Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

What do you say to a cyclist riding at night w/o lights or reflectors?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 10-26-15, 11:46 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts

A few evenings ago I was at the local grocery store and another cyclist was about to set off without lights or reflectors, and I pointed this out to him and told him that lights and relectors are rather inexpensive and really important. This guy resented my comments and rode off.
So, what should one do in this situation? be qiet and let him collect his Darwin Award, or try to say something?
Old 10-26-15, 11:49 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Myob.
Old 10-26-15, 12:04 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Say something. Who cares if it ticks him off. You are caring about another cyclist. They should be grateful. Otherwise, They should be handing you a shovel. To scrape their carcass off the road after they have been killed for riding like that.
Old 10-26-15, 12:08 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
MYOB I doubt there is anything you cold tell them that they do not already know. You were just being a busybody.
Old 10-26-15, 12:13 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood
A few evenings ago I was at the local grocery store and another cyclist was about to set off without lights or reflectors, and I pointed this out to him and told him that lights and relectors are rather inexpensive and really important. This guy resented my comments and rode off.
So, what should one do in this situation? be qiet and let him collect his Darwin Award, or try to say something?
MYOB and ride off satisfied with your own bicycling sanctimony; people who don't may wind up collecting their own Darwin Award from the strangers that they deliberately provoke with their obnoxious behavior.
Old 10-26-15, 01:40 PM
delcrossv

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
"Nice knowing 'ya- foo." Really nothing to do- it's their life. :shrug:
Old 10-26-15, 01:49 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
MYOB and ride off satisfied with your own bicycling sanctimony; people who don't may wind up collecting their own Darwin Award from the strangers that they deliberately provoke with their obnoxious behavior.
+1; about sums it up.
Old 10-26-15, 01:59 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,916 Times in 2,547 Posts
I don't entirely agree. Every once in a while, a stranger says something at the right moment and it gets heard. And sometimes it changes behaviors and makes a real difference. I believe that if I am quiet enough and can really feel what my gut has to say, not my head, that there are times when I can open my mouth and it is the right thing to say.

Now, almost always when I feel the blood rising, it is not when I should say anything. Certainly not in a situation like this. But I hope that I never stay quiet when I feel that little voice or nudge.

I know of a case where a friend listened to that voice and took action, making phone calls and saying things re: a friend that could well have ended her employment, housing situation or relationship. He persisted. End result? Two heavily armed cops burst into her apartment, past her boyfriend like he wasn't even there, scooped her up, loaded her into a waiting ambulance and got her to the emergency room about two hours from dying of drug overdose. All based on a hunch. (He knew neither this woman's last name nor where she lived, hence the many phone calls.)

Ben
Old 10-26-15, 02:07 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Last night at the grocery store a young fellow in a car stopped and suggested I get some lights from the nearby dollar store where he'd seen some flashing LEDs for a buck apiece. He didn't realize I removed my lights while I was away from the bike. I showed him the various LEDs I have on my helmet, and the strap-ons for the handlebar and rack.

But I also thanked him for the tip and said "You can't have enough lights." I plan to check out his dollar store tip.

The fellow meant well and I took it as such. He had slightly labored, stilted speech, he said from brain damage due to serious injuries from being struck while riding his bicycle. It wasn't slurred from intoxication - I recognized the speaking pattern from having worked in health care and looking after folks recovering from strokes and head injuries. Voice of experience. I took his suggestion in the spirit he intended.

If I planned to offer the same suggestion to other riders I'd probably buy a bunch of dollar store reflectors and lights, carry 'em with me and hand 'em out free as I encountered folks riding at night without lights. One nearby dollar store has yellow and orange springy roll-up strips that quickly attach/detach pretty much anywhere - an arm or leg, seat post or frame, etc. I've been trying 'em for a week on my own bike. I plan to buy a few more and hand 'em out to neighborhood riders I see without lights or reflectors.
Old 10-26-15, 02:18 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I have given away lights to riders that had none.

In about a week or less The lights were not on their bikes.

So myob is Best.

Old 10-26-15, 04:47 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Add one more vote to the MYOB side.

I can't fathom why some people appoint themselves as nannies to strangers. Of course if someone asks for help, than you should graciously offer it. But otherwise you should equally graciously keep your mouth shut.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-26-15, 06:00 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
The only time I say something to another cyclist about lighting is if they have an obnoxiously bright light on a MUT, I simply say "your light is on high", my logic being I've had a light get out of adjustment, or left it on a high setting by mistake, and as most cyclists practice reasonable discretion I assume its unintentional.
If they're being jerks it doesn't matter, and if not they won't mind.
Old 10-26-15, 06:01 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Read any thread about wearing a helmet, or running stop signs and red lights or being a ninja. The feedback is along the lines of them having a better sense of judgement and being able to avoid collisions better than others.

You might as well try to convince a smoker what the hazards are. He already knows and doesn't care.
Old 10-26-15, 09:47 PM
vol

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
I'd tell a wrong-way salmon not to ride wrong way before I tell someone to get lights. So far I've never talked to a wrong-way salmon when encountering them. Almost all the wrong-way salmons I've met had no light even in the dark; it's my headlight that make us both realize each other's presence.
Old 10-26-15, 10:51 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
About all I say to other people who are riding is "hello" or some comment on our lovely weather (tongue in cheek during the wet months). Why would I want to make them unhappy about riding by harassing them? There's few enough of us as it is.
Old 10-26-15, 11:12 PM
fthomas
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vol
I'd tell a wrong-way salmon not to ride wrong way before I tell someone to get lights. So far I've never talked to a wrong-way salmon when encountering them. Almost all the wrong-way salmons I've met had no light even in the dark; it's my headlight that make us both realize each other's presence.
A sad commentary on a sense of concern for a fellow human and cyclist. A city in Southern California - Santa Ana leads the way in bicycle accidents and fatalities in Orange County. Primarily because the population on bikes are (sorry for not being politically correct) illegal immigrants. Riding on the sidewalk against traffic at night with no lighting. A recipe for disaster.

The local bicycle co-op provides bicycles, helmets and bikes with reflectors and lights to many of these people, but it obviously is not enough to educate the masses who nightly ride in all of the wrong ways taking untold risks.

There is a major arterial connecting to the interstate close to where I live with 59,700 average daily traffic counts often moving at speeds up to 45 mph. The layout for cyclists is extremely dangerous and it is an area that I do not hesitate to walk my bike on the sidewalk until I am clear of the mess and back in a marked bicycle lane. I know that does not guarantee safe passage, but it is far more safe than running the gauntlet.

Friday, after an 18 mile ride I walked my bike across the interstate and a homeless guy with a sign at a side street that I had to cross to get back into a bike lane said: "Wow, man that is a good idea to walk your bike. I saw someone hit on a bike over there last week."

I don't need the warning, but see a few cyclist that would be well served if they were confronted with the cold hard facts. We can MYOB, but I would rather risk pissing someone off verses speaking with that one person that took the concern to heart and not as an intrusion or insult.

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 10-26-15, 11:37 PM
J.C. Koto
apocryphal sobriquet

Bikes: 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker "The Truckerino"

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
If you're going to say something, might as well go all in: "Hey! Jerkass! You forgot your lights, jerkass! Whaddarya?! Some kinda jerkass who forgets his lights or sumthin?"
Old 10-27-15, 01:00 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by canklecat
Last night at the grocery store a young fellow in a car stopped and suggested I get some lights from the nearby dollar store where he'd seen some flashing LEDs for a buck apiece. He didn't realize I removed my lights while I was away from the bike. I showed him the various LEDs I have on my helmet, and the strap-ons for the handlebar and rack.

But I also thanked him for the tip and said "You can't have enough lights." I plan to check out his dollar store tip.

The fellow meant well and I took it as such. He had slightly labored, stilted speech, he said from brain damage due to serious injuries from being struck while riding his bicycle. It wasn't slurred from intoxication - I recognized the speaking pattern from having worked in health care and looking after folks recovering from strokes and head injuries. Voice of experience. I took his suggestion in the spirit he intended.

If I planned to offer the same suggestion to other riders I'd probably buy a bunch of dollar store reflectors and lights, carry 'em with me and hand 'em out free as I encountered folks riding at night without lights. One nearby dollar store has yellow and orange springy roll-up strips that quickly attach/detach pretty much anywhere - an arm or leg, seat post or frame, etc. I've been trying 'em for a week on my own bike. I plan to buy a few more and hand 'em out to neighborhood riders I see without lights or reflectors.
While I like the fact that the motorist even took the time to make the suggestion. The Dollar Store? Even dumpy Walmart is better than the Dollar Store.

He must have been hit hard where it required extensive hospitalization. My brain injury is due to what I was born with. All in all. I applaud him for making the suggestion. When I stop somewhere and lock up my bike. I leave my taillight($35 Axiom) on my bike. But I take my Niterider headlight($149) and Garmin Edge 500 bike computer($259) off, and take them with me.

Two years ago, there was a small bike event in Northern Virginia. Where they had set up a a table with lights n' reflectors. At one of the bike/ped trail junction points. To give away free to any cyclist that rode by. Who didn't have any.

The only problem I have with the thinking of never having enough lights, is that. While it will definitely make a cyclist visible. It could also be distracting for the driver. Because the driver will be so drawn to the colors.

To sort of give an example of what I am referring to. Here is a popular video from YouTube:

The engineer who created this. Did not count on the traffic problems it would create: Carson Williams' 'Wizard in Winter' Christmas Light Display : snopes.com
Old 10-27-15, 06:11 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I beat them senseless with a flashlight until they see the light.

Seriously...mind your own.
Old 10-27-15, 06:14 AM
jeichelberg87

Bikes: 2013 Raleigh Revenio 2015 Giant AnyRoad (stolen)2016 Giant Escape 1

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never understood the mind set of MYOB when it comes to people performing acts in public. Once someone performs an act of behavior in public, it is my business if it is in front of me or impacts me.

I do not want to witness another person getting killed, regardless of how stupid they are.

I say something.
Old 10-27-15, 06:49 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
MYOB? It is our business. I cycle in an area where cyclists are often hated by motorists. Riding the wrong way, riding at night without lights, blocking traffic when it's not necessary, etc. all affect how motorists feel about cyclists and therefore how safe my ride is. In many situations, the cyclist is as uneducated as most motorists.
I usually suggest nicely "You should really get some lights." If I'm in a bad mood, though, "Dumbass!!" will suffice.
Old 10-27-15, 07:37 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Why say anything when you can just hose 'em down with that reflective spray paint?
Old 10-27-15, 08:37 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Unless you have lights or reflectives to offer, MYOB. If you care about people riding with lights and reflectors, carry spares you can give away to others. If you purport to care about people riding without lights and reflectors, and you don't carry spares for those who don't have them, you are in drastic need of some self-reflection.
Old 10-27-15, 08:50 AM
jeichelberg87

Bikes: 2013 Raleigh Revenio 2015 Giant AnyRoad (stolen)2016 Giant Escape 1

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
Unless you have lights or reflectives to offer, MYOB. If you care about people riding with lights and reflectors, carry spares you can give away to others. If you purport to care about people riding without lights and reflectors, and you don't carry spares for those who don't have them, you are in drastic need of some self-reflection.
So, let me get this straight...Asking for another to take responsibility for poor behavior in public requires me to have on hand the solution to alter that behavior?

By the way, I am thinking nearly every state requires lights and/or reflectors to be mounted on the bicycle. Not sure though..,.

I might be wrong, but I am pretty sure everyone said MYOB when it came time to talk to Klebold and Harris..."No big deal...just a phase..."

Last edited by jeichelberg87; 10-27-15 at 09:15 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 10-27-15, 09:01 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Most people will act annoyed because you mentioned it. They will probably say something like MYOB. But, some of them will think about it later and think to themselves, "that guy was right". They may do something about it.
If I'm in a good mood I will mention it, but not expect to get a polite response. I'll just hope for the best, and, not try to convince a stranger, other than mentioning it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.