or it is a passive product that they do not have to interact with or initiate and just happens on its own. Otherwise they won't. You do realize that people are collossaly lazy?

I'm in Nova Scotia Canada by the way.

Thank-you,

Andrew Gratton

Old 10-16-15, 08:06 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,477 Times in 3,223 Posts
Originally Posted by digger