Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Why no love for the Garmin edge explore?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Why no love for the Garmin edge explore?

Old 09-06-21, 04:05 PM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
Hi!

Well, as an owner of both Explore and Edge 1030, I wonder did you ever actually used this device or are you actually talking about old Edge Explore 1000 which was a completely different, much weaker unit?

Originally Posted by base2
It could be the lack of battery life. It sucks.
It lasts the whole day. Typical (for me) 40-50 miles ride with navigation consumes less than 30% of the battery. Good enough for me.
It could be the lack of on-device A to B navigation. So your routes can only be preprogrammed from your computer at home.
Wrong. I can, of course, create routes right on the device.
It could be the lack of point of interest or address search ability. So it's not much of an exploring tool either. Good luck using the Explore to find a random coffee or bike shop.
Well, it does have POIs and address search...
It could be the lack of on-device back-to-start calculation. So if you get turned around, you can't use the Explore to navigate back to where you started.
Sure, it does have it, used dozens of times.
It could be the lack of on-device round trip course creation.
Sure, has this as well.
The Explore doesn't have an ambient light sensor. So the screen brightness won't/can't be automatically adjusted to save battery life..
It does have it. To be fare, I always disable it on both Explore and Edge 1030 as I find automatic brightness unreliable.
It could be the Explore is limited to only the United States GPS satellite system.Using the Russian GLONASS or European Galileo systems for increased location resolution or signal durability is not possible.
AFAIR the same is true about Edge 1030. Anyway, no issue in practice, GPS reception is pretty good. Well, at least in the US.
The Explore doesn't support VIRB. If you are someone who has a camera on your bike for action-cam or traffic safety reasons, & would like to control it with a central head unit, this is not the head unit for you.
It does support it.
With the Explore, you can not read/respond to text messeges unless you stop riding & check your actual phone. With other devices a simple screen tap either dismisses the messege or allows a canned response.
You can.
With the Explore, you also lose the ability to reject a phone call with a canned text (Android™ only.) Again, this means you have to stop riding & take the phone call with your actual phone or just let it ring in your jersey pocket until the offending caller gives up.
Again, you can.

If you are someone who uses a Garmin (or Wahoo, or others) as a training tool, either indoors on a trainer or outside: With an Explore, you can not create advanced workouts (create custom, goal-oriented workouts.) You can't set up Interval training. You can't download a training plan.
The Explore won't do V02 max estimate.
You can't race against a Virtual Partner® (train against a digital person as this is not offered.
Recovery Advisor, & Training Effect (aerobic) aren't available either. Neither is Heart rate-based calorie computation or FTP Tracking. So, the Explore is kind of useless for seeing how hard you exerted yourself in an activity or as a training tool of any kind, really.
If you are someone who travels out of cell phone range or does any sort of long distance ultra-endurance competition: The Explore is not InReach® compatible. Your dot-watchers will not see you crashed & rescue will not be coming. Neither will your satellite comms be showing on the Explores' screen. That means stopping the race to read & respond to the satellite messege...a (sometimes 10-15) minutes long process.
The Explore is not Power meter compatible.
This is all true. Well, may be except for calories part - it does calculate them but I'm not sure about the method. And I have no idea about InReach. It does send SMS messages to your emergency contacts in case you crash but you, obviously, need a cell phone and a reception for this to work.

So, basically, this whole list of yours is completely wrong and have very little to do with the reality.

Basically, if you need a unit with great navigation abilities (exactly the same as Edge 1030) first and foremost then Edge Explore can very well be this unit.

It does have:
1) exactly the same navigation features as Edge 1030 (except that with my phone I was never been able to make navigation voice prompts work - they are supposed to work but they didn't, they usually work just fine with 1030 - except sometimes they don't);
2) a slightly smaller (but still quite big, bigger than most other Edges) screen with better colors compared to the screen of 1030;
3) supports all the same sensors except for power meters.

It does not have:
1) pretty much anything training related - virtual partner (great omission!), training plans, workouts, recovery etc.;
2) it doesn't have multiple profiles, just a single one, also amount of data screens is smaller (not a problem in practice) and it doesn't have a dedicated climbs screen;
3) it doesn't have Wi-Fi, only Bluetooth, so it doesn't have ability to share routes with other Edges (as 1030 can) and wireless route download is a bit slower (I recommend using routeCourse app: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/b...474e97f376ac);
4) it doesn't capture temperature during your ride (unless you use a dedicated external sensor) - it does have a hardware sensor but ability to capture the data was removed in one of the software updates.

So, for me, as I still don't have a power meter and don't use bike computer for structured workouts, Edge 1030 is just a faster Edge Explore with bigger screen which has washed out colors. And which supports multiple profiles, which is kind of nice. And dumb at the same time: having multiple profiles Garmin still doesn't offer a way to associate a particular bike with a particular profile.
Likes For Oso Polar:
Old 09-06-21, 04:26 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 927 Posts
Originally Posted by Oso Polar
Hi!

Well, as an owner of both Explore and Edge 1030, I wonder did you ever actually used this device or are you actually talking about old Edge Explore 1000 which was a completely different, much weaker unit?
Well, you must have the most full featured Explore that ever was.

Source:
Screenshot_20210906-151622_Samsung Internet by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

The OP was asking why no love for the Explore models. I answered why there is no love for the Explore models. If Garmin got their act together with something much better, more power to 'em. They have a lot of reputation to counter.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 09-06-21, 04:49 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
I forgot I ran my 830 on battery saver mode on PBP and got 38 hours out of it before I hooked up my external battery. I'm not sure if I ever turned off battery saver mode, I never really noticed any issues with it that I cared about.

Originally Posted by njkayaker
Sure, there are likely more price-sensitive purchasers with $400 power meters.
I almost bought a $200 power meter from Stages on clearance recently, but I decided that was too much right then.
That was twice what I have paid for my power meters so far. All I want is my garmin to collect the data. I'm not exactly doing time trials where I'm worried if I'm riding too hard. I just want to know my training stress so I don't overdo it. I track that over time, not on the bike. I don't think I'm alone in this usage model. Although I can see why they wouldn't want to mess with power meters on a budget device. Lots of complications.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 09-06-21, 05:18 PM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
Well, this source is a set of random checkboxes. Hey, they say that the only Edge that has date and time is Edge 1030 Plus, seriously?
BTW, may be important for someone - unlike what this screenshot says, Edge Explore is in fact not compatible with Garmin battery pack. However, I believe one can use a third party external battery by connecting it through the regular Micro USB port - it does work while charging.

The OP was asking why no love for the Explore models.
IMHO it is mostly because they don't advertise it much to not damage the sales of more expensive models that are simply not necessary unless one needs the training features - and the wast majority of people don't need them. Explore has laps and eating/drinking remainders but this is pretty much the extent of it (and this is what may be enough for many). Plus, as someone already wrote here, many plan to get a power meter. For sure! May be next year! Or a year after next! But for sure, power meter is cool! Hey, this is the reason I got Edge 1030. This, and the fact it was a flash sale for $299 - for this price it is well worth it IMHO.
Old 09-06-21, 05:42 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I have one, the battery meter is comically inaccurate, it will say I have 0% battery life and keep on running for hours with the screen on (no backlight) while paired to a Varia radar and a HRM. The fact that it is inaccurate does leave me feeling unsettled as I dont feel I can rely on it. On device map routing is lame. However I can make a route using heat maps on the app and sync it to the device so thats not too bad a compromise.
Old 09-06-21, 07:27 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​​​Sorry for the random question, but since you follow that, do you know if the Karoo goes on sale? I don't know that I've ever seen it marked down, I'm guessing that isn't worth waiting for?
It was on sale when the K2 was being introduced. Now they only offer things like discounts on the HR monitor. I wish they would discount the out front mounts. At $400 it's a better unit than an Edge 830 in my opinio. The navigation and TBT is far better than I expected.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 09-06-21, 09:40 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 932 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I almost bought a $200 power meter from Stages on clearance recently, but I decided that was too much right then.
That was twice what I have paid for my power meters so far. All I want is my garmin to collect the data. I'm not exactly doing time trials where I'm worried if I'm riding too hard. I just want to know my training stress so I don't overdo it. I track that over time, not on the bike. I don't think I'm alone in this usage model. Although I can see why they wouldn't want to mess with power meters on a budget device. Lots of complications.
Yes, there are many people who buy GPS units that support power meters who are not likely to buy power meters (even, relatively cheap ones). No one was talking about that group.

The issue is whether people who would buy cheaper power meters would be that concerned with spending an extra $150 (or less) to get a head unit that supported those power meters.

I suspect the most people buying power meters (including cheap ones) already spent the money on head units that support them. If so, the fact that the Explore doesn't support power meters is mostly irrelevant.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-06-21 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-07-21, 06:48 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
It could be the lack of battery life. It sucks.

It could be the lack of on-device A to B navigation. So your routes can only be preprogrammed from your computer at home.

It could be the lack of point of interest or address search ability. So it's not much of an exploring tool either. Good luck using the Explore to find a random coffee or bike shop.

It could be the lack of on-device back-to-start calculation. So if you get turned around, you can't use the Explore to navigate back to where you started.

It could be the lack of on-device round trip course creation. Again, not much of a navigation tool.

I'm sure I missed a detail or two, but I think my overall point stands: The Explore is really kind of worthless as a cycling computer. It doesn't support even the most basic of features or abilities Edge or Wahoo users take for granted...I'm actually stuck wondering what it is useful for that a $50 cell phone from the Best Buy isn't better at.
Total BS -- you obviously have never used the Explore. It does all those things exactly the same as the 1030 and 1030 Plus (albeit with slightly slower processing, but certainly capable in use). It's a great device if navigation is your goal.
Likes For redcon1:
Old 09-07-21, 08:24 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2595 Post(s)
Liked 1,923 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
One thing that is never consistent is battery life, which is often all over the map. Somebody on the HH site reported near 19 hrs, of battery life. I've never seen more than 12 to 14 and right now and for unknown reasons is down to 8 or 10. The Edge site has people constantly complaing about the 520 with 4-6 hrs. Others have no issues. No explanations.
Of course you're aware that battery life depends strongly on settings. Screen light, in particular, eats up battery life on a GPS just like it does on a cell phone. Set your screen to full brightness and always on, and 4 hours would be a great battery life with a new battery. Not much of a mystery there.

In addition, the 520 hasn't been made for a few years, so those batteries are getting old. Battery life depends on the number of charge/discharge cycles, as well has the history of the battery (ever leave a device on the charger overnight?). So the 520 comparison isn't particularly illuminating.
Old 09-10-21, 04:54 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by bluehills3149
It seems whenever I read reviews of bike computers the Garmin range is assumed to be 130-530-830-1030 and the Garmin edge explore is ignored.

I'm looking for a new device and the large screen & good mapping of the explore ticks my boxes and for $250 (way less than the $399 edge530 & (gulp) $500+ 1030) it looks like a poor-mans 1030, albeit with a slightly smaller screen, no strava-live & power meter support (no issue for me) but everything else similar.

So what's the deal? It seem few people talk about it or recommend it (even on this site). Are the missing features such a deal-breaker that folks will spend over double the money to get them or are there other downsides?
Yes. I train with power, and send a lot of email to folks using Strava...so for me, I'd never consider the Explore. But, for the needs you've described, the Explore would provide exactly what you need.
Old 09-10-21, 10:07 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
It's not just battery life.

Yet, it seems Garmin sells many more 1030+ than Explores.

If $600 is too much and the Explore does what people need, the Explore is available to them.
My reply was to a particular issue of the need to charge more frequently with an Explore
Old 09-10-21, 12:02 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Steve B.
My reply was to a particular issue of the need to charge more frequently with an Explore
Yes, buying a 1030+ just for battery life doesn’t make too much sense.

But the are also other features that might make it worth while (especially, if you get the 1030+ on sale).

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-10-21 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-16-21, 04:20 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
I've never used the Explore either but it was my understanding that the routing and rerouting was relatively slow like the 520 plus, 820, etc. The 530+ routing/rerouting is extremely quick.
Old 09-22-21, 01:30 PM
Rhondito

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced Revolt 2; 2019 Cannondale Synapse; 2017 Cannondale Habit Lefty; 2010 Blue RD1 (retired)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
The chart posted above is outdated. I have the Explore and there are several features it's shown as not having, that it definitely has now.

I've had mine for a couple of years and have been very happy with it. If I were to buy another I would upgrade to the 1030 though because the Explore isn't compatible with my Di2 shifting.
Old 09-24-21, 06:54 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
I am still using an older 810. When the Explore came out it had some interesting features, just another compelling enough for me to change from what I had, and still have.
Old 09-24-21, 01:59 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I used mine on an 8-ish hour ride using turn by turn navigation with all the connected features turned off. I couldn’t use battery saver mode because of the known bug that prevents the screen from turning back on. I got 8 hours out of it, it died 1.5 miles from the finish line.
Old 09-27-21, 08:59 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
....... I couldn’t use battery saver mode because of the known bug that prevents the screen from turning back on. I got 8 hours out of it, it died 1.5 miles from the finish line.
I've been using mine (occasionally, 95% of my rides I don't need it) with battery saver turned off, screen brightness at 100%, but the backlight timer set at 15 seconds, the shortest interval possible. So the backlight only comes on when the unit is alerting me for a turn, and the screen dims 15 seconds later. IIRC the last time I pushed it to 6 hours I still had about 50% battery left.

Today I took it out on a saved course I know well just to see how I like it with battery saver mode enabled. I expected the screen to go dark and only come on for an alert but that's not what happened......the backlight never came on, the screen remained dimmed (and not too easy to see in direct sunlight) but never turned off, so the only power saving I could see going on is just having those few seconds of backlight at a turn eliminated. I find the enhanced brightness at a turn, when you need to easily see what's going on, very useful and IMHO a bad time to be saving a few seconds worth of battery.

All in all I like the thing but I'll be bringing the relevant pages of the Hagstrom along.......
Old 09-27-21, 10:00 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by kaos joe
... battery saver mode...
As far as I can tell, this is a "desperate" mode.

Use a $10 external battery (along with your Hagstrom pages).
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 09-27-21, 10:15 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
As far as I can tell, this is a "desperate" mode.

Use a $10 external battery (along with your Hagstrom pages).
Yup.