Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Let's see your Marinoni

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Let's see your Marinoni

Old 01-31-20, 05:32 PM
fvernon

Bikes: BMC Road V2; '17 Marin Pine Mountain 2; '91 Marinoni Special TSX; '89 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp; '98 Salsa La Cruz; '79 Centurion Pro Tour; '77 Romic custom sport-tour; '77 Centurion Semi-Pro; '23 Kona Sutra LTD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts

'91 Marinoni Special TSX is repainted, rebuilt, and back on the road. A few upgrades from the original build (different headset, stem, crankset/pedals, wheelset, and saddle), and I love the green paint. And yes, I know I cross-chained this briefly while pulling over to stop for the pic--it was my first ride on it, and I wasn't really paying close enough attention to only having 8 speeds in the back. Quite the wake-up call when I looked down and saw I was already only 1 shift away from a jammed system. Looks like I can safely get into my 3rd largest cog while in my big ring, and vice-versa with my 3rd smallest cog & small ring--I hadn't used this era Dura-Ace before, but it shouldn't take too long before I don't really need to think my way through my shifting.

Anyway, I must say the frame is simultaneously one of the smoothest and, oddly, stiffest steel frames I've ridden in a long time. Very comfortable while cruising and eats up the road vibrations but stiff enough that it charges with great acceleration and climbs like a champ. This just may be my go-to road bike for the foreseeable future.
Likes For fvernon:
Old 02-04-20, 01:36 PM
dan911

Bikes: Marinoni Piuma Custom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by fvernon

'91 Marinoni Special TSX is repainted, rebuilt, and back on the road. A few upgrades from the original build (different headset, stem, crankset/pedals, wheelset, and saddle), and I love the green paint. And yes, I know I cross-chained this briefly while pulling over to stop for the pic--it was my first ride on it, and I wasn't really paying close enough attention to only having 8 speeds in the back. Quite the wake-up call when I looked down and saw I was already only 1 shift away from a jammed system. Looks like I can safely get into my 3rd largest cog while in my big ring, and vice-versa with my 3rd smallest cog & small ring--I hadn't used this era Dura-Ace before, but it shouldn't take too long before I don't really need to think my way through my shifting.

Anyway, I must say the frame is simultaneously one of the smoothest and, oddly, stiffest steel frames I've ridden in a long time. Very comfortable while cruising and eats up the road vibrations but stiff enough that it charges with great acceleration and climbs like a champ. This just may be my go-to road bike for the foreseeable future.

This is a nice looking bike !

Bravo !
Old 02-09-20, 01:40 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,456 Posts

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-01-20, 02:28 PM
Dannyboy21

Bikes: 1980 Marinoni Special, 1987 Ciocc Microf. C40, 1978 Raleigh Competition GS, 1982 Colnago Super, 1972 Gitane Pro TdF, 1976 Belgian Diamant by Martelly, 1989 Trek 520, 1972 Dawes Galaxy 2014 Cervelo R5, 2020 Salsa Warbird, 2013 Giant Trance X1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 42 Posts
My Marinoni Restoration

The Suntour Superbe build kit

Repainted at Marinoni

I found the 1980 Marinoni frame (along with crank set, and Cinelli stem and drops) on Kijiji last September. It was a little rusty and the paint was rough but it was a great deal. I had it repainted at Marinoni, sourced a full Suntour Superbe build kit via C&V types in Guelph ON and in British Columbia. The Veloflex Vlaanderen tubulars arrived today and were the final piece to finish the build. I mounted them on the waiting Wolber Arc en Ciel tubular rims today. Looking forward to an evening ride tonight.
Old 06-02-20, 06:17 AM
dan911

Bikes: Marinoni Piuma Custom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dannyboy21

the suntour superbe build kit

repainted at marinoni

i found the 1980 marinoni frame (along with crank set, and cinelli stem and drops) on kijiji last september. It was a little rusty and the paint was rough but it was a great deal. I had it repainted at marinoni, sourced a full suntour superbe build kit via c&v types in guelph on and in british columbia. The veloflex vlaanderen tubulars arrived today and were the final piece to finish the build. I mounted them on the waiting wolber arc en ciel tubular rims today. Looking forward to an evening ride tonight.
magnifique !
Likes For dan911:
Old 06-02-20, 08:34 AM
garryg

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 140 Posts
Picked up this 1985 Special this week
Old 06-02-20, 08:50 AM
Dannyboy21

Bikes: 1980 Marinoni Special, 1987 Ciocc Microf. C40, 1978 Raleigh Competition GS, 1982 Colnago Super, 1972 Gitane Pro TdF, 1976 Belgian Diamant by Martelly, 1989 Trek 520, 1972 Dawes Galaxy 2014 Cervelo R5, 2020 Salsa Warbird, 2013 Giant Trance X1

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by garryg
Picked up this 1985 Special this week
Love the colour. Great buy!
Old 07-07-20, 06:34 AM
brokenbus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello from Australia. I have picked up a Marinoni Special with Columbus SPX tubing and a Shimano 600 group set that I have dated around 1988-89. I am striping it down to clean it up and service everything. It has not been looked after well and needs some attention. With the internal brake cable in the top tube, it appears that the outer cable only goes into the top tube approx 1/2 inch rather than going right through and coming out the other end. There is some sort of guide tube though as when I push an inner through it comes out in the other end where it suppose to. Is this normal for a Marinoni frame or is there just a bit of outer cable stuck in there that is acting as a guide? Hope this makes sense. I am also wondering what the correct type of wheels would be for this bike. I am looking for something with 600 hubs but not sure what rims. Any ideas?
Cheers
Nicko
Old 07-07-20, 06:46 AM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 79 Posts
Sooo nice!
Old 07-07-20, 06:51 AM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by brokenbus
Hello from Australia. I have picked up a Marinoni Special with Columbus SPX tubing and a Shimano 600 group set that I have dated around 1988-89. I am also wondering what the correct type of wheels would be for this bike.
I can't help you about the brake cable routing, but if you email the bike's serial number to Marinoni they will be able to tell you the year of the bike, and how it was originally equipped. Their customer service is great.
info@marinonicycles.com
Old 07-07-20, 02:54 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by brokenbus
Hello from Australia. I have picked up a Marinoni Special with Columbus SPX tubing and a Shimano 600 group set that I have dated around 1988-89. I am striping it down to clean it up and service everything. It has not been looked after well and needs some attention. With the internal brake cable in the top tube, it appears that the outer cable only goes into the top tube approx 1/2 inch rather than going right through and coming out the other end. There is some sort of guide tube though as when I push an inner through it comes out in the other end where it suppose to. Is this normal for a Marinoni frame or is there just a bit of outer cable stuck in there that is acting as a guide? Hope this makes sense. I am also wondering what the correct type of wheels would be for this bike. I am looking for something with 600 hubs but not sure what rims. Any ideas?

Cheers

Nicko

Welcome to the forums. The 1st character of the serial number is the year of manufacture. So, provided you can narrow down the decade by frame features, it's easy to determine the year of a Marinoni.

Regarding the internal rear brake routing on Marinoni, what you describe is standard practice. Only about 1cm of cable housing fits into the ports.

A large percentage of Marinoni were custom ordered, so it's possible to find them with a wide variety of OEM groups. Having said that, during this era a Marinoni SLX frame was most likely to be equipped with Campagnolo C-Record or Shimano New Dura-Ace. Marinoni was a Campagnolo distributor, so during this period the factory assembled bicycles typically came with Campagnolo rims, though there was also some Nisi. If the bicycle came through an Australian importer, it's quite possible that they only ordered bare framesets and were assembled by the importer using components which they distributed.
Old 06-21-21, 10:14 PM
Eugenyz
Eugenyz

Bikes: Marinoni Legerro, Mieles, Giant Rapid 1

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Marinoni Legerra 58cm Road bike - Beauty

Picked up an early 2000s Marinoni Legerra Road bike (soft yellow) Colombia Zona Frame, light welded frame it’s a beauty. With a full ultegra groupset . I’m a couple of posts away from being allowed to post pics and i can’t wait to post that in this thread. Would love to pinpoint the year and will check serial numbers now.
Old 06-21-21, 10:33 PM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Eugenyz
Picked up an early 2000s Marinoni Legerra Road bike (soft yellow) Colombia Zona Frame, light welded frame it’s a beauty. With a full ultegra groupset . I’m a couple of posts away from being allowed to post pics and i can’t wait to post that in this thread. Would love to pinpoint the year and will check serial numbers now.
If you contact Marinoni at Cycles Marinoni Inc. and give them your serial number and if you can, a picture of your bike they will identify it for you. At least they did for me last year. They set me the original build sheet for my bike. Their customer support is great.
Old 06-22-21, 05:43 AM
T-Mar

The first character in the serial number will be the last character of the year of manufacture. So, if you know the decade from other features it's easy to determine the year. For example, serial number 23315 from the 2000s would have been manufactured in 2002.
Old 06-22-21, 09:48 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 103 Posts
Here is my 89 SLX Special built with a modern group. It's currently my daily road bike.
Old 06-22-21, 09:11 PM
Paul Waque 

Bikes: Road: 1972 Raleigh Competition,1989 Marinoni, 1990 Limongi. MTN: 1990 GT Team Avalanche, 1991 Rocky Mountain Blizzard, GT Team RTS , Rocky Mountain MSL 50 Element, CCM fat bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 49 Posts
My 89 marinoni.

The groupset is changed from 6 speed Shimano 105 to 8 speed 600. Wheels are Zipp 440

Build sheet, "3t" for Tretubi, Azure, 60 cm, for Ziggy's (Kitchener bike store). I don't understand the rest.
Likes For Paul Waque:
Old 06-23-21, 01:56 AM
Eugenyz
Eugenyz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I looked and looked and could not find the serial number. Maybe under the cable guide of i unscrew it?? It’s an early 2000s soft yellow Leggero with ultegra groupset. At least I believe it’s early 2000s. 2001-2002 im thinking. What am I missing ? They don’t serial all the bikes?
Old 06-23-21, 10:29 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 255 Posts
The serial number on my ‘87 was visible after (temporarily) removing the cable guide under the bottom bracket:

Likes For Dfrost:
Old 06-24-21, 02:06 AM
Eugenyz
Eugenyz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re my last post on my Marinoni Leggero. I have no idea where the serial # is. I looked underneath bottom brocket seat tube, even loosened the cable housing under the bracket to check. I know some custom builds out of Europe like Gios don’t have serial #s is this possible here??
Old 06-24-21, 06:15 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
Several Marinoni bikes have come my way, over the years. This is the one that offers me the nicest ride quality and, to be honest, the only one that I have left. My Marinoni Piuma...

The bike is a 10 speed and full Campagnolo except for the all Mavic wheel set...

I wasn't sure that I would like the oversized tube set, but for $240.00 CND I decided to take a chance. Turns out it was a good buy and I love the bike...

I ride this bike more than any of the others in my collection of four vintage steeds. Funny thing is, I do not think of my Marinoni Piuma as vintage and, even though I hated the color scheme at first, it has definitely grown on me...
Old 06-24-21, 10:43 AM
T-Mar

Re my last post on my Marinoni Leggero. I have no idea where the serial # is. I looked underneath bottom brocket seat tube, even loosened the cable housing under the bracket to check. I know some custom builds out of Europe like Gios don’t have serial #s is this possible here??
All the Marinoni I've seen and owned have had the serial number stamped into the bottom bracket shell. Some manufacturers did change the location on a regular basis, usually each decade, to facilitate identification but this does not appear to have been the case with Marinoni, unless they changed it in the 2000s.

Looking at your bicycle, it would appear to be equipped with Shimano Ultegra (6600 series). This would make it no older than 1998 but the Leggero at that time was built with Columbus EL. The switch to Columbus Zona did not occur until the 2002 model year. The Leggero was still available in 2006 but not 2008. Unfortunately, I don't have any literature for 2007. Regardless, we're still looking at relatively narrow range of 2002 to 2006, possibly 2007. Based on the graphics, I'm leaning towards the earlier half on the timeframe. You might be able to narrow it down further, via the component date codes, assuming they are OEM.

Link to photo album: https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/539572
Old 06-24-21, 12:37 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Bizarre how much my family's camp outside of TBay looks like your camp outside TBay. The only noticeable difference is that our side of Island Lake doesn't have so many camps across from it.
Old 06-24-21, 02:45 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
@ ClydeClydeson This is looking at my camp from the lake. Found, lifted and placed every rock myself. Now I am too bloody old to use the picturesque stairs. Pooey stinko...

Old 05-19-23, 08:55 PM
gsulit@shaw.ca

Bikes: Bianchi Cielo, Miyata 1000, Marinoni Special

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Marinoni Special 48 cm.

Here is my Marinoni Special made of Columbus SL tubing, 10 speed Campagnolo Chorus, SRAM 48/34 crankset, 11/26 cassette, Tiagra and Dura Ace derailleurs.

Likes For gsulit@shaw.ca:
Old 05-20-23, 07:52 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 897 Times in 585 Posts
very interesting brand very nice bikes everyone