Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclist Bangs on Off-Duty Cop's SUV....

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cyclist Bangs on Off-Duty Cop's SUV....

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-15, 05:22 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
The subject cop didn't exercise the temperament, morality, judgment or restraint I expect of paid peace officers. If someone in my charge behaved similarly I'd take serious disciplinary action. If the accounts of the cyclists and witnesses are accurate, that cop is a bully with a badge, not a peace officer.

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 10-18-15 at 06:52 AM.
Old 10-17-15, 05:47 PM
Ball Bearing

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
many of us who do not live in the USA look at what's happening and shake our heads in disbelief. The police have armored tanks and other military hardware and they routinely use SWAT squads to serve simple warrants.

How would the cyclist be able to slap the SUV if it was not really close? I suppose the police apologists will claim that the cyclist must have swerved into traffic and maliciously tried to damage the vehicle of an innocent, law-abiding citizen. Why would he do that?

The way the cop's car is parked across traffic shows that he was not too concerned about driving responsibly.
Old 10-17-15, 06:11 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ball Bearing
many of us who do not live in the USA look at what's happening and shake our heads in disbelief. The police have armored tanks and other military hardware and they routinely use SWAT squads to serve simple warrants.
I guess we're trying to catch up with Europe where cops routinely carry machine guns, spring loaded billy clubs, and use commandos to serve warrants.
Old 10-17-15, 07:03 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
I also see police with all sorts of nonsense toys in the metro NYC burbs. I haven't decided yet if it's because they watch too much TV and believe that's the real world, of if it's the result of Federal financing assistance.

We don't have much by way of federal subsidies for normal local policing (which is as it should be). But since 9/11, or maybe even before, we a have all sorts of grants for special needs. That means there's tons of dough for the asking, but only if you buy a mobile command post, set up a bomb squad, equip a special anti-terrosim unit, or the like. Once they have these goodies they have to find a use, but the system bypasses the normal critical thinking, whereby dollars are tight and most local governments won't part with them easily.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-17-15, 07:48 PM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am quite amused by all the obvious anti police people in this thread who are throwing the term 'witness' around.
I read the article and i did not see one mention of any official witnesses that gave official statements to the police.
However, i did see mention of other cyclists supposedly making witness statements on a cyclist blog.
There's no chance that could be biased lol.
Old 10-17-15, 08:05 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,684 Times in 4,078 Posts
Originally Posted by bakes1
I am quite amused by all the obvious anti police people in this thread who are throwing the term 'witness' around.
I read the article and i did not see one mention of any official witnesses that gave official statements to the police.
However, i did see mention of other cyclists supposedly making witness statements on a cyclist blog.
There's no chance that could be biased lol.
There has been some discussion on chainlink.org on whether the woman mentioned in this passage will have her account recorded by police so that she will become an official Witness, with a capital "W".

A witness showed up who said she saw the cop weaving as he drove and asked if she should stay to give her information the cop told her that he did not need her information and she could (/should) go. The cyclist said he did need her information and she should stay. This was a red flag that caused me to stick around. I got her number on two of my business cards and tried to give the cyclist one. The officer told me I could not give someone who was under arrest anything, I said its just a business card. He took the business card from me. I told the cyclist I would post something to thechainlink.org so he can locate me if he doesn't still have her info. in the hopes of making this searchable I'm putting his name in the Tags, but I do not know if I have the spelling correct.
Old 10-17-15, 08:08 PM
randomgear

Bikes: '89 Specialized Hardrock Fixed Gear Commuter; 1984? Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Umm, did the cops even bother to ask any bystanders what happened in a simple arrest by an upstanding member of the union.

I think not.
Old 10-18-15, 01:11 AM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Like I said.
No witnesses mentioned in the story who actually gave a statement to the police.
That equals zero witnesses so far in case anyone wants to stick to the facts.
A bike blog is chatting about the possibility of what again lol?
Rebel without a clue

Last edited by bakes1; 10-18-15 at 01:15 AM.
Old 10-18-15, 03:15 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
The subject cop didn't exercise the temperament, morality, judgment or restraint I expect of paid peace officers. If someone in my charged behaved similarly I'd take serious disciplinary action. If the accounts of the cyclists and witnesses are accurate, that cop is a bully with a badge, not a peace officer.
Regardless of the off-duty officer's temperament, morality, judgment, or restraint. Off-duty officers' don't carry a pair of handcuffs. Which makes me wonder if the 'said' officer. Was actually an officer in the first place.

Genuine officer, or not. I definitely agree that the officer was being a bully.
Old 10-18-15, 06:08 AM
Owlex

Bikes: Not As Many As I'd Like

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
We need cops who obey the law, not cops who abuse their position to harass law-abiding citizens.

lol! no such thing

And, taxpayers don't seem to be jumping at the bit to force police officers to wear bodycams, so now we have a nasty rogue cyclist's word versus the word of a "peace officer" in court.

I can flip a coin and get a more fair judgement than the cyclist will get in this scenario.
Old 10-18-15, 06:56 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Like I said.
No witnesses mentioned in the story who actually gave a statement to the police.
Rebel without a clue
I can think of no reason that someone who witnessed the incident might approach giving an official statement with a bit of trepidation.
Old 10-18-15, 07:04 AM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
Like I said.
Rebel without a clue
The cyclist will eventually catch up with these people and they'll either submit statements to the police (and thus become witnesses) or they'll appear for the defence at the trial. Either way the cop will have to face it.
Old 10-18-15, 07:34 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by spdntrxi
haha, screw you grammar and spelling police too...
I guess we'll just have to add resisting arrest to the charges.
Old 10-18-15, 08:28 AM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
I guess we'll just have to add resisting arrest to the charges.
that one was on porpoise
Old 10-18-15, 11:23 AM
jeichelberg87

Bikes: 2013 Raleigh Revenio 2015 Giant AnyRoad (stolen)2016 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
It is situations like this. That makes me glad I asked my parents' for, and was presented with, a GoPro Hero 4 Silver. For my birthday back in May.

While I understand why he hit the (off-duty)officer's vehicle. At the same time that could be considered 'assault on a police officer'.

Still, I hope the officer is held accountable.

Another thought does come to mind. If the officer was really off-duty. Then why did he have a pair of handcuffs on his person. Because, Police officers don't keep their gunbelt on that has their handcuffs(uniformed-only), or keep their handcuffs(plainclothes) on their person. When they are off-duty. They have to turn that in before they leave the station.

Some departments are allowing officers to take their cruiser/plain brown wrapper, home. The county police here allow that.
Who told you this bunch of malarkey?
Old 10-18-15, 11:36 AM
jeichelberg87

Bikes: 2013 Raleigh Revenio 2015 Giant AnyRoad (stolen)2016 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe this incident is just one in a many type of poor interactions between police and the general public, having found their genesis in the time span of the 60's when the politicians found it somehow expedient to remove our police from WALKING BEATS and placing them behind the wheel of vehicles and a set of mirrored Ray Bans. No one knows police and therefore there is no respect. Where there is no respect, there is no decency. Where there is no decency, the crime rate will rise.

Take the police out of the vehicles and put them on a bicycle patrol or walking patrol. The crime rates will go down and hanging out at station 2 will decrease.

Last edited by jeichelberg87; 10-18-15 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-18-15, 11:36 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Most of us, aren't blaming the police in any general sense, just this one cop who overreached.
Nice to know that you are so confident in your own psychic powers as to KNOW that it is the cop, and NOT the reporter or the lawyer at fault. I once knew a young lady that was equally assured of her psychic powers.... but I never felt she was completely sane.
Old 10-18-15, 11:45 AM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
Nice to know that you are so confident in your own psychic powers as to KNOW that it is the cop, and NOT the reporter or the lawyer at fault. I once knew a young lady that was equally assured of her psychic powers.... but I never felt she was completely sane.
I thought you were "OUT OF THIS" ????
Old 10-18-15, 11:58 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dksix
I thought you were "OUT OF THIS" ????
I am. But I will respond to personal attacks and insults (even from my stalker fan... you). Which is what this thread has become. You seem to even be afraid of others posts too... huh.
Old 10-18-15, 12:02 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I am. But I will respond to personal attacks and insults (even from my stalker fan... you). Which is what this thread has become. You seem to even be afraid of others posts too... huh.
Just pointing out your word is meaningless, you say one thing but do another.
Old 10-19-15, 08:45 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
I don't have or claim to have psychic powers. I respond to the facts ---- AS REPORTED ---- since those are the only ones we have. I know this is only one side of the story, and if you scroll back to my original post, you'll see that I acknowledged that.

But basing a post on the limited or possibly inaccurate information doesn't require the assumption of facts not presented, and as limited as it is, it's better than relying on imputed fiction to base a post on.

FACTS (even limited or unreliable ones) trump FICTION and wild guesses. Also, life isn't a digital zero sum game. Error isn't black and white, and saying that one party was wrong, doesn't imply he was totally wrong, nor does it imply that the other party wasn't also wrong to a degree.

That cuts two ways. IMO - the cyclist was a jerk, but being a jerk doesn't warrant an arrest, and the issue I posted to was the disproportionate reaction of the officer (based on the facts as reported. Nor does saying an officer was wrong in a particular instance imply anything generally about police officers, or even how this one may be on an everyday basis. YOU are the only one making broad brush statements in response to a number of relatively level head posts. Yes, there were some posts that seemed to reflect "cop hater" mentality, but I don't speak for or to those.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-19-15, 09:29 AM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For those familiar with Chicago, this story is one you just shrug your shoulders at and say, yeah that's Chicago cops. Illinois is corrupt top to bottom and Chicago especially so. Chicago cops have been used to operating with virtual impunity for decades. They had all-but-official policies of torturing suspects for much of this. Illinois had the strictest laws and enforcement against filming police in the nation until the IL Supreme Court struck them down, for the very reason of trying to evade accountability. I've had friends who worked in emergency rooms who witnessed police coming to fetch "one of their own" who was drunk driving and crashed to avoid punishment. I think one of the differences with other cities is that the culture goes deep into the police department, the prosecutors, the judges, everyone is in on it, because it's part of the overall corruption.

Anyone with any sense treats cops like a wild tiger. Powerful, dangerous if provoked, potentially very irrational. This article sums up well what it's like to cross Chicago cops: Our Three-Year Struggle to Get Chicago to Admit We Were Beaten by the Police | VICE | United States. And this is more like what day-to-day abuse from Chicago cops looks like: Chicago Police Found Guilty of Covering Up Bartender Beating - ABC News
Old 10-19-15, 07:08 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jeichelberg87
Who told you this bunch of malarkey?
Malarkey you say. Have you ever seen a uniformed officer come to a department/precinct, in their uniform and police cruiser? That had not started their 'shift'? But was already in their police uniform when they got to the station? I certainly haven't. I have seen plenty of uniformed officers', allowed to take their police cruiser to their home. But none in their uniform off-shift. There is even one officer for a local city police department who takes his/her squad car to their home. I haven't followed them. Their apartment/condo is within feet of a 7Eleven and it is obvious the way I have seen them park on multiple occasions. That they are not there(repeatedly) for a domestic call or crime scene after crime scene.

Last edited by Chris516; 10-19-15 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-19-15, 07:56 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
Have you ever seen a uniformed officer come to a department/precinct, in their uniform and police cruiser? That had not started their 'shift'? But was already in their police uniform when they got to the station? I certainly haven't.
Yes, as a rule rather than an exception.
Old 10-19-15, 08:05 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
These days, the guy should probably just consider himself lucky the cop didn't shoot him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.