Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Mirrors - Pros and cons?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Mirrors - Pros and cons?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-20, 11:36 AM
The Old Peddler

Bikes: Currently 4 Electra's : 3 Cruisers and a Townie. also 1 mutt bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 13 Posts
I have been using the EVT Safe Zone Bicycle Helmet Mirror from Amazon for many months now. I really like the product, tho it takes some getting used to .... but it is stable and BIG for a helmet mirror.

Old 10-16-20, 11:58 AM
Pinelander
Roadie

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Another 70+ guy here. I never felt comfortible with glasses/helmet mounted mirrors. I use the Mirrcycle model that's component-specific and locks into the brake hood. Yes, there is some vibration, but as others have said, I just need to know what's behind me since I can't always depend on my hearing.
To all you young folks who can't understand the need, just wait!
Old 10-16-20, 12:43 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
The most effective mirror that I've tried, and use now, is mounted on my sunglasses. Night-time driving glasses actually. lost my shades a while back.

I construct them from craft store mirrors, a paperclip and JB Weld. Drill 2 holes in the frame and wrap it through, close to the lens for a wide frame of view. It's just more adjustable and holds up better than anything I've bought.
Old 10-16-20, 12:54 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
I wear ear buds that amplify ambient noise and ride on New Mexico's roads - I hear when cars are coming. I can imagine it would help to know when they're approaching if you couldn't get that info otherwise.

I guess my overall approach to mirrors is that I'm aversive because I consider it too little info, not too much.
Old 10-16-20, 02:28 PM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
At this time, a lot of my riding is on county and state highways, preferentially ones that have a bike lane. One of my nightmare scenarios is a driver obliviously cruising along with two wheels solidly in the bike lane.

A bar end mirror (round; 68 mm) gives me at least some ability to see what's going on back there.

It's just one tool. I can (and do) still use my ears and turn my head, too. Oh, and look in front of me.
Old 10-16-20, 02:32 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I check out every car that comes up behind me, just before the pass me, and make sure their line is OK. I've only had to bail out to the shoulder a couple of times, one time was when a big rig buzzed me at 60 mph.
Old 10-18-20, 09:24 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I check out every car that comes up behind me, just before the pass me, and make sure their line is OK. I've only had to bail out to the shoulder a couple of times, one time was when a big rig buzzed me at 60 mph.
I do the same, usually bailing several times per year. Here in rural Maine, it's logging trucks and big dump trucks pulling equipment on trailers that give me the willies. I sometimes bail without even seeing them if I hear a big diesel behind me and I'm approaching a blind hilltop or sharp bend in the road. I live or die by my hood mounted Blackburn mirrors.
Old 10-18-20, 12:57 PM
msdumo

Bikes: 96 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2002 Norco Avanti, 2017 Norco Malahat, 2021 VoltBike 750

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckles1
I do the same, usually bailing several times per year. Here in rural Maine, it's logging trucks and big dump trucks pulling equipment on trailers that give me the willies. I sometimes bail without even seeing them if I hear a big diesel behind me and I'm approaching a blind hilltop or sharp bend in the road. I live or die by my hood mounted Blackburn mirrors.
We use our senses like hearing as well as eyesight to let us analyze danger situations. As long as we use our brains to focus and act on them we can continue to ride.
I am always cautious when I hear any large trucks. The driver may make room for you but they often forget about the lag in the trailer to move out. Some bikers have been hit by the rear trailer wheels. Some trailers have added barriers on the belly of the trailers to help with this.
The road bike with 700x23c tires is not so great when switching on a soft shoulder. Bailing is a last resort.
I am safer on my hybrid with the more erect seating making my glasses mounted mirror give me a better view and 700x38c tires makes a quick evasive move to the gravel on the shoulders easier and more likely.

Last edited by msdumo; 10-18-20 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-22-20, 09:02 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
ANYTHING that enhances you safety is a good thing!!!!!!!!!!!