Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Finding Swiss Bottom Brackets at Reasonable Cost!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-21, 07:38 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts

​​​​​​Several of you know this already, no doubt. But to those that might think Swiss bottom brackets are unobtainium, or think the excellent but expensive Phil Wood BB is the only option, there are other choices.

My favorite source for Swiss bottom brackets? Old beater Motobecanes. Of all the French brands, Motobecane seemed to LOVE swiss BB threading, and used it for many years. Even better, as a source of parts, Motobecane embraced Japanese made components, so you are going to find good Suntour derailleurs and SR forged stems (in French OD).

I picked up a nothing special, beat up Motobecane Grand Touring. It came with my favorite rear derailleur (Suntour Vx GT), a French sized SR stem, a rebranded Sugino crankset, and a swiss bottom bracket. Even if it did not have the swiss BB, it would have been worth it for the other parts.

Wonder what all the alphabet soup stands for on the fixed cup?

Be sure to break out your 35mm BB. tool!

Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 09-23-21, 07:49 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
IRD offers Swiss thread mounting rings for their cartridge bottom bracket. IIRC, the mounting rings also fit some other cartridges, perhaps Phil and SunTour.

https://www.interlocracing.com/shop/...bottom+bracket
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 09-23-21, 09:16 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
​​​​​​...Wonder what all the alphabet soup stands for on the fixed cup?...
35 x P1 is the threading standard (35mm pitch diameter and 1.0mm thread pitch)

SR-SC-L indicates the manufacturer, cup grade and threading direction. Of course SR is Sakae Ringyo. SC is the cup grade, which was SR's 2nd lowest in the late 1970s and early 1980s. The adjustable cup has an SI grade, which was SR's lowest. The "L" indicates left hand threading. SR and some other Japanese companies used "IS" to designate Italian threads but since SR had an SI grade this could be confusing if read upside down. I believe this is why they use the "L" designation on their fixed cup to indcate threading direction.

Last edited by T-Mar; 09-23-21 at 10:34 AM.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 09-23-21, 09:55 AM
Nwvlvtnr 

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 80 Posts
Recently bought a set of “French” Phil Wood cups on eBay for a rather low price, they turned out to be Swiss.
Old 09-23-21, 12:59 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Several years ago I successfully converted an aluminum ISO-threaded BB fixed cup to Swiss by force-threading it into my Swiss-threaded 1980 Peugeot PKN-10 frame. The setup still serves my elder son today.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-23-21, 02:47 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Several years ago I successfully converted an aluminum ISO-threaded BB fixed cup to Swiss by force-threading it into my Swiss-threaded 1980 Peugeot PKN-10 frame. The setup still serves my elder son today.
I similarly used a breaker bar to effect a back-and-forth motion so as to work a British-threaded, 115mm BB-70 bottom bracket solidly into a Swiss-threaded 1979 PX10.
By "solidly", I meant that the cups bottomed out with a fairly crisp feel, assuring that the bb cartridge was indeed in there tight.

It has been in use for about nine years now.

Likes For dddd:
Old 09-23-21, 04:34 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
35 x P1 is the threading standard (35mm pitch diameter and 1.0mm thread pitch)

SR-SC-L indicates the manufacturer, cup grade and threading direction. Of course SR is Sakae Ringyo. SC is the cup grade, which was SR's 2nd lowest in the late 1970s and early 1980s. The adjustable cup has an SI grade, which was SR's lowest. The "L" indicates left hand threading. SR and some other Japanese companies used "IS" to designate Italian threads but since SR had an SI grade this could be confusing if read upside down. I believe this is why they use the "L" designation on their fixed cup to indcate threading direction.
Once again, T-Mar solves the mystery.

I was hoping T-Mar would wade in. I knew the 35 x P1 was the 35mm diameter, 1mm pitch, but that was the end of my knowledge. And French and Swiss both used 35 x P1. I was hoping to learn a short cut to knowing Swiss threading, as I had to use a lot of force and a three foot long breaker bar to get it off. It was one of those, "this must be Swiss, so I am going for it" moments. Great when it works, bad when it doesn't.

Of course, the only truly "Swiss" threading is on the fixed cup, as it has a left hand thread (with a right hand thread on the adjustable cup), while the French is right hand fixed and adjustable cup.

Didn't realize they also had a cup grading system. The adjustable cup kind of looked like one of the cheaper units, still quite functional.

I've seen Swiss on Motobecanes from 1977, to as late as 1982. But I also found French threading on a 1979 Motobecane.

I've never cared for the IRD bottom brackets, but I am sure they are fine.

Last edited by wrk101; 09-23-21 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-23-21, 04:45 PM
Nwvlvtnr 

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
"this must be Swiss, so I am going for it" moments. Great when it works, bad when it doesn't.
Had the opposite happen to me, I learned the hard way my PR10 had Swiss threads. Thankfully I didn’t crack the shell or anything crazy and I was already taking it apart to install a Velo Orange threadless BB on account of the non drive side being ovalized.
Old 02-10-24, 02:59 AM
eldercycling

Bikes: Motobecane Mirage, Specialized Allez Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
IRD offers Swiss thread mounting rings for their cartridge bottom bracket. IIRC, the mounting rings also fit some other cartridges, perhaps Phil and SunTour.
This exactly what I have been looking for, for months. I got a GxP style bottom bracket that was specially designed for swiss threads on French bikes. I will be trying the IRD next.
Old 02-11-24, 05:00 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
https://www.roi-cycles.com/product-p...-22mm-axle-gxp
Old 02-11-24, 05:24 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,141 Posts
Cleaning up the work bench, and found these. If some one is looking for them PM me. First to PM and cost of shipping. RH threads on fixed cup, LH threads on adjustable cup. No lock ring available. Smiles, MH

Both cups but not a matching pair marked 35XP1

Insides are clean and no pitting.
Depending on the needs I may be able to scrounge up a spindle to fit.