Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Using a Brompton as a home exercise bike

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 11-22-19, 10:06 AM
snazpizaz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi

Can anyone recommend or advise what i need to purchase to use my brompton bike as a home exercise bike ?

Thanks for your attention folks

s
Old 11-22-19, 10:36 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
I wonder how many of these are still available after 11 years?

https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...ed-folder.html
Old 11-22-19, 11:48 AM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I have the Minoura indoor trainer I would part with for $100. Don't know if it would work on a Brompton, but works well on 406 rims.
Old 11-23-19, 08:37 AM
snazpizaz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks

the discussion on trainer adapters for 20" wheels had some interesting leads but brommies have 16" wheels.

Do you think these rollers might do it ?

https://www.evanscycles.com/training...e_trainer_type

Seems to me the key distance is the one between the two rollers for the back wheel - ?? These evans ones have adjustable length so that should accomodate brommies ?

thanks s
Old 11-23-19, 12:51 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by snazpizaz
the discussion on trainer adapters for 20" wheels had some interesting leads but brommies have 16" wheels.
Yeah, I wouldn't have wasted your time except that upon actually reading the link I saw that several of the mentions said they worked for 16" wheels.
Old 11-23-19, 05:12 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by snazpizaz
thanks

Do you think these rollers might do it ?

https://www.evanscycles.com/training...e_trainer_type

Seems to me the key distance is the one between the two rollers for the back wheel - ?? These evans ones have adjustable length so that should accomodate brommies ?

thanks s

I see two rollers on that link, neither of them look to have an adjustable distance between the two rear wheel rollers?

I’ve used my Brompton on my Kurt Kinetic Z roller. Giro explained it well in post 8 on the link above. It works, but it’s harder (both to balance and to spin).... better than nothing I guess, but I prefer my 700x32 gravel bike on it more.
Old 11-23-19, 05:15 PM
snazpizaz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes sorry - i did look up Kurt Kinetic models and the 1Up - the latter seems a US product only - i was just wondering about the rollers too as they seem less pricey and bulky ...

Posts 8 and 10 by Giro - were a bit confusing as they don't specify a Kurt Kinetic 'Roller' so i was assuming it was the bigger 'Road Mashine'. Also the link didn't work.

Thanks for clarifying 'Kurt Kinetic Z roller' - you say you've used successfully on a brommie. That doesn't look adjustable (?) so i'm assuming the distances fit the brommie bike length ?

Yes a couple of youtube vids show it can be a bit wobbly on rollers but it also is doable - Maybe i should look at the Kinetic Road Mashine and equivalent models - getting a range of prices for those from £200-£300 ....

cheers s

Last edited by snazpizaz; 11-23-19 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-23-19, 11:06 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
The KK roller seems same as all the others - only front roller adjusts for wheelbase. The setting is the same between my two bikes though, the B has a long wheelbase. The 2 rear rollers are fixed in place so the 16” wheel drops in a bit deep adding to the friction - keep the rear pressure high to offset.

It is do-able, just not ideal.
Likes For reppans:
Old 11-24-19, 10:33 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 80 Posts
I put my 2 speed Brompton on my Cyclops fluid trainer
3 speed has mount that won't allow axle clamps
It and my 20" Dahon and Downtube needed an adapter ( ~$40)
the 20"ers have solid reat triangles and looked fine, but the 16" Brompton put a lot of stress on the rear suspension in a twisting fashion, focused on the pivot
I would recommend against trying it on the 16" Brompton and on 20"s with rear suspension
Old 11-27-19, 04:56 AM
snazpizaz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebikebike
I put my 2 speed Brompton on my Cyclops fluid trainer
3 speed has mount that won't allow axle clamps
It and my 20" Dahon and Downtube needed an adapter ( ~$40)
the 20"ers have solid reat triangles and looked fine, but the 16" Brompton put a lot of stress on the rear suspension in a twisting fashion, focused on the pivot
I would recommend against trying it on the 16" Brompton and on 20"s with rear suspension
Hi
bikebikebike Sorry i didnt quite understand - are you saying you don't recommend using the Cyclops with a brommie or that it's okay with the adapter ? cheers !
sp
Old 11-28-19, 11:35 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebikebike
the 20"ers [that] have solid rear triangles and looked fine, but the 16" Brompton put a lot of stress on the rear suspension in a twisting fashion, focused on the pivot
The Brommie S2L rear triangle had a lot of rotational stress focused on the rear hinge , when on my Cyclops.
The IGH on the 3/6 speeds of many make mounting an issue as well, as the shift chain comes out through the hub.
I would expect the same issues on a rear suspension 20".
They are not built with this kind of motion in mind, so I could see that stressing the welds and tubes in an unanticipated fashion.
The bigger bikes these trainers were designed around, distribute these stresses over longer spans and distribute the stress better.
Plus many trainers need $$ adapters for smaller wheels.
Roller trainers don;t have this problem, but they have their own issues that are reflected in their own lack of broad use.
I liked my Downtube NS IX on the Cyclops, but it showed these dynamics , so I just use it with my 20"trike as a recumbent trainer. where there isn't much rotational stress on the rear.

Last edited by bikebikebike; 12-02-19 at 04:02 PM.