Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Strava Relative Effort?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Strava Relative Effort?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-20, 11:09 AM
DirePenguin

Bikes: 2014 Trek 8.3 DS, 2022 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 26 Posts
Strava Relative Effort?

I know at lot of us here use Strava.

Is anyone else having problems with the Relative Effort being suddenly too low? I generally ride the same few workout loops. Before 9/24, all of my RE’s were in the 40’s and higher. As of 9/24, my RE’s for (essentially) the same workout rides are now teens or low 20’s!

Not only are the RE’s very low for similar efforts, but the Fitness graph shows me losing Fitness at a disturbing rate.

I’ve contacted Strava, but they’re all backed up on Support tickets and thought I’d check with other athletes....
Old 10-15-20, 11:22 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
5 seconds and google told me most of what I needed to know on the specifics of Strava RE.

Assuming there is no failure on the part of your data let me try and explain something that most riders fail to grasp when it comes to training.

RE in this case (CTL/TSS in traditional metrics) is an attempt for the analytics company to give a metric to how hard you are working. That is weighted. It becomes this sort of weighted average of the metric over your capacity to product the metric (measure of intensity).

If you keep riding the same route/workout all the time then you will often see a drop off in those metrics. Reasons are multiple but in essence you are doing the same workout in a body that has a larger reservoir or ability to produce work (most people call this "fitness"). Think of it this way - if you run a clunker of a car at 70 mph on the highway you're really pushing it to it's limits and there is a big change happening in the engine. When you start running a supercar on the highway at 70 mph you're not doing anything to the engine at all. Not even remotely taxing it.

These metrics are a measure of how much you are taxing your system. As your ability to produce work increases you are in effect not working as hard by doing the same workouts. You HAVE to step it up either in intensity or duration in order to achieve the same effect. Like an addiction.

This is usually the limit that most people hit when trying to improve at this sport. They either run out of time to extend the duration of their training so they keep increasing the intensity. Then they run out of the ability to produce the needed intensity in the time they have while including the proper recorvery needed to not burn out the body.

So if you want to constantly see those numbers improve (impossible to do forever) then you have to increase the duration or the intensity of your efforts. Doing the same thing is no longer going to help you achieve what you want.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 10-15-20, 12:07 PM
DirePenguin

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
So if you want to constantly see those numbers improve (impossible to do forever) then you have to increase the duration or the intensity of your efforts. Doing the same thing is no longer going to help you achieve what you want.
I’d buy that if it was a gentle decline, but the difference is dramatic. RE’s for the rides before: 68,39,60,42,69,67... REs after: 15, 17, 16, 12, 18. I don’t believe I’m suddenly working less than 1/2 as hard on my rides over one day’s time difference.
Old 10-15-20, 12:26 PM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Did you recently update your FTP on Strava or anything like that? If RE is calculated similarly to TSS, that could be an explanation.

Old 10-15-20, 12:52 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10422 Post(s)
Liked 11,884 Times in 6,088 Posts
What's happening with me is that I'm simultaneously getting a lot of PRs, AND lower REs. I traced it to heart rate. Because I've been riding in the same are a for decades, I tend to duplicate routes. AND this season I've made a real effort to lose weight and work harder. That explains why I keep getting PRs on segments I've ridden as many as 300 times - I'm going faster than I was.

At the same time, it's like my whole Heart Rate Zone system has been shifted lower - my RHR dropped from 52 to 44, but also my LT seems to have dropped from 163 to 160 (this is based on when I switch from deep breathing to panting). But at the same energy output, my HR is lower.

So, for example, yesterday's ride is the same as one I did last year. Yesterday my average speed was 2.4mph FASTER than a year ago, but RE was only 62, whereas last year's ride was 133. And that's after readjusting all my HR zones to match the change in HRs!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-15-20, 12:53 PM
DirePenguin

Originally Posted by Andy Somnifac
Did you recently update your FTP on Strava or anything like that? If RE is calculated similarly to TSS, that could be an explanation.
There was a new FTP right around the time in question, but it was the same as previous.
Old 10-15-20, 12:59 PM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Run them through intervals.icu and see if they calculate the load any differently. Or download the files and upload them to Training Peaks. Checking Strava's calculation against another site's calculation is really the only way you're going to get to the bottom of this.

Likes For Andy Somnifac:
Old 10-15-20, 01:07 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
I don't use premium features so it just tells me if a ride was harder than usual or not. Strava has marked some of my rides as "harder than your usual effort" ….and I know for a fact that it was not, some of them were zone 2 rides. I'm basing that off my power data (from power meter), distance and speed. I don't pay any attention to it.

Have you changed or updated any data fields besides the FTP you mentioned above? Bike weight, your weight, etc... not sure if it makes a difference or not.
Old 10-15-20, 05:45 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Pretty sure Strava uses HR or RPE instead of TSS and IF. I rode the same exact indoor ride two weeks apart that took me something like 2 hours and the second ride was mere seconds faster than the first one, but the Strava relative effort was almost twice as high the second time because my HR was a zone higher throughout (had lost fitness fast due to being completely off the bike during the bad AQI event affecting the West Coast). My FTP was unchanged and I don't ever bother reporting RPE in my rides.

I find Strava's fitness metrics to be a joke, and not just because of that. Let my trial premium sub end and haven't missed it one bit.
Old 10-15-20, 08:56 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Heart rate is a factor. Strava's guesstimates for relative effort changed after I got a Tickr and added more data. Then it changed in response to changes in my meds and caffeine intake that affected my heart rate. So the same perceived effort, segment speed and average speed, etc., still factored differently when my HR changed.

And when I compare Strava, the Elevate browser extension and intervals.icu graphs, they all look very different.
Old 03-30-21, 03:40 AM
AndyGG

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DirePenguin
I know at lot of us here use Strava.

Is anyone else having problems with the Relative Effort being suddenly too low? I generally ride the same few workout loops. Before 9/24, all of my RE’s were in the 40’s and higher. As of 9/24, my RE’s for (essentially) the same workout rides are now teens or low 20’s!

Not only are the RE’s very low for similar efforts, but the Fitness graph shows me losing Fitness at a disturbing rate.

I’ve contacted Strava, but they’re all backed up on Support tickets and thought I’d check with other athletes....

did you get any answer- i agree the sudden drop isn’t explained by HR metrics

Last edited by cb400bill; 03-30-21 at 03:58 AM.
Old 03-30-21, 05:53 AM
DirePenguin

Originally Posted by AndyGG
did you get any answer- i agree the sudden drop isn’t explained by HR metrics
Yes, the Strava tech suggested that I reset my heart rate zones back to the default from max. heart rate instead of the custom zones I set to match my Garmin.

As soon as I did that, my RE’s went back to normal. And, they’ve been correct since.
Likes For DirePenguin:
Old 03-30-21, 06:26 AM
AndyGG

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DirePenguin
Yes, the Strava tech suggested that I reset my heart rate zones back to the default from max. heart rate instead of the custom zones I set to match my Garmin.

As soon as I did that, my RE’s went back to normal. And, they’ve been correct since.
thanks - hope to see the same!
Old 03-30-21, 06:52 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001

RE in this case (CTL/TSS in traditional metrics) is an attempt for the analytics company to give a metric to how hard you are working. That is weighted. It becomes this sort of weighted average of the metric over your capacity to product the metric (measure of intensity)..
I that case, shouldn't it be TSS/CTL?
Old 03-30-21, 04:22 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I find Garmin in particular is way off on calories when riding with a heart rate monitor. I upload to garmin and it goes to Strave. Strave seems t get my relative effort ok but picks up Garmin's calorie count. According to Garmin in don't burn many calories when using HR monitor. I have a low rest pulse of 40 and rarely get above 140 unless and all out effort. I can under the right conditions get close to my max HR predicted at 161 but I am at my limit for sure.

I routinely ride 50 miles at 17.5 mph and have a HR that will average out 118 for the ride and garmin will say I burned 1200 calories. I am pretty sure I am burning more that 600 calories an hour and yet it has me at 436 per hour. I sure would not go on anything either Garmin or Strava says.
Old 03-30-21, 04:31 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
I find Garmin in particular is way off on calories when riding with a heart rate monitor. I upload to garmin and it goes to Strave. Strave seems t get my relative effort ok but picks up Garmin's calorie count. According to Garmin in don't burn many calories when using HR monitor. I have a low rest pulse of 40 and rarely get above 140 unless and all out effort. I can under the right conditions get close to my max HR predicted at 161 but I am at my limit for sure.

I routinely ride 50 miles at 17.5 mph and have a HR that will average out 118 for the ride and garmin will say I burned 1200 calories. I am pretty sure I am burning more that 600 calories an hour and yet it has me at 436 per hour. I sure would not go on anything either Garmin or Strava says.
FWIW, I think that the calorie estimates are ignoring your base rate, but if you really want a better idea, get a power meter.
Old 03-30-21, 06:44 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
My calorie estimates based on HR are usually ludicrously high, especially as my HR becomes elevated. At least a PM can give me kilojoules and provide a reasonable estimate of Calories.
Old 04-07-21, 07:45 AM
deacon mark

So today on my Garmin I did 50.05 miles in 2:39 minutes and average speed 18.8 mph. My Cadence was 86 and heart rate 119. Garmin says I burn 1077 calories. Gosh I hope I burn more than that I know my daily calorie intake would have me gaining weight otherwise and I am not. I weigh the same as I have for years.
Old 04-07-21, 08:08 AM
WhyFi

So today on my Garmin I did 50.05 miles in 2:39 minutes and average speed 18.8 mph. My Cadence was 86 and heart rate 119. Garmin says I burn 1077 calories. Gosh I hope I burn more than that I know my daily calorie intake would have me gaining weight otherwise and I am not. I weigh the same as I have for years.
Garmin doesn't factor your base rate, just energy used to go forward. That estimate certainly seems within reason unless the course was hilly and/or windy. Riding with a power meter will give you a more accurate estimate.
Old 04-07-21, 08:39 AM
deacon mark

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Garmin doesn't factor your base rate, just energy used to go forward. That estimate certainly seems within reason unless the course was hilly and/or windy. Riding with a power meter will give you a more accurate estimate.
My 40 plus years as runner/cyclist say it is too low. Based on heart rate calculators and my age and weight it suggest 1900 calories. To me that is maybe high but not so far off. I tend to think about 30-31 calories a mile. That says about 1500 and to me about right. Of course I will ignore garmin.
Old 04-07-21, 08:52 AM
WhyFi

My 40 plus years as runner/cyclist say it is too low. Based on heart rate calculators and my age and weight it suggest 1900 calories. To me that is maybe high but not so far off. I tend to think about 30-31 calories a mile. That says about 1500 and to me about right. Of course I will ignore garmin.
It might be right in the ballpark or it might not - it's making assumptions about rolling resistance and position, etc. Sustaining ~19mph on flattish terrain, with a good surface, with good tires and a halfway decent position doesn't take a lot of power but, again, that can/will vary a lot based on the above. I'd rather that calorie estimates err on the side of conservative as opposed to giving a green light to stuff my face when it's not warranted.
Old 04-07-21, 09:33 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Calorie estimates based on heart rate are not very accurate, so using the data from one source that was based on heart rate to compare to another source also based on heart rate really doesn’t achieve much. I ride with a power meter and rarely use a heart rate monitor. The numbers I get for calorie consumption are based of kilojoules. It also is an estimate, but a much more accurate one. My calorie output was much lower when the data was based on kilojoules.
Old 04-07-21, 03:59 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
If you're not using kJ for caloric expenditure, you're just guessing. It's a pointless exercise.

Use a powermeter or don't worry about it is my advice.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 04-09-21, 05:13 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
I think it's low as well. 2:39 is 9540 seconds. 18.8 mph on flat ground... say 185 W. 185*9540/1000 = 1764 kJ. There's 0.24 kcal per kJ, but pedaling is only about 23% efficient, so those conversions largely cancel and you get maybe 1800-1850 kcal. 1900 kcal is not unreasonable.

The only way to really get really good energy estimates is with a power meter. Heart rate is meaningless unless there's power data to calibrate against.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop