Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

New 'in vehicle info system' distraction study

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-15, 03:57 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts

https://newsroom.aaa.com/wp-content/u...rch-Report.pdf

Simplistic Summary: Voice activation/use of IVIS is distracting and has residual distraction effect up to nearly 30sec after use ends.
Old 10-22-15, 06:44 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noisebeam
https://newsroom.aaa.com/wp-content/u...rch-Report.pdf

Simplistic Summary: Voice activation/use of IVIS is distracting and has residual distraction effect up to nearly 30sec after use ends.
The more 'garbage' the auto-makers put in their 'vehicles'. The more that a vehicle(even commercial trucks) will operate like airplanes. Even with something similar to TCAS(Total Collision Avoidance System), the 'operator' needs to stay focused. Except in passenger/freight airplanes'(not always the case in twin/single-engine 'Cessna'-type planes). There is rule in the FAA now, called CRM(Cockpit Resource Management). That the pilots have to concentrate on specific tasks i.e. while the captain flies the plane, the co-pilot/first officer keeps eye on the altimeter, and the engineer keeps an eye on the fuel gauges. But, That doesn't exist in car. In a fighter jet, there is the problem of too many responsibilities. So, There came the introduction of FBW(Fly-By-Wire). To lessen the responsibility load on the pilot. Car technology may be headed that direction. But the space, within which to recover. Is far less in a vehicle. Than it is in a plane. Also, Planes don't have to look out for pedestrians and cyclists. TCAS helps planes keep a mile apart from each other. But the need to pay attention, not just for other vehicles'. But also other road users. Is far greater. Also, The space before a potential collision on the road. Is measured in feet and inches. Not in miles. Also, There are not always two people in the vehicle. To effect a road version of CRM.

Last edited by Chris516; 10-22-15 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-22-15, 07:42 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I have a new 2015 pickup. The number of "toys" it has is amazing. You hardly have time to drive.
Old 10-23-15, 07:51 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I have a new 2015 pickup. The number of "toys" it has is amazing. You hardly have time to drive.
Having rented a few brand new vehicles lately... I really tend to agree... and some of these things actually make just using the basics difficult... such as setting the climate controls or getting a station on the radio.

Of course there are some new features that are really nice too... such as the wide angle back up cameras now offered on many newer cars.
Old 10-23-15, 08:01 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I have a feeling I'm going to be an awful old curmudgeon when it comes time to buy my next car. I am actually kind of interested in either one of the cheap new Teslas (not out yet, but probably will be by the time my old van stops moving) or a hybrid. But I don't want anything with a screen. I don't even want navigation because the factory navigation I've seen is all overpriced crap and they charge more for a map update than a whole separate navigation system (with free map updates) costs. I'll just put in my own nav system thanks.

I may wind up having to cave on that, it seems like nobody makes cars without screens anymore.
Old 10-23-15, 10:34 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I may wind up having to cave on that, it seems like nobody makes cars without screens anymore.
My motor vehicle has a screen. It also has a screen off default feature which is how it is set. It gives no info that is needed to drive.
Old 10-23-15, 12:34 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
My motor vehicle has a screen. It also has a screen off default feature which is how it is set. It gives no info that is needed to drive.
Do you need to access the screen to do things like tune the radio or turn on the AC? I saw that in some cars and felt it was really stupid... I'd much rather have a knob or dial that I can reach for blindly to make any changes I need... the screen can display a status, but I don't want to be forced to look at it to make a change like a touch screen demands.
Old 10-23-15, 12:41 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
I'll recycle an appropriate comment:

Manufacturers recently started integrating audio/hvac/gps/communication controls into motor vehicles via computer and touch screen. I strongly suspect this toy will result in more distraction, accidents, injuries and fatalities. Errant motor vehicle operators will naturally continue to report "I was driving along and he came out of nowhere".

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...l#post15185949
Old 10-23-15, 01:43 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Originally Posted by genec
Do you need to access the screen to do things like tune the radio or turn on the AC? I saw that in some cars and felt it was really stupid... I'd much rather have a knob or dial that I can reach for blindly to make any changes I need... the screen can display a status, but I don't want to be forced to look at it to make a change like a touch screen demands.
A/C is fully separate. I could scan radio station up/down and change volume/mute or switch source without screen (all on steering wheel), but I would need screen to tune a specific station. I don't listed to radio, just CDs.