Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

New addition -> Norco Avanti

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-20, 06:00 AM
msdumo

Bikes: 96 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2002 Norco Avanti, 2017 Norco Malahat, 2021 VoltBike 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Just got a Norco Avanti 24 spd from a friend who left it behind when he moved out west. From what I can find it looks like a 2002 Model.
Needed some TLC, a good cleaning and a new chain. It is on the big side at 22 inches but I can make it work for me.
I have a 2017 Norco Malahat that was made in Cambodia. The chrome handle bar always rust and need polishing and I had to re spoke from 15 gauge to 14 gauge on the real wheel. I just got tired of broken spokes.

The Avanti has similar geometry but much better components and a polished aluminum handle bar. Should be a better bike.
Can't wait to put some miles on it!
Old 09-23-20, 06:05 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
It's hard to beat a free bike! Is this the bike? https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/...spx?item=37206

It looks like a nice-riding hybrid bike. I think the Nexave components sometimes were incompatible with other groups, though I wouldn't swear to it. It's just something to watch for (and maybe confirm that I'm wrong) if you do eventually start to upgrade or replace components.
Old 09-23-20, 05:08 PM
msdumo

Bikes: 96 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2002 Norco Avanti, 2017 Norco Malahat, 2021 VoltBike 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
It's hard to beat a free bike! Is this the bike? https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/...spx?item=37206

It looks like a nice-riding hybrid bike. I think the Nexave components sometimes were incompatible with other groups, though I wouldn't swear to it. It's just something to watch for (and maybe confirm that I'm wrong) if you do eventually start to upgrade or replace components.
Your link is right on and that is my bike.
First ride on it today. I put a new chain on it and encountered a lot of skipping. I will replace cassette and hope that clears it. Derailers needed adjusting.
Loved the geometry of the bike but took a while to get used to shifters. Will probably change seat.
The Nexave shifters have a button on the top on both sides for lower gears and lever below for higher gears.
Not used to button for lower gears on the right and a lever to go up to a higher gear.

Not a real problem but different.
Old 09-24-20, 06:06 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
I would start with a new chain and then replace the cassette if it still skips. The chain usually wears faster than the cassette...most people will get two or three chains to a cassette so, if the drivetrain is skipping, replacing the chain is a good first step. If the cassette is that worn, it's likely to need a new chain also anyway. You can certainly measure the chain to check for wear. Measure along the top length of chain when it's pulled taut. Each link is exactly 1/2" long. Put the ruler's 0 mark on one pin and look at the 12" mark -- it should be exactly on the 24th pin from the 0 mark. If the 12" mark is slightly short of the pin, that means the chain has enough wear in the links and pins that it's effectively elongated; that's a good objective measurement of wear.

Also, check that the skipping you're feeling isn't really "ghost shifting". It could be that the rear derailleur's indexing is off just a little bit, and the chain tries to jump to the next larger or smaller sprocket under load because it's not exactly centered on the desired one.