Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Recommend a 28mm tire thats smooth riding

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Recommend a 28mm tire thats smooth riding

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-21, 07:24 AM
ridinginjeans

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Concorde PRX, Scott Scale 29er, Santa Cruz Tall Boy, Blue Norcross EX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Vitoria Corsa

Really love my Vittoria Corsa. Very good quality, easy to mount.

Originally Posted by robertj298
Out of my 4 bikes that I ride the most I believe only 2 will take a 28mm tire. My 83 Univega Super Strada and 84 Fuji Team are out. They barely take a 25 mm tire
I put a 28mm gatorskin on my 86 Panasonic DX 5000 and it rides great. I'm pretty sure my 87 Ironman Expert will take a 28mm tire but I'm wondering if there's a
better option than Gatorskins that aren't overly expensive?
Old 05-04-21, 07:24 AM
gofish44

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Vittoria Corsa for pure comfort. Check out https://granfondo-cycling.com/the-best-road-bike-tire. I personally disagree with their characterization of the Continental GP5000's as hard, but that could be because they tested 25 mm at higher pressures than I would run them and because I landed on 28 mm or 32 mm tires as best suited for my particular applications. Shane Miller (GP Llama) long term review of the GP 5000's:
although he focuses more on durability, rather than comfort.

Old 05-05-21, 10:16 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
So, I re-read this thread and your collective responses to a similar question I posted a while back.

I have a few thoughts.

1. Inflation is very important in rider perception of a tire.
2. People recommend only what they have.
3. Few people have ridden multiple tires on the same bike/roads to compare.
4. Tire prices vary over a HUGE range (10:1).

Lastly, and NOT leastly,...

5. You pays your money and takes your choices.

Buy the best you can afford and see if you like them. I don't think there are any dangerous tires on the market.

I wonder if a better way to get info is to the question in the negative - are there any tires to stay away from and why; why wouldn't I chose XYZ tire over the ABC tire?

In my case, I am very happy with my Challenge Paris-Roubaix's, so why would I not buy replacements?

What do you think?

Last edited by Bad Lag; 05-05-21 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-05-21, 10:24 AM
Bad Lag

Originally Posted by robertj298
... I'm wondering if there's a better option than Gatorskins that aren't overly expensive?
Did OP ever define his budget?
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 05-05-21, 01:03 PM
ridinginjeans

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Concorde PRX, Scott Scale 29er, Santa Cruz Tall Boy, Blue Norcross EX

Tire pressure

Originally Posted by Bad Lag
So, I re-read this thread and your collective responses to a similar question I posted a while back.

I have a few thoughts.

Buy the best you can afford and see if you like them. I don't think there are any dangerous tires on the market.

I wonder if a better way to get info is to the question in the negative - are there any tires to stay away from and why; why wouldn't I chose XYZ tire over the ABC tire?

In my case, I am very happy with my Challenge Paris-Roubaix's, so why would I not buy replacements?

What do you think?
it’s certainly true that tire pressure makes a big difference. To this day most people tend to overinflate. I’ve been doing 60 psi with my 28s and am toying with the idea of going lower.

i have Vittoria Corsas.
Old 05-05-21, 01:27 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts

I have a few thoughts.

What do you think?
Kenda K40, K35, etc. They totally suck. Sorry, they just do. I'd go with any budget offering from Schwalbe, Michelin, Panaracer, Continental, etc. before those every time.
Old 05-05-21, 07:21 PM
Bad Lag

Originally Posted by ridinginjeans
it’s certainly true that tire pressure makes a big difference. To this day most people tend to overinflate. I’ve been doing 60 psi with my 28s and am toying with the idea of going lower.

i have Vittoria Corsas.
Yes, however, when you quote an inflation pressure you have to also give us your weight (rider+bike) and your road type & conditions or it is meaningless. If I rode 60 psi in my 28 mm rear tire, I would flat out in the first mile.

A quantitative characteristic of the tire is its weight. It's true, IMO, lighter tires have totally different feel to them than heavier tires. You can look at a tire's weight as one important characteristic.

I think thread count is also important in terms of how a tire feels. Higher counts are better - more supple, lighter.

This is why it is so difficult to get good info on "the best" tire.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 05-05-21 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-05-21, 07:33 PM
ridinginjeans

Weight

Okay, I weigh 165. 170 if I’ve been eating too much pizza. When I raced cyclocross, i ran 28/26 in my Vittoria tires. Never got a flat.

Yes, however, when you quote an inflation pressure you have to also give us your weight (rider+bike) and your road type & conditions or it is meaningless. If I rode 60 psi in my 28 mm rear tire, I would flat out in the first mile.

This is why it is so difficult to get good info on "the best" tire.
Old 05-05-21, 07:54 PM
Bad Lag

Originally Posted by ridinginjeans
Okay, I weigh 165. 170 if I’ve been eating too much pizza. When I raced cyclocross, i ran 28/26 in my Vittoria tires. Never got a flat.
Sorry about having to divulge personal info but it is important to set context. I'm probably 210-220 + bike, so probably ~250 lb with water and tools aboard. I should go weigh myself.

I ride on old, relatively smooth blacktop roads and concrete bikeways - no pot holes, no loose gravel. When I rode on old, high desert blacktop covered in a lot of loose gravel from the decomposing ashpalt, the road ended up destroying a tire - a case rupture from the gravel. So, the road conditions are also important.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 05-05-21 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-05-21, 08:00 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Guess I'm old.. Every 28 mm tires is supple if you remember riding fast clinchers in the late 80's and 90's. 23 mm was normal for most but I rode many 18 - 20's at high pressures on Open 4CDs. Was over 220 lbs as well.
Not many flats and it was fast fun.
Likes For clubman:
Old 05-11-21, 01:37 AM
retroshifter
too many bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
I really liked the Clement Strada 120 tpi 28 mm. Supple, easy to mount, light, and was very puncture resistant for me (150 lbs) on my commute bike. Measures a full 28mm on my rims. Around $35 each.
Old 05-11-21, 08:40 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Reading through this I conclude and agree that almost every 28 from major companies are smooth and don't find latex tubes are worth the trouble. I moved to 28s everywhere they will fit a few years ago, otherwise 25s. My southern AZ bikes, where everything has thorns, have been gatorskins or hardshells until recently as I have gotten good service from GP5000s. For latex I have tried on my Portland and WY bikes I can't get past price, more fiddly to install, and I can't patch. I don't care about inflating every ride as I rotated through bikes so have to anyway, don't care about saving 100g or the watts saved and am not at all sure I get a meaningfully better ride with latex. That said from my reading I suspect I am very lucky to have much better roads than most of you.
Old 05-11-21, 08:48 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts

I have a few thoughts.

What do you think?
All good points!

Tires to stay away from? I like supple tires, and I don't need puncture protection, so I don't like cheap tires or tires with puncture protection that makes the ride stiffer. I've seen a few defective Cheng Shin (CST) and Kenda tires. I generally prefer tires made by the big brands.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-11-21, 09:33 AM
jrg1244

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale CAAD 5 Potenza 66cm, 1984 Basso Gap Nuovo Record 65cm, 1989 Cannondale ST Racing Triple 27", 1974 Schwinn Paramount Nuovo Record 26", 198? Scapin MKII 66cm Victory, 1994 Havnoonian Chorus 8sp 27"

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 44 Posts
Recently installed a new set of Vittoria Corsa Control 700x30c tires and I have been incredibly impressed with the comfort and ride, far superior ride to the GP5000 tires that I'm used to riding. The Vittorias were a B!%CH to get mounted, but the ride makes them worth it. Fingers crossed that I avoid flats for awhile at least! BTW - I got 2 tires for $98 on ebay and it looks like the deal is still available.

https://www.vittoria.com/us/en/tires.../corsa-control
Old 05-12-21, 09:12 AM
ZudeJammer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Series V 1985, Motobecane Grand Touring 1982, Specialized Stumpjumper 1993, Raleigh International 1972, Raleigh Grand Prix 1972, Kuwahara Count 1983, Trek Cirrus 1987, Shogun 2001 1983, Cannondale SM700 1990

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 96 Posts
Vittoria Corsa G+ are awesome....but no flat protection. I'm riding 2 gator hardshell now after the Corsa's both popped with not even 500mi on them. One of the Corsa's survived but the other got a major cut on the thin sidewall. Hardshell are terrible but it beats walking after you run over some sharp glass or metal.
Likes For ZudeJammer:
Old 05-12-21, 11:15 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
For velo or vintage, I almost always go IRC. Not just because of price, but they have a solid reputation and my personal experience with them has been good.
Look for High Racer, High Pressure or Roadlite. The company is still in business, but you can find N.O.S. gumwalls from the 70's-80's online.
I have 700x28's on my Manufrance Hirondelle; (Roadlite front, Roadtour rear). They are great.
Old 05-12-21, 11:20 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
How did you like those Michelins, Randy?
Old 05-12-21, 05:35 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
For velo or vintage, I almost always go IRC. Not just because of price, but they have a solid reputation and my personal experience with them has been good.
Look for High Racer, High Pressure or Roadlite. The company is still in business, but you can find N.O.S. gumwalls from the 70's-80's online.
I have 700x28's on my Manufrance Hirondelle; (Roadlite front, Roadtour rear). They are great.
I remember those tires very well. They were the best value back in the day. But riding 40-year-old tires sounds suicidal. Not only that, modern tires are better in every measure.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-14-21, 08:28 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
I'm trying to thread the needle between profit and the public good:
I have an un ridden Continental GP4000 700x28 that I would pass on for the $40 net it cost me.