Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

What are you using for a helmet light?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

What are you using for a helmet light?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-21, 03:36 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I have a Lumos Ultra on order from Indiegogo.

Built in headlight/taillight. And it is supposed to be MIPS complaint.

They are supposed to be shipping some helmets now, but my number hasn't been called yet.

Hmmm... it appears as if one can already purchase online the model that I didn't buy.

The Ultra is a second gen, following a previous Lumos release.
Old 07-26-21, 06:01 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
Bontrager is offering a helmet model, the Circuit MIPS, that accepts magnetic mounts for GoPro & Bontrager fore & aft lights. Trek sez these mounts are tested to pop free ('breakaway') at a calculated force level.

I see some of our respondents above said since they've never crashed and hit the top of their helmet, they don't see the sense in a breakaway mount should they ride under a tree branch and snag their light/camera. We all get to make our individual decisions.
Old 07-26-21, 06:20 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I have a Lumos Ultra on order...
There's also a helmet called the Torch with built-in lights.

And it is supposed to be MIPS complaint.
Perhaps 'compliant'? 'MIPS compliant' would be a new term for me. MIPS is a mechanical design which it is said reduces helmet rotational force at impact. It is one of several such designs. It would seem a particular helmet either uses the patented MIPS design under license or does not. Educate me.
Old 07-27-21, 01:47 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs

Perhaps 'compliant'? 'MIPS compliant' would be a new term for me. MIPS is a mechanical design which it is said reduces helmet rotational force at impact. It is one of several such designs. It would seem a particular helmet either uses the patented MIPS design under license or does not. Educate me.
The one review I read on it says it's a MIPS helmet not MIPS compliant whatever that means
Old 08-26-21, 09:41 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
To see or be seen ? I have the little usb red lights for the back to be seen. Very light and i don't even know it's on my helmet. For a light to be bright enough to see ( used two 18650 batteries ) and last a while I used a miners head lap. While it was great where ever I pointed my head I had light I found it to heavy and I was always having to adjust my helmet. I took off the heavy head lap and just use the head lights on my bike for being able to see in front.
Old 08-27-21, 07:37 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs

nice

https://www.amazon.com/TORCH-APPAREL...017MDNLJY?th=1

but it's $139. I'd get it if I was a city commuter but not for the % of road rides I do, which are mostly out in the "suburbs". nice choice of colors tho! I am in the market for a white helmet for the winter
Old 08-27-21, 07:54 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by tcs
Bontrager is offering a helmet model, the Circuit MIPS, that accepts magnetic mounts for GoPro & Bontrager fore & aft lights. Trek sez these mounts are tested to pop free ('breakaway') at a calculated force level.
I see some of our respondents above said since they've never crashed and hit the top of their helmet, they don't see the sense in a breakaway mount should they ride under a tree branch and snag their light/camera. We all get to make our individual decisions.
breakaway sounds really smart. last summer my helmet camera hit a tree branch while I was bushwhacking a remote desolate trail. the thing broke right off. easy fix & a minor inconvenience. if I was knocked out or disabled I doubt my body would ever have been found. that would have been a long agonizing death

fast forward to the :40 sec mark ;-)

Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 09-21-21, 04:10 AM
rumrunn6

couldn't resist a sale & ordered a light from Magicshine.com (not the same as magicshine.us?) found out it's coming from China. found out Action Led is not the same company. where have I been? the Alty 500 can be used on bars & helmet. I won't get it for a while & I don't need more lights. or do I? never thought I'd buy a USB rechargeable light. but at $25 I had to try it

been enjoying my MJ-906 as well but requires an external battery. also mounting in on a helmet was a whole ordeal