Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Ohio to Erie in June anyone? And few questions about Cleveland?

Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Old 04-27-21, 09:49 AM
Yul

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi, I'm planning a week long ride that cross Ohio from Cincinnati to Cleveland. I'm 62 male and planning this as a credit card tour - hotels and restaurants. I'm looking for a companion willing to enjoy 65 average daily miles with minimum load. I'm planning to start on the Memorial Day weekend and can be flexible if needed. .

I see Cleveland as the most challenging part of this ride and have few questions.
What would be the best route through downtown going north after I cross I-90 on the trail and to Rock & Roll Hall of Fame?
Any suggestion on where to park my car for a week in or around downtown? I plan to stay a night in Cleveland, then rent a car and drive to the starting point in Cincinnati
Old 04-27-21, 12:07 PM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 336 Posts
Planning riding OTET in late August-early September, and have done a fair bit of research as well as local riding on the north end.

While my plans for the tour don't include the RNRHOF (been there a zillion times since I'm from Cleveland), I think the best route there is as follows (starting from the Towpath):

https://goo.gl/maps/BRPSC3rn75uSghvP9

In this scenario, you'd cross I-90 on the West 11th pedestrian bridge and just ride through the flats to downtown CLE. You'll have a climb out of the flats up Saint Clair, but nothing you couldn't handle if you survived the Amish country stretch.
Old 04-27-21, 01:40 PM
Yul

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you A_D_A_M. This is good help.

Since you local to Cleveland I have another question. I'll have one extra day in Cleveland and want to spend it cycling in nice area or trails. What would you suggest? What's your favorite?
I'm looking at one trail on the west side that goes along Valley Pkwy for about 34 miles. Is that a good trail?
Likes For Yul:
Old 04-27-21, 01:56 PM
a_d_a_m

Originally Posted by Yul
Thank you A_D_A_M. This is good help.

Since you local to Cleveland I have another question. I'll have one extra day in Cleveland and want to spend it cycling in nice area or trails. What would you suggest? What's your favorite?
I'm looking at one trail on the west side that goes along Valley Pkwy for about 34 miles. Is that a good trail?
Valley Parkway would be my recommendation since you will have already traversed the Towpath. Valley is all paved and slightly more hilly, but again no worse than some of what you will have already dealt with.

Plus, it will be the easiest one to get to without a car.
Old 05-03-21, 01:19 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 373 Times in 225 Posts
Most (but certainly not all) of what you are looking for can be found at https://ohiotoerietrail.org/

You can purchase a set of maps to guide you along the way, but the attractions are not well marked. Head over to Google for that one.

I will riding the trail a week later with my brother and SIL; combo of camping and staying with friends. Conveniently, the trail passes about a mile from my house, so night #2 is at home.
Likes For bblair:
Old 05-04-21, 07:52 AM
a_d_a_m

Please share your experiences when you both complete your tours! I look forward to hearing about a successful trip.
Old 05-04-21, 08:32 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Count on it.

BTW, I thought that I found a set of detour instructions for construction north of Cinci. Since I knew I would remember how to find it, I didn't save the link. And of course, now I can't find it. Anyone know where that is, or even better, if the detour is marked on the trail?
Old 05-04-21, 05:10 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
10 or 11 of us are going from Cleveland to Cincy in July. We're staying in hotels since camping can be difficult to find at times.
Old 05-05-21, 09:59 AM
bblair

Originally Posted by Yul
Hi, I'm planning a week long ride that cross Ohio from Cincinnati to Cleveland. I'm 62 male and planning this as a credit card tour - hotels and restaurants. I'm looking for a companion willing to enjoy 65 average daily miles with minimum load. I'm planning to start on the Memorial Day weekend and can be flexible if needed. .

I see Cleveland as the most challenging part of this ride and have few questions.
What would be the best route through downtown going north after I cross I-90 on the trail and to Rock & Roll Hall of Fame?
Any suggestion on where to park my car for a week in or around downtown? I plan to stay a night in Cleveland, then rent a car and drive to the starting point in Cincinnati
YUL have you found a way to get from Cleveland back to Cincinnati? Car rentals one way are tough to find and it looks like we will have to somehow get to the CLE airport and return to the Cinci/Northern KY airport. Doable, I guess, but not great.
Old 05-05-21, 05:22 PM
Yul

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
BBLAIR: I'm planning to rent a small SUV and drive it from Cleveland to Cin. I see one way rentals available from few different locations in Cleveland, even in the very center at 1799 Superior Ave. The drop-off at 212 W Fourth St, Cincinnati. I checked a week ago and now and prices are going up. I also checked with VagasVelo and their price for 1 rider is about the same as car rental, but getting cheaper with 2 or more riders. And they already booked for some weekends.

I'm still on a fence with this OTET ride as I'm thinking to join another week long Western OH ride at peoplecycling.org in mid June. It is a small group ride of 16 people, staying in hotels and they didn't get the required number of riders yet. So on May 12 they will let me know if that ride will happen or not. If not - I will start booking my OTET ride - car rental, hotels.

Please let us know what was you transportation choice and how it went.
Old 05-06-21, 06:00 PM
bblair

YUL-
Took me forever to find a rental car. Most of the small locations are closed on Sunday's, which is what we need. Some appear to be closed permanently. So I think we will somehow get to the airport car rental hub and go from there. Either cycle, or one of us Uber or something like that. Nobody wants to drive 3 bikers with gear.

VagasVelo didn't have our date available either, unfortunately.

I think the hardest part of this trip will be the organizing and logistics.
Old 05-06-21, 07:16 PM
Yul

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
YUL-
Took me forever to find a rental car. Most of the small locations are closed on Sunday's, which is what we need. Some appear to be closed permanently. So I think we will somehow get to the airport car rental hub and go from there. Either cycle, or one of us Uber or something like that. Nobody wants to drive 3 bikers with gear.

VagasVelo didn't have our date available either, unfortunately.

I think the hardest part of this trip will be the organizing and logistics.
I agree, unfortunately logistics might be hard and expensive. I used to cross PA 3 times from OH to NJ and always was renting a car to get to my starting point. So hope it will work this time too. In some form. Maybe to try U-houl? Or autoslash.com, or even Costco car rental. I still have about a month to figure this out. Please let me know how you finally managed to solve this.
Old 05-07-21, 06:13 AM
a_d_a_m

Originally Posted by bblair
Count on it.

BTW, I thought that I found a set of detour instructions for construction north of Cinci. Since I knew I would remember how to find it, I didn't save the link. And of course, now I can't find it. Anyone know where that is, or even better, if the detour is marked on the trail?
Last I checked there was no posted detour. The construction is here: 7837 Old 3C Hwy, Maineville, OH
Old 05-07-21, 08:23 AM
a_d_a_m

I started playing around on Google Maps. Not sure if this is going to be safe, due to increased vehicular traffic trying to bypass the official detour, but...there's not a lot of options. Like all Ohio road projects, the scheduled time to completion is totally up in the air. Miami Valley Trails indicates 40-50 days and can only advise until "mid or late July". Hope they finish early (or at least before my August tour)!
Old 05-07-21, 11:30 AM
Yul

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How we know the repair on the Old 3C bridge affects the trail? Maybe it is not. Or even if it is there probably is a way to walk around. I wouldn't start to go around until I get to the point and see what is there. It would be interesting to find any updates from local riders
Here is what I found: For the safety of trail users and motorists, ODNR and ODOT officials determined the temporary closure of the trail was necessary. The Little Miami Scenic Trail will be closed where it crosses Old 3-C. The trail will be open to the north and to the south, but no trail traffic will be allowed to cross Old 3-C. So it looks like the trail is open on both sides of old 3c, but not for crossing of old 3c. Probably they don't want anyone crossing while heavy equipment is moving to and from the bridge. My guess: it is possible to safely walk across. But input from locals or recent riders would be valuable.

Last edited by Yul; 05-07-21 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-08-21, 05:21 AM
a_d_a_m

Originally Posted by Yul
How we know the repair on the Old 3C bridge affects the trail?
The link indicates that it affects the trail, that's all I know for certain.
But...that doesn't mean I wouldn't also try riding up to the closure and seeing what the scoop is before bailing for the detour.