Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shoes - fit and adjustability

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-20-20, 10:38 AM
leo95se

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I’m currently using shimano r107 shoes with spdsl cleats. Time for an upgrade

I bought fizik infinito and have been test fitting them at home. I think they are a touch too small, the toe box particularly. I think that’s a thing with fizik.

so now I’m wondering if I go up a half size or try another shoe, and am looking at the sidi shot.

my question—
im pretty nervous about a lack of adjustment. Getting the perfect bike fit seems to be never ending for me (I’m short with short legs).

The sidi shoes don’t offer sliders for the cleat mounts. Is that loss of additional adjustability a big deal? I can’t seem to find much on that topic.
Old 06-20-20, 10:41 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
The cleats themselves have slots for front/back adjustment.
Old 06-20-20, 10:49 AM
leo95se

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WhyFi
The cleats themselves have slots for front/back adjustment.

correct. Many shoes offer adjustment on the plate as well. Eg the fizik I just bought and the shimano I own. I’m wondering if non adjustable *shoes* are a detriment for setting fit.
Old 06-20-20, 10:52 AM
Jazzguitar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Try going up a half size. I was a long time Sidi wearer but decided to try the Fizik Aria R3s as they were on sale and I wanted the Boa straps. I usually wear a 44 Sidi but went with a 44.5 Fizik and the fit is perfect, though a 44.5 in the Sidi would also probably be good too.
Old 06-20-20, 11:02 AM
leo95se

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jazzguitar
Try going up a half size. I was a long time Sidi wearer but decided to try the Fizik Aria R3s as they were on sale and I wanted the Boa straps. I usually wear a 44 Sidi but went with a 44.5 Fizik and the fit is perfect, though a 44.5 in the Sidi would also probably be good too.
thanks!
how was fit between the two for you? And the sidi dial va boa?
Old 06-20-20, 11:19 AM
Jazzguitar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by leo95se
thanks!
how was fit between the two for you? And the sidi dial va boa?
The Sidis feel like they are molded to my feet but I wanted something with a little more room in the toe box, especially for when I wear heavier socks. The Sidis just have Velcro and the ratchet strap whereas the Fizik has the double Boa.

The Fizik has more room in the toes but also adjusts beautifully in width due to the Boa design. Chances are I should have sized up a long time ago and the Sidis in 44.5 would have been fine but I wanted to try something different. I’ve not needed any “break in” time which has been great, so far so good.
Old 06-20-20, 11:25 AM
noOriginalNames

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Some 3 bolt shoes allow for adjustment (Shimano I believe is one brand) while others do not. It is also my understanding that certain brands (Fizik) drill the holes further forward, while other brands drill the holes further backwards. If you are concerned about fore/aft adjustment it might be a good idea to do some reading on which shoes tend to place the cleats where. I don't know of an adapter plate for 3 bolt shoes, but I think Speed Play offers an adapter for their pedal and cleat system that allows for much greater fore/aft adjustment.
Old 06-20-20, 11:27 AM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
I bought fizik infinito and have been test fitting them at home. I think they are a touch too small, the toe box particularly. I think that’s a thing with fizik.
Make sure the cleats are properly positioned fore-aft. If they're too far back you'll lift your toes and likely press against the shell. Too far forward, and your toes will curl downwards. The baseline position should have you pedaling with your toes relaxed, lightly contacting the footbed. Also, when wearing the shoe as a final touch push the heel into the heel pocket and tighten to pick up any slack. They're also easy to tighten on the bike if they feel a little loose. You don't want them super tight, just enough for them not to be loose. The R1 Infinito is a really good shoe; over time the shell will break in to fit your foot outline.

Last edited by sfrider; 06-20-20 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-20-20, 11:54 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
correct. Many shoes offer adjustment on the plate as well. Eg the fizik I just bought and the shimano I own. I’m wondering if non adjustable *shoes* are a detriment for setting fit.
Unless you have an extreme setup, like something approaching mid-foot positioning, it shouldn't be an issue.

Also, if you need a more roomy toe box, you might want to check out Lakes.
Old 06-20-20, 02:10 PM
leo95se

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Unless you have an extreme setup, like something approaching mid-foot positioning, it shouldn't be an issue.

Also, if you need a more roomy toe box, you might want to check out Lakes.
got it. Thanks!
ill test as much as I can. Happy to share results here.
Old 07-25-20, 11:24 AM
leo95se

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Hi all
thought I’d circle back with what I chose and some reviews/impressions of a few shoes.

My old shoes for reference are shimano rp3, several years old. Size 42. I upgraded because I wanted something more stiff.

I tried:
fizik r1 infinito in size 40.5 and 41.
sidi shot in sizes 41 and 41.5
shimano rc901 in 42

i would say I hover between 41.5 and 42 for most shoes. I have medium arch and high instep.

sidi was an amazing, foot wrapping experience. You can instantly tell the quality is better than others. It’s also the most bulky shoe.
I found it extremely narrow. My toes were always cramped and there is no room for adding an insole. Also the buckle system on top was obtrusive. The bolt pattern is fixed. The insole is garbage it’s the most flimsy. I think the concept is good with their buckle system, but it puts pressure across the top of my foot, which seems like it would lead to pain and numbness.
I want to like sidi but this shoe isn’t for me. I’d say this is the stiffest of all of the 3.

the fizik is completely different. It’s stiffer material, but wraps the foot more gently. The boa system works well but I found the way the tongue sits, the top lace would get under the tongue when it’s loose, requiring two hands to put them on and initially tighten. The front of the Toe box is wider, but the rest is tight. This led to too much pressure on my metatarsal. Could be a size thing but I wasn’t trying *another* pair of shoes lol. These have floating bolt pattern so a bit more clear adjustability. Insoles are average, equal to a standard running shoe. These also seem the most delicate. I’d be hesitant to have to walk much/at all in these.

I spoke to a pro fitter and said my experiences make sense with these- both are European cut; designed for a more narrow foot. While I am euro descent, my feet don’t fit this stereotype

that brings me to shimano. The rc9 was my last hope. Granted it was a half size larger but overall the fit was much better. Most roomy toe box, easy one handed tighten and release boa and tongue system, and floating bolt pattern for a bit more adjustability. These also came with insoles with an adjustable arch support. Nice touch. Best of the 3 for general comfort, though I don’t know if that takes away pedal efficiency. a very stiff sole, and riding with these (these are what I wound up buying) showed an immediate improvement in power transfer, not that my old shoes are a good baseline!

hope this helps anyone on the hunt for shoes