Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclist Bangs on Off-Duty Cop's SUV....

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-15, 05:54 PM
john4789

Bikes: Surly Steamroller FG, Trek 800 SS MTB, Omega Tandem Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Then this happened:

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2015...ets-handcuffed
Old 10-16-15, 06:01 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
F'n cops... I would have rode away from his arse.... see ya... catch me fat boy
Old 10-16-15, 09:24 PM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
"Since there is no damage to the car we'll do you a deal. We won't push for a careless/dangerous driving charge against this off duty officer (by the way, here is a list of witnesses) if you drop the charges against my client, the cyclist. Sound fair?"
Old 10-16-15, 09:36 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
It sounds like somebody didn't like having his poor driving pointed out to him. I hope the victim pursues his case against the officer and his department. We need cops who obey the law, not cops who abuse their position to harass law-abiding citizens.
Old 10-16-15, 09:50 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spdntrxi
F'n cops... I would have rode away from his arse.... see ya... catch me fat boy
It is situations like this. That makes me glad I asked my parents' for, and was presented with, a GoPro Hero 4 Silver. For my birthday back in May.

While I understand why he hit the (off-duty)officer's vehicle. At the same time that could be considered 'assault on a police officer'.

Still, I hope the officer is held accountable.

Another thought does come to mind. If the officer was really off-duty. Then why did he have a pair of handcuffs on his person. Because, Police officers don't keep their gunbelt on that has their handcuffs(uniformed-only), or keep their handcuffs(plainclothes) on their person. When they are off-duty. They have to turn that in before they leave the station.

Some departments are allowing officers to take their cruiser/plain brown wrapper, home. The county police here allow that.
Old 10-16-15, 09:56 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyHK
"Since there is no damage to the car we'll do you a deal. We won't push for a careless/dangerous driving charge against this off duty officer (by the way, here is a list of witnesses) if you drop the charges against my client, the cyclist. Sound fair?"
Sorry, not fair at all. If this were simply a shouting match, then we might argue that each gave as good as he got. But this is an armed police officer, and it's critical that he knows the limits of his authority, and can keep a cool head if aggravated or flustered. This is why we nee to hold them to a higher standard relating to nonsense like this. Cops who abuse their badge, or who can't control their tempers are no good to anybody, least of all to the force that employs them.

That said, I wasn't there, and don't know the extent of the give and take (if any) and whether any of it rose to the level where "disorderly conduct" might apply. Certainly, hard hand thumps against a vehicle, when/where one's life might be threatened doesn't.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-16-15, 10:01 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
I have banged on moving cars before to get inattentive drivers' attention. Will continue to do so if it keeps me from getting run over....I can deal with an angry individual, but cannot deal with a ton of automobile on my back
Old 10-16-15, 10:06 PM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Sorry, not fair at all. If this were simply a shouting match, then we might argue that each gave as good as he got. But this is an armed police officer, and it's critical that he knows the limits of his authority, and can keep a cool head if aggravated or flustered. This is why we nee to hold them to a higher standard relating to nonsense like this. Cops who abuse their badge, or who can't control their tempers are no good to anybody, least of all to the force that employs them.

That said, I wasn't there, and don't know the extent of the give and take (if any) and whether any of it rose to the level where "disorderly conduct" might apply. Certainly, hard hand thumps against a vehicle, when/where one's life might be threatened doesn't.
Given how the 'system' works it would be a good result. We all know cops are rarely held accountable to the same standards if at all.

Hitting a vehicle quite easily falls into many categories: disorderly conduct could apply as could criminal damage (no damage technically necessary in some places) or my favourite AUS charge of "interfering with a motor vehicle".

However, hitting a car could easily be seen as 'justified' in your defence if the car was driving dangerously and it was your only method to hand (so to speak!) to attract the attention of the driver (bikes don't have horns).

A half decent lawyer would beat this BS charge if it goes to court. Too many witnesses who will say the SUV was driving like an A-hole.
Old 10-16-15, 10:30 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
It is situations like this. That makes me glad I asked my parents' for, and was presented with, a GoPro Hero 4 Silver. For my birthday back in May.
Its situations like this that make me glad I don't have one.

I'm not easy to provoke, and tend to be more forgiving than most, but I have a temper, and don't hold back when pushed too far or unjustly. Its better that I focus on the possible consequences, rather than providing myself evidence of justification.
Old 10-16-15, 11:11 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kickstart
Its situations like this that make me glad I don't have one.

I'm not easy to provoke, and tend to be more forgiving than most, but I have a temper, and don't hold back when pushed too far or unjustly. Its better that I focus on the possible consequences, rather than providing myself evidence of justification.
While I get the evidence. I don't react 'in the moment'. Except for the occasional WHAT!!!!. I don't have the time, on the road. For a long drawn out discussion about the driver's errant, ignorant ways.
Old 10-16-15, 11:38 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Was the driver of the SUV observing the 3 foot or 4 foot law or whatever the local law is for a safe passing distance? It is pretty hard to bang on someone's vehicle if it is over 4 feet away. Unless the bike swerved towards the vehicle just to knock on the window.

As long as they don't run over me, I don't worry too much about other people's driving.

I did, however, knock on an old lady's window a week ago. Her trunk was open. I pointed to the back of her car... she motioned to me to close it (which I did) and then she waved a thank you.
Old 10-17-15, 12:01 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
So what did we learn here? That it is currently trendy to hate the police? And that the most trendy bigotry is that against all who wear blue? Apparently so.

Pounding on the cars that frighten you may seem cool. But no one has the right to pound on someone else's car/SUV. Being scared is a normal human reaction... but it does not entitle anyone to react violently. The hotshot lawyer knew better then to pound on someone's car. He has no excuse. I am sure the cop would have rather handcuffed some one other than a lawyer for such a pissy offense. Stupid actions are always lose, lose.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 10-17-15 at 07:39 AM.
Old 10-17-15, 12:20 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,683 Times in 4,078 Posts
If you don't want your car to get slapped, don't swerve into the bike lane.

Cop or not, makes no difference. Well, you'd think a cop could maintain his lane, the police around here have track days at PIR.
Old 10-17-15, 12:30 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
We used to semi-jokingly talk of mounting spokes on our bikes sticking out to the left to scratch the paint of motorists who pass too close. Recently I have had a number pass within 12". Now, if I get some spoke-like 14 ga wire that extends say 15" past my body and a passing motorist scraped his paint on it, can he argue I was willfully damaging property? In Oregon, one must pass a bicycle "safely". I would ask my attorney if I could counter-sue for endangerment AND reimbursement for my costs of his suit. (I would do this so if I can report his license #, I can also say "you will find a scratch from this encounter X" above the road. Take a photo showing that wire with tape measures showing the height off the road and distance out from my body. That "safely" part of Oregon law would be pretty hard to argue against.

Ben
Old 10-17-15, 12:37 AM
Chief

Bikes: SR, Bianchi, Raleigh, Bertin, Kona, Schwinn, Eisentraut, Zunow, Columbine, Naked, Nishiki, Phillips, Specialized, Giant

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
America's biggest street gang....
Old 10-17-15, 01:39 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
So what did we learn here? That it is currently trendy to hate the police? And that the most trendy bigotry is that against all who wear blue? Apparently so.

Pounding on the cars that frighten you may seem cool. But no one has the right to pound on someone else's car/SUV. Being scared is a normal human reaction... but it does not entitle anyone to react violently. The hotshot lawyer knew better that to pound on someone's car. He has no excuse. I am sure the cop would have rather handcuffed some one other than a lawyer for such a pissy offense. Stupid actions are always lose, lose.
Yeah, because you should just let people swerve into your safety zone with a 2 tonne weapon... what would you suggest then to get the attention of a driver who is driving dangerously? A howdy hoo' and a polite "excuse me, but you are trying to kill me". The violence in this situation is the driver threatening a cyclist with a deadly weapon, not a fist against steel and glass.

What the bet the a$$ hat policeman will be shown to have been texting or jerking around with their mobile, and having crapped their dacks when the window got pounded on, didn't do the sensible thing and slink off, but went I'm a pleesman I can do anyfink I want.
Old 10-17-15, 04:05 AM
skye

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The only thing we learned from this post is that you're a troll, and a crappy one at that.
Old 10-17-15, 04:27 AM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I see it as the perfect storm. Both probably used to using there status in the legal system to their advantage but this time they came up against someone also who felt entitled. I doubt either would have handled the situation like they did had the other known who they were dealing with, also doubt it's this first time either acted this way. Yes, this requires some speculation on my part but what are the odds that the first time the cycle got aggressive was with the first time the off duty cop paid no attention to his driving?
Old 10-17-15, 05:26 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts

Pounding on the cars that frighten you may seem cool. But no one has the right to pound on someone else's car/SUV. Being scared is a normal human reaction... but it does not entitle anyone to react violently. The hotshot lawyer knew better that to pound on someone's car. He has no excuse. I am sure the cop would have rather handcuffed some one other than a lawyer for such a pissy offense. Stupid actions are always lose, lose.
This from the guy who threatens to kick someones azz who flips him off...talk about stupid.
Old 10-17-15, 05:52 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
I've rapped a few doors and hoods before when vehicles encroached into my space. Seemed like the thing to do at the time but I can't say that it really did anything other then allow me to relieve some ire. Policeman definitely seemed to lose his cool, and likely could have handled this differently. It will be interesting to see how this case evolves.
Old 10-17-15, 07:01 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
I have a hunch those charges will get dropped. I hope the bicyclist pursues a formal complaint against the officer. Having witnesses helps. As far as banging on vehicles goes, I have never done it and generally consider it a bad idea. I am not saying I won't, but if I am that concerned for my safety, I am going to invest my efforts in avoiding collision.
Old 10-17-15, 07:26 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Originally Posted by Trevtassie
...... what would you suggest then to get the attention of a driver who is driving dangerously? .......the driver threatening a cyclist with a deadly weapon,
What the bet the a$$ hat policeman will be shown to have been texting or jerking around with their mobile, and having crapped their dacks when the window got pounded on, didn't do the sensible thing and slink off, but went I'm a pleesman I can do anyfink I want.
Wow! You must have been there and seen first hand the total carnage of the severely injured cyclist huh?!?!? Wait... there was NO injury you say? Just a lawyer bad mouthing those that serve?!?! Your post is a shining example of the new trendy hatred for our police.
Old 10-17-15, 07:32 AM
Dave Cutter

Originally Posted by skye
The only thing we learned from this post is that you're a troll, and a crappy one at that.
Interesting. I doubt you learned anything from this or any of these posts. You operate on you feelings. You "feel" the cops are bad people... cause you're told to feel that way by your peers. You haven't lived enough to know better... and learning... well that would require you make an effort wouldn't it.
Old 10-17-15, 07:36 AM
Dave Cutter

Originally Posted by 02Giant
This from the guy who threatens to kick someones azz who flips him off...talk about stupid.

I don't recalled threating anyone
(recently). I think you've got your posters mixed up (...talk about stupid). In parts of the world gestures (and things like car slapping) can be considered invites to violence. A lot of times the naïve, or very young, don't realize this.

However I am a veteran.... and have served my country in uniform. So I guess you could say I've worked as a hired killer. You could say that... if you're asshat... or a lawyer.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 10-17-15 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-17-15, 07:49 AM
Dave Cutter

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
....... As far as banging on vehicles goes, I have never done it and generally consider it a bad idea.
Pounding on (and sometime denting) cars is malicious, childish, and against the law. Bad idea? Yeah.

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I am not saying I won't, but if I am that concerned for my safety, I am going to invest my efforts in avoiding collision.
I'd defend my life... by whatever mean necessary. And I expect others to do the same. But it's just childish silliness to pretend that anyone thinks for a minute that the guys life was in danger. Most car slapping is just childish street bad behavior.... and nothing more. The idiot managed to slap the wrong car was all.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 10-17-15 at 07:54 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.