Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Slight creak from handlebars

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-20, 10:39 AM
msdumo

Bikes: 96 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2002 Norco Avanti, 2017 Norco Malahat, 2021 VoltBike 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I have 2 hybrid bikes and recently have developed a slight creaking noise when pedaling moderately. I have checked all fasteners and they all seem to be okay.
The quill stems on the handle bars are not loose and appear tight enough. The noise goes away when I pedal with no hands on the handlebar.
So it is either the stem bearings or where the handlebar attaches to the stem that is causing the creak when I pedal and exert a little load on the handlebars.
I was thinking of spraying everything with silicon spray or WD40, wipe it down and hope the noise goes away.
Any advice?
Old 11-06-20, 10:48 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
WD40 is water-displacement, not a true lubricant. If you're positive it's coming from the stem/bars, I'd remove the handlebar clamp bolts one at a time and clean time, then with the stem loose, carefully slide the bars over and clean the bar-stem interface (where the stem clamps onto the bars). Slide it back into position, then tighten those bolts to the correct torque in a criss-cross pattern.

But creaks can be tricky. I've spent days trying to track down creaks, and spent money on new chainring bolts, teflon tape, a new bottom bracket, and the creak will end up coming from something stupid, like a rear wheel quick release that just needed a little tightening, or recently a pedal that just needed the threads cleaned and retightened to the correct torque.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Edit: and you can check the headset bearings by standing in front of the bike, squeezing the front brake lever and pushing the bike back and forth. If the headset bearings are loose, you'll feel a little bump/tick.
Likes For calamarichris:
Old 11-06-20, 08:04 PM
msdumo

Bikes: 96 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2002 Norco Avanti, 2017 Norco Malahat, 2021 VoltBike 750

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
WD40 is water-displacement, not a true lubricant. If you're positive it's coming from the stem/bars, I'd remove the handlebar clamp bolts one at a time and clean time, then with the stem loose, carefully slide the bars over and clean the bar-stem interface (where the stem clamps onto the bars). Slide it back into position, then tighten those bolts to the correct torque in a criss-cross pattern.
Good advice. Got it done except for the torque part. Will test on my next ride and give you results. Thanks!
Old 11-06-20, 08:18 PM
bocobiking
bocobiking

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Paramount, 1974 Raleigh Super Course, 1984 Columbine, 1979 Richard Sachs, 2003 Serotta Legend Ti, 2005 Serotta Concours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 28 Posts
If you're positive it's coming from the stem/bars, I'd remove the handlebar clamp bolts one at a time and clean time, then with the stem loose, carefully slide the bars over and clean the bar-stem interface (where the stem clamps onto the bars). Slide it back into position, then tighten those bolts to the correct torque in a criss-cross pattern.

I agree with this, but I would add that you can apply a light coating of grease to the bars where they interface with the stem. I’ve solved many a handlebar creak doing this.
Old 11-07-20, 12:34 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Greasing the interface between the handlebar and stem might eliminate the creak, assuming that neither part is damaged, with the damage being the source of the creak. I've noticed that such creaks seem happen with some of my bikes only under certain conditions of ambient humidity. When the level of humidity changes, the creak disappears.

A bike shop owner with a background in mechanical engineering once told me that handlebar/stem creaks are a consequence of aluminum "twinning," whatever that is.

Last edited by Trakhak; 11-07-20 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-07-20, 09:00 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
A picture of the stems in question might lead to better suggestions. Many hybrids have suspension stems that are prone to creaking.
Old 11-07-20, 09:50 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
The WD40 is quite a good idea, because with noises you can waste huge amounts of time trying to track them down.
So you spray one thing, then test ride for the creak. If the creak goes away, you now know where the problem is and so avoid stripping down parts of your bike needlessly - with the risk of creating a new problem.
Old 11-07-20, 03:38 PM
msdumo

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I removed the handlebars from the stem and removed the stem on both bikes. Cleaned all parts, greased, replaced and check all fasteners.
Went for a ride today and noise is gone.
My forks are suspension types. One bike has covers and is never a problem.
The other has open struts and I keep these clean and apply a very slight film of oil periodically or when I get some noise.
Riding with no hands was silent and was why I focused on the stem and handlebars.