Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Insurer Blames Elite Cyclist for His Own Death

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-15, 01:43 PM
jimblairo

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate 2006, Litespeed Pisgah , Specialized Roubaix 2008, Trek Madone 2011

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ouch! Sad, very sad.

B.C.?s public auto insurer blames ?careless? cyclist for his own death in crash with alleged drunk driver | National Post
Old 10-29-15, 01:58 PM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, sad and very poor response from ins co. Probably should be moved to A & S. Not much else to say but get an attorney.
Old 10-29-15, 02:26 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Eh, it's a legal strategy to limit their exposure, but it certainly comes across like dirty pool, especially considering it's a government agency.

Yay, governments.
Old 10-29-15, 02:46 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Old 10-29-15, 02:53 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I just don't gett why people hate insurance companies.
Old 10-29-15, 03:07 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I was riding on the shoulder and was hit by a car passing on the right. His insurance company said it was my fault because I was riding a racing bike.
Old 10-29-15, 03:26 PM
Grillparzer
Grillparzer

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
This seems to be a common theme in Canada. I can't find a link to it now, but there was another cyclist killed recently by a DUI. The police said the cyclist was responsible for the accident because he didn't have lights on his bike.
Old 10-29-15, 03:44 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Grillparzer
This seems to be a common theme in Canada. I can't find a link to it now, but there was another cyclist killed recently by a DUI. The police said the cyclist was responsible for the accident because he didn't have lights on his bike.
In fairness, that must at least be acknowledged as a contributory factor. Not knowing the particulars of the case you're referring to, there's a sliding scale from a cautious driver who's had 2 light beers with dinner late at night, proceeding cautiously when someone dressed in black on a midnighted out TT bike comes rocketing down a 20% slope, through a red light, and buries his helmetless head in the grill; to a stoned, previously-suspended coal-roller who, in trying to twist open his 2nd bottle of Jack ramps his lifted Silverado up onto a cycle lane in the middle of Sunday afternoon and takes out a family of 4 on their weekly outing to the park.

The former at least has an element of "there but by the grace of God" to it, and in those shoes you'd at least want all the facts that are in your favour to be noted. The latter, lock him away and melt down the key.

I do think it's ridiculously tone-deaf of a government insurance company to try and blame the victim in the OP, though.
Old 10-29-15, 03:46 PM
Blackdays
Boom.

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
I was riding on the shoulder and was hit by a car passing on the right. His insurance company said it was my fault because I was riding a racing bike.
Similarly - lady ran a stop sign and t-boned me a few years ago while texting. Insurance company claimed, for months, that I was at fault and had failed to take the proper precautions to not put myself in harms way.

I would have worn a nicer kit if I knew I was about to leave a dent on the hood of an Acura.
Old 10-29-15, 04:58 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3141 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
Man, I hope there's a particularly awful place in Hell for the ethically corrupt, morally bankrupt, soulless monsters that would actually file that kind of drivel in court in such a case.
Old 10-29-15, 06:11 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Kelly B who was the other cyclist killed in that incident was a friend from a long time ago. These were safety conscious strong cyclists who were on their side of the road. This situation seems to be a cookie cutter template that the insurance company is following which sucks to say the least but will hopefully sort itself out. There are no winners in this. A drunk driver mowed these guys down, plain and simple... 3 dead and multiple lives ruined forever.
Old 10-29-15, 06:28 PM
Inpd

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cleary he should have had eyes on the back of his head ...

It is because of this very issue, there are no significant penalties for hitting cyclists, why is why I don't ride on the road.

The best example is this one Jury Acquits Driver Who Killed The Sister In Law of Professor Alan Dershowitz | JONATHAN TURLEY

In summary: USPS worker slowly rolls over woman on bike, bystanders scream at him to stop, he leaves the scene of the accident, jury acquits him!

Later Alan Dershowitz and brother won a $4.6M civil suit, but not criminal charges were ever laid again!
Old 10-29-15, 08:48 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Double Jeopardy. Once you are found innocent, you cannot be tried again for the same offense.
Old 10-29-15, 09:13 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
The insurance company was using an old legal precedent, often paraphrased as "if you don't like my driving, stay off the sidewalk".

Ben
Old 10-29-15, 09:47 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow ICBC, wow.
Old 10-29-15, 10:11 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Man, I hope there's a particularly awful place in Hell for the ethically corrupt, morally bankrupt, soulless monsters that would actually file that kind of drivel in court in such a case.
+1
Old 10-30-15, 02:42 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18375 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
Is there an actual drug and alcohol screen of all participants in the accident? It would seem that would be mandatory for a fatal or serious injury accident.

I think it is a valid point that the rider was probably not hugging the shoulder. However, if the cyclist was fully in his own lane, and the car was not, then the car is 100% at fault.

Unfortunately one can never count on a jury being knowledgeable about cycling. And, at least in the USA, jury selection isn't about choosing knowledgeable jurors, rather it is about choosing a jury to win, so it is quite possible that cyclists and sports enthusiasts would get excluded from the jury.
Old 10-30-15, 03:42 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is more than sad. It is criminal. But the ICBC doesn't care. I know it sounds opportunistic. But since the ICBC didn't find the driver at fault for crossing the line and killing the cyclists. I hope they did find the driver at fault for the passenger that also died.
Old 10-30-15, 10:23 AM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
My college English prof said that Dante's Divine Comedy should have had a special place for wordiness.
Old 10-30-15, 11:17 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
It's just a pleading. It's quite typical to put every conceivable defense in the answer.

Not an expert on Canadian law, but typically in most US jurisdictions, you don't put an affirmative defense in your answer, you waive it.

So you plead the kitchen sink, then things get whittled down as the facts are developed in discovery. There's really nothing to get worked up about here.

It's highly likely this case will settle and likely for policy limits.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 10-30-15, 11:59 AM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I just don't gett why people hate insurance companies.
And lawyers.

It's the lawyers' job to represent the insurance company to pay out as little as possible. Lawyers just have to follow legal and ethical standards. They don't have to have a moral compass. Actually, having one might be a detriment to being successful in that profession.

GH
Old 10-30-15, 12:14 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I There's really nothing to get worked up about here.
This is A&S; there is ALWAYS something to get worked up about!
Old 10-30-15, 12:18 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
It's just a pleading. It's quite typical to put every conceivable defense in the answer.

Not an expert on Canadian law, but typically in most US jurisdictions, you don't put an affirmative defense in your answer, you waive it.

So you plead the kitchen sink, then things get whittled down as the facts are developed in discovery. There's really nothing to get worked up about here.

Correct in all respects. Civil practice in B.C. as in most Canadian jurisdictions is little different from that in the U.S.; the tactic (and that's all it is) under discussion here is a good example.
Old 10-30-15, 02:10 PM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Typical gamesmanship angling for a reduced settlement.
Old 10-30-15, 02:29 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ColaJacket
And lawyers.

It's the lawyers' job to represent the insurance company to pay out as little as possible. Lawyers just have to follow legal and ethical standards. They don't have to have a moral compass. Actually, having one might be a detriment to being successful in that profession.

GH
Always an interesting juxtaposition when someone posts something like ColaJacket did under a real lawyer's post.

What's your moral compass like, merlin??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.