Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Law on vehicles blowing horn at bicycles in Pa

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-15, 10:30 AM
Bizman

Bikes: 2014 Carbon Quest XS (Velomobile), 2014 Catrike Road (Trike), 2013 Easy Motion Max 700+ PCS (E-bike), 2011 Lynskey R340 (Road), 2011 Surly Moonlander (Fatty), 2010 Santa Cruise Tallboy (Full Suspension)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

I have read (somewhere) and heard blowing the horn at a bicyclist is assault. I have done a search about this (for PA) and if it is assault I can't find anything specifying this? I have been having the horn grossly over used by several vehicles passing and then buzzing me. I remember a conversation with a State Troopper about this and understood it is not allowed and is assault. I am now in conversation with a local officer who says it is not assault?

I know that not all police know the law about this (and other bicycle laws) and would like to be sure of this myself (with proof to produce when needed) and how to find out what PA law says about this so I can be corrected or that I can correct the police officer if he is wrong. Although I understand the little toot toot from a vehicle to let you know they are there could also be assault, I am more concerned about the ones just laying on the horn for 3-5 or more seconds being assault. Thanks in advance for any clarification on the laws about this.
Old 10-29-15, 10:44 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I would rather them lay on their horn than say they didn't see me. Horns are annoying, but harmless.
Old 10-29-15, 10:53 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
I would rather them lay on their horn than say they didn't see me. Horns are annoying, but harmless.
Unless they startle you or you value your hearing. Drivers have no idea what it is like to be 5 feet in front of that horn with no car or windows between. And I still can get startled when a car I am perfectly aware of and who has lots of ropm lays on that horn as he is passing me.

Ben
Old 10-29-15, 11:23 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
Horns are annoying, but harmless.
Is that why so many motorists nearly jump out of their seats when I honk at them with my voice for doing something like sitting at a light that has turned green because they are too busy texting to notice? BTW...PA has a 4' law, so if a cyclist is living up to his obligation no motorist should be honking and buzzing.
Old 10-29-15, 11:58 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Unless they startle you or you value your hearing. Drivers have no idea what it is like to be 5 feet in front of that horn with no car or windows between. And I still can get startled when a car I am perfectly aware of and who has lots of ropm lays on that horn as he is passing me.

Ben
I find big commercial trucks accelerating past me much louder than any horn. I guess I am always expecting someone to honk, so I am not quite startled anymore when someone does.
Old 10-29-15, 12:31 PM
hohum

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Horn Honking == Assault? That's pretty ****ing absurd.

I would hope that anyone who rides around in a crowded metro area for more than 5 minutes a day would be used to dealing with angry motorists.
Old 10-29-15, 12:33 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Even if it is a law how is it in any way enforceable?
Old 10-29-15, 01:22 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I think the horn was intended to warn others sharing the road with you, and cyclists are no exception. I think it is better to be startled by a horn than a bumper on your ass!
Old 10-29-15, 01:28 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by NYMXer
I think the horn was intended to warn others sharing the road with you, and cyclists are no exception. I think it is better to be startled by a horn than a bumper on your ass!
Yeah, because it is common for cars to honk at other cars as they overtake them.
Old 10-29-15, 01:47 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
And I suppose farting technically is an EPA violation too.
Old 10-29-15, 02:27 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
Yeah, because it is common for cars to honk at other cars as they overtake them.
Probably not but cars have several rear view mirrors and a bicycle can get passed more in one ride than you do in your car all year.
To each their own, it' just a matter of opinion and we don't have to agree.... That would get boring.
Old 10-29-15, 02:33 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Probably not but cars have several rear view mirrors and a bicycle can get passed more in one ride than you do in your car all year.
To each their own, it' just a matter of opinion and we don't have to agree.... That would get boring.
I don't see how a lack of mirrors and increased passes means cars should honk at cyclists...
Old 10-29-15, 02:37 PM
NYMXer

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I don't see how a lack of mirrors and increased passes means cars should honk at cyclists...
I never said they "should", I said that it is better than getting startled by having a bumper on your ass...
Old 10-29-15, 02:43 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

I never said they "should", I said that it is better than getting startled by having a bumper on your ass...
I don't understand. Are you trying to justify drivers being rude because being rude is better than striking someone with your car? These two things aren't exactly related. All they have to do is safely pass the cyclist; they don't have to announce their presence.
Old 10-29-15, 03:04 PM
NYMXer

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I don't understand. Are you trying to justify drivers being rude because being rude is better than striking someone with your car? These two things aren't exactly related. All they have to do is safely pass the cyclist; they don't have to announce their presence.
What I am saying is that I think it is better to have an overly cautious car beep the horn before they pass rather than sit right behind me and be reluctant to pass, as in too nervous. Nervous drivers make me nervous and while most car operators can find a way to pass without startling a cyclists, not all operators have the skill or confidence to do so.

Sometimes, I will actually wave a car by me because they just don't seem willing to pass. Once I acknowledge them, they safely pass by, probably because they know that I am aware of their presence. I think we have all met at least one car driver that just won't pass unless you wave them on.

When I pass other cyclists (when driving a car), I do not beep my horn and move over as much as I can. Sometimes I might show them a "thumbs up" depending on my mood.
Old 10-29-15, 03:12 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

What I am saying is that I think it is better to have an overly cautious car beep the horn before they pass rather than sit right behind me and be reluctant to pass, as in too nervous. Nervous drivers make me nervous and while most car operators can find a way to pass without startling a cyclists, not all operators have the skill or confidence to do so.

Sometimes, I will actually wave a car by me because they just don't seem willing to pass. Once I acknowledge them, they safely pass by, probably because they know that I am aware of their presence. I think we have all met at least one car driver that just won't pass unless you wave them on.

When I pass other cyclists (when driving a car), I do not beep my horn and move over as much as I can. Sometimes I might show them a "thumbs up" depending on my mood.
Got it.

Personally I'd still rather not have cars honking at me.
Old 10-29-15, 03:16 PM
NYMXer

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Old 10-29-15, 03:18 PM
Bizman

Bikes: 2014 Carbon Quest XS (Velomobile), 2014 Catrike Road (Trike), 2013 Easy Motion Max 700+ PCS (E-bike), 2011 Lynskey R340 (Road), 2011 Surly Moonlander (Fatty), 2010 Santa Cruise Tallboy (Full Suspension)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Please let me clairify, this is not about a quick horn honk and pass safely, this is about blowing the horn for 3-5 OR MORE seconds and passing you closer than the law allows (PA is 4 ft), it is intentional mis conduct. As far as assault, I have saw it stated about blowing a horn at bicycles and the law and I am pretty sure it was on this forum as I only look at A&S here. Please keep you answers to the topic if possible, and explanation is fine.
Old 10-29-15, 03:43 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Bizman
Please let me clairify, this is not about a quick horn honk and pass safely, this is about blowing the horn for 3-5 OR MORE seconds and passing you closer than the law allows (PA is 4 ft), it is intentional mis conduct. As far as assault, I have saw it stated about blowing a horn at bicycles and the law and I am pretty sure it was on this forum as I only look at A&S here. Please keep you answers to the topic if possible, and explanation is fine.
I don't see that use of a horn is a violation anywhere in PA State Vehicle code, so no, use of horn is not assault. Maybe look through vehicle code and let us know if you find different? Or maybe PA case law?
Old 10-29-15, 04:17 PM
hooCycles

Bikes: Jamis Sputnik

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's kinda funny when a passing car honks at me. I think drivers think that if their car is quiet on the inside, it must sound quiet to a cyclist. Meanwhile, I'm thinking "Gee, thanks for beeping, I couldn't hear your two-ton steel cage barreling down the road at 40mph. I had no idea you were back there. Knowing you're about to pass me will really change the way I'm riding."

All that said, I really don't care. And as someone above me said, at least it means they saw me.
Old 10-29-15, 04:33 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hohum

I would hope that anyone who rides around in a crowded metro area for more than 5 minutes a day would be used to dealing with angry motorists.
I could care less about angry motorists honking at me. They can swallow my gas. They can have their gas and eat it too.
Old 10-29-15, 04:55 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by hohum

I lived in San Diego for years, and rarely did I have anyone honk at me while I was driving... San Diego is the 9th largest city in the US, so I would think "crowded metro area" would qualify. What happened while I was biking though was totally different... people would honk, yell, rev engine... etc. Not all the time mind you... but it sure happened to me far far more often than when I was motoring. If a horn was honked at me while I was driving, there was a clear reason for the honk... But while cycling... well I suppose the reason was clear to them doing the honking, but not to me as a cyclist.

What I am saying here is that honking the horn is NOT the usual mode of operation for most folks most of the time. (I understand NYC is different in this regard...). But for some odd reason, honking suddenly becomes something to do in the presence of a cyclist. (who most likely was already aware of the approaching vehicle due to everything from tire noise to engine noise to exhaust noise--cars are anything but "quiet.")

Honking excessively may be a crime in some areas... I am not sure. But assault?
Old 10-29-15, 04:57 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by hooCycles
I think it's kinda funny when a passing car honks at me. I think drivers think that if their car is quiet on the inside, it must sound quiet to a cyclist. Meanwhile, I'm thinking "Gee, thanks for beeping, I couldn't hear your two-ton steel cage barreling down the road at 40mph. I had no idea you were back there. Knowing you're about to pass me will really change the way I'm riding."

All that said, I really don't care. And as someone above me said, at least it means they saw me.
Love it... especially the part in bold.... classic.

Even electric cars make at least tire noise... and if I didn't hear that, well it was likely due to the noise from all the other cars around.

I just spent the last four days camping in various state parks... I always knew morning was approaching, due to the increased road noise on the highways somewhere near the parks...

Last edited by genec; 10-29-15 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-29-15, 10:48 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I would be curious if there was actually any case law where a honking motorist was successfully prosecuted for assault. Here in the 808 using a horn is pretty much a social faux pas. I rarely get one. When I have (mostly on the mainland) my impression it is done to harass, not to help. I might be over-sensitive though. I just don't appreciate someone blasting their horn right behind me. What goes through my head is something has gone wrong and they are about to run my butt over.

scott s.
Old 10-30-15, 07:12 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Get a bumper-sticker or signage for your back that says something to the effect, "honk if you're...." and choose the disparaging remark of your liking. See what that does.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.