Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Why I ride with extreme confidence, almost arrogance

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-15, 03:10 PM
hooCycles

Bikes: Jamis Sputnik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I believe that my riding skills and situational awareness are good enough to get me out of any situation that a car may place me in. It keeps me alert to think that my skill is the only thing keeping me alive. I have to take responsibility for what happens because I should have seen the danger coming. To rely on the actions of drivers would mean that I'm not good enough.

We cyclists like to think that our skills acquired from years of riding alongside cars is enough to keep us alive, that if we do everything right then everything will be OK. Obviously, this is not true, but my thought process is such. I think that by convincing myself that I can control all factors, I become more invested --with my ego-- in my own safety, and therefore a safer rider.

Does anyone else think like this when riding, or am I just a delusional, arrogant bastard?
Old 10-25-15, 03:36 PM
Hokiedad4

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant Contend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Of course, no cyclist can control all factors that impact his/her safety. But statistically speaking, you can put yourself in a position to avoid the majority of dangerous situations.
Old 10-25-15, 05:05 PM
hooCycles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hokiedad4
Of course, no cyclist can control all factors that impact his/her safety. But statistically speaking, you can put yourself in a position to avoid the majority of dangerous situations.
With a name like Hokiedad4, we couldn't agree on the color of the sky . The idea of this post, though, was not that "you can put yourself in a position to avoid the majority of dangerous situations", which is of course true, but rather that I use my ego to make sure I'm alert and not relying on the decision-making ability of drivers to stay safe. I would take any crash I was involved in as a knock on my cycling ability.
Old 10-25-15, 05:24 PM
slimyfrog

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It keeps me alert to think that my skill is the only thing keeping me alive.

I switched to biking/walking/train for my commute, but I have driven to work and back for several years in a heavy traffic area. I had many close calls, but never an accident. I do drive very defensively. I don't mean slow at all. I mean I always assume the people around me are going to do something outside of the expected normal.
This self centered attitude has worked really well so far for me even in the cycling world. Anything that makes you more aware of your surrounding will make you safer and I rather be delusional, but alive.
Old 10-25-15, 06:43 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Their are things that may happen beyond your skills, to think otherwise is foolish.
Old 10-25-15, 07:07 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by hooCycles
The idea of this post, though, was not that "you can put yourself in a position to avoid the majority of dangerous situations", which is of course true, but rather that I use my ego to make sure I'm alert and not relying on the decision-making ability of drivers to stay safe. I would take any crash I was involved in as a knock on my cycling ability.
I agree with your thoughts but would like to point out that every time we head out (on foot, bikes or in cars) we ARE absolutely relying on the decision making ability of drivers.

That's not to say that we have no control, or that we can't lessen this reliance.

Oh, and welcome aboard. It's always nice to have more confident, almost arrogant cyclists join us here. <<< I am 100% serious with this comment. Ride Large and Take Charge.

Last edited by AlmostTrick; 10-25-15 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-25-15, 07:30 PM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
I believe that my riding skills and situational awareness are good enough to get me out of any situation that a car may place me in. It keeps me alert to think that my skill is the only thing keeping me alive. I have to take responsibility for what happens because I should have seen the danger coming. To rely on the actions of drivers would mean that I'm not good enough.

We cyclists like to think that our skills acquired from years of riding alongside cars is enough to keep us alive, that if we do everything right then everything will be OK. Obviously, this is not true, but my thought process is such. I think that by convincing myself that I can control all factors, I become more invested --with my ego-- in my own safety, and therefore a safer rider.

Does anyone else think like this when riding, or am I just a delusional, arrogant bastard?
Until an accident.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Overthinkers post their thoughts often, then want peer support, ... it happens ..
^^^(from another forum thread)
Old 10-25-15, 07:35 PM
hooCycles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
Their are things that may happen beyond your skills, to think otherwise is foolish.
Of course. A car could run me down from behind at 60mph before I knew it was coming. That has been discussed ad nauseam on this forum. What I'm trying do here is present a mental game that I play with myself that I believe causes me to ride more alertly and hence more safely. I was curious to see if others played a similar mental game with themselves.
Old 10-25-15, 07:38 PM
hooCycles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
Until an accident.

Please note the part of my OP that says "Obviously, this is not true..."
Old 10-25-15, 07:45 PM
hooCycles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I agree with your thoughts but would like to point out that every time we head out (on foot, bikes or in cars) we ARE absolutely relying on the decision making ability of drivers.

That's not to say that we have no control, or that we can't lessen this reliance.

Oh, and welcome aboard. It's always nice to have more confident, almost arrogant cyclists join us here. <<< I am 100% serious with this comment. Ride Large and Take Charge.
Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, you are absolutely right about cyclist relying on drivers' decision making, perhaps I meant to say "make sure I'm alert and doing everything I can to minimize my reliance on the decision-making ability of drivers to stay safe."

Old 10-25-15, 07:50 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
...... I think that by convincing myself that I can control all factors, I become more invested --with my ego-- in my own safety, and therefore a safer rider.
I think that is a method of self-hypnosis. Probably harmless enough. Should I assume that secretly... you worry about a collision with a car?
Old 10-25-15, 07:56 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I agree 100%
Old 10-25-15, 08:14 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
One can only take full responsibility, its impossible to take full control.

There's a difference between being judiciously confident, and being brashly overconfident.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Overthinkers post their thoughts often, then want peer support, ... it happens ..

Last edited by kickstart; 10-25-15 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-25-15, 08:31 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Fatigue, lack of sleep, stress, worries, diversions, bad weather, and so many other things can affect concentration and reactions. When someone talks about their bike handling skills and aren't Peter Sagan, I have doubts on their abilities.
Old 10-25-15, 08:39 PM
yooperbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the feeling is required in order to be able to ride, otherwise would be overcome with fear. Everyone who drives a car has developed this same confidence/arrogance all the while driving head-on at like 140 MPH closing speed at cars heading the opposite direction with a few feet separation. Over 35,000 car fatalities per year in USA be damned, my skills protect me.

People cope with risks all the time. Situational awareness and skills reduce risks. The remainder of risks are still there, just need to be accepted and lived with.
Old 10-25-15, 08:45 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
One can only take full responsibility, its impossible to take full control.

There's a difference between being judiciously confident, and being brashly overconfident.
Of course, and of course.

WAY more common, in my experience, is fear well out of proportion to the actual risks. This fear limits many cyclists... and keeps many folks from taking up cycling (especially on roads) at all.

Yet so many of us "confident" cyclists (like you, KS) have ridden for thousands of miles, and many years, with very few issues.
Old 10-25-15, 08:47 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Analysis is usually more objective, and decisions are faster, when we do not become more invested with our ego. So I am skeptical that it makes one a better rider.
Old 10-25-15, 09:15 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
WAY more common, in my experience, is fear well out of proportion to the actual risks. This fear limits many cyclists... and keeps many folks from taking up cycling (especially on roads) at all.

Yet so many of us "confident" cyclists (like you, KS) have ridden for thousands of miles, and many years, with very few issues.
I think its probably more fear of the unknown than any potential risks that intimidates most people. Unless one is burdened by phobias, experience will give one adequate coping skills. I say "coping skills" because only a fool has no fear in the rational sense of the word.
That said, "confidence" can become a manifestation of fear also, such as cyclists who say "I always take the lane", the auto racer who says "when in doubt, throttle out", or the cop who says "shoot first, ask questions later".

I suppose I'm comparatively "confident", but I'm more inclined to call myself pragmatic.
Old 10-25-15, 10:06 PM
hooCycles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
I think its probably more fear of the unknown than any potential risks that intimidates most people. Unless one is burdened by phobias, experience will give one adequate coping skills. I say "coping skills" because only a fool has no fear in the rational sense of the word.
That said, "confidence" can become a manifestation of fear also, such as cyclists who say "I always take the lane", the auto racer who says "when in doubt, throttle out", or the cop who says "shoot first, ask questions later".

I suppose I'm comparatively "confident", but I'm more inclined to call myself pragmatic.
That is a very thought-provoking post, and it ties back to Dave Cutter's earlier reply:

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter;
I think that is a method of self-hypnosis. Probably harmless enough. Should I assume that secretly... you worry about a collision with a car?
I do worry to some extent about a collision with a car, but I think that my level of worry is not
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick;
well out of proportion to the actual risks
(read: not very high), and obviously not high enough to keep me from riding.

Very good posts everyone.
Old 10-25-15, 10:13 PM
hooCycles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slimyfrog
[/I]
I switched to biking/walking/train for my commute, but I have driven to work and back for several years in a heavy traffic area. I had many close calls, but never an accident. I do drive very defensively. I don't mean slow at all. I mean I always assume the people around me are going to do something outside of the expected normal.
This self centered attitude has worked really well so far for me even in the cycling world. Anything that makes you more aware of your surrounding will make you safer and I rather be delusional, but alive.
Do you mind if I use your quote "I'd rather be delusional, but alive"-slimyfrog in my signature?
Old 10-25-15, 10:35 PM
slimyfrog

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you mind if I use your quote "I'd rather be delusional, but alive"-slimyfrog in my signature?
Lol. No I don't mind at all, and you don't need to stick my name in there. it's your signature. hehe.
Old 10-25-15, 11:00 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I regard cycling in traffic as I did boxing. Both are exhilarating, with the same catastrophic consequences for failures to respect the risks. And both require confidence based on experience and good technique to do well and safely in most situations.

Arrogance isn't the natural extension of extreme confidence. They may even be mutually exclusive. Confidence is based on training, experience, conditioning, and the ability to learn, adapt and rebound from adversity. Arrogance is a bully's courage, based on delusions an unwarranted sense of superiority, and reckless disregard for the opposition. Arrogance crumbles under pressure and doesn't imbue the holder with the ability to adapt and recover from adversity.

Evander Holyfield, like Muhammad Ali, possessed supreme confidence and resilience. He was an overachiever, never as good at heavyweight as he was at cruiserweight (he was arguably the best cruiserweight in history), but able to overcome his limitations with technique and tenacity, and with the resilience to rebound from losses and knockouts with no discernible loss of confidence.

Mike Tyson was arrogant, with a bully's courage. He had ability, explosive speed and power, but lacked tenacity and genuine confidence. He crumbled under pressure and never rebounded from adversity, continuously diminishing in performance mentally with each loss.

The difference is that we are never equally matched in traffic. There are few referees and we depend on a trust system based on a few mutually agreeable rules of civilization. Neither confidence nor arrogance will make the slightest dent in tons of steel. But true confidence based on experience, technique and conditioning will help us avoid some foreseeable catastrophes because our attention won't be consumed with fear and panting for breath with trembling muscles.

Decades ago I rode confidently in traffic for years, even after several minor accidents. But I was younger, quicker, and in much better condition. If I rode in traffic now - only seven weeks after resuming cycling - when I'm distracted by neck and back pain, and feeling less than full strength, I wouldn't be confident. I'd be arrogant, and foolish. I ride in traffic now only when I'm feeling my best, and even then I take frequent breaks to catch my breath, stretch my neck and back, and wait for the thighs to quit burning. And on some tricky high traffic sections, especially uphills, I'll scoot over to the sidewalk (virtually unused by pedestrians in my area), or quieter side streets, rather than plod along blindly and exhausted.

I'd like to believe that motorists recognize and respect a genuinely confident cyclist who rides with respect for his or her surroundings. But I'm not fooling myself into believing that I'm surrounded by some magical protective aura. I'm trusting in others to show mutual respect for the basic rules of polite society.
Old 10-26-15, 08:03 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Situational awareness and skills are great. I use them on every ride. But not everything is in your control. That's why it's called an accident. Wet leaves, acorns, hidden ice and crazy animals as well as nature can reek havoc. The inattentive driver( cell phones anyone?) is the greatest danger to us all.
Old 10-26-15, 11:09 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
I think that is a method of self-hypnosis for. Probably harmless enough. Should I assume that secretly... you worry about a collision with a car?
I got my comeupppance about my riding delusions two years ago, when I invited another BF subscriber to come to Boston for an organized ride.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…rtool (Dick) arrived Friday afternoon about 1:30 PM…I had promised myself as I did last year, that I would not take the participants out onto the streets of Boston, since I live downtown. A well-used urban bike path with nice city views follows the Charles River and would IMO be a fine, safe, and pleasant introduction to Boston...

As mentioned, Dick had come with a low-riding recumbent trike, from Fairborn, Ohio, small, probably rural town I imagined, and now at the end of the Path we were facing the busy mean streets of downtown Boston at rush hour. I myself had never ridden most of that on-street route to the Navy Yard, but I knew we could take sidewalks. Dick, as he was during the entire weekend, said “Fine, you lead the way.”

So we made our way, mostly on crowded sidewalks with some hazardous street crossings. Eventually I had to give up and go onto the streets. Dick had no problems with street riding, and actually seemed to prefer it. Later on he said it’s really no problem, and has cycled streets around the world such as Munich and London, so I realized, “What’s Boston?”

[After a long ride the next day]… Finally he revealed that he is a certified Cycling Instructor by the League of American Cyclists and taught safe, including urban, cycling to adults and children. As a decades-long, year-round urban cyclist, I proudly told him I learned by experience, and he replied, “It shows. You made some mistakes out there.”
Old 10-26-15, 11:21 AM
hohum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got my comeupppance about my riding delusions two years ago, when I invited another BF subscriber to come to Boston for an organized ride.
IMHO this was your most glaring error:

but I knew we could take sidewalks.
Don't ride on the sidewalks! It's downright unsafe; and even illegal in an ever growing number of municipalities.

Sidewalks are for pedestrians, homie.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.